Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patriots hire ex-Chiefs offensive coordinator Daboll

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Patriots hire ex-Chiefs offensive coordinator Daboll

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/14...offensive.html

last year it was mcdaniels
    this year Daboll
    is this even legit?

Posted on Mon, Jan. 14, 2013
    Patriots hire ex-Chiefs offensive coordinator Daboll
    By RANDY COVITZ
    The Kansas City Star
    Former Chiefs offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is back in New England.

Daboll, who was part of Romeo Crennel’s staff in 2012, will work as an offensive assistant with the Patriots, for whom he served as a defensive assistant in 2000-01 and wide receivers coach during 2002-06.

“It’s great to have Brian back,” said New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. “He’s a very good football coach, very knowledgeable and can help us in a lot of different ways. Certainly having another set of eyes with experience and has a lot of understanding of our system and how we go about doing things, I think, is only a positive for us and can help our football team going forward. I look forward to doing that with Brian.”

McDaniels served in a similar capacity at the end of last year after the Rams coaching staff was dismissed. Daboll will start immediately, helping the Patriots prepare for Sunday’s AFC Championship Game against Baltimore.

“Last year when I came back, really anything they asked me to do, I was excited to do,” McDaniels said. “You know, anything you can do to help at this time of year is useful, whether that’s drawing practice cards or sitting in a meeting and having a few ideas on a certain situation in the game plan or anything like that during the course of a week. Everything is so important; every detail is very critical at this time of year, and having another football coach on your staff to help is nothing but helpful for us.”

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Legit? What, hiring a coach?

Unlike our dunces, Bellicheat leaves no stone unturned. Daboll was a key member of their staff who became available. So, unlike bringing in a dope
    like Sparano (at OC, no less), the Pats add someone who can actually help the team. Smart move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why can't they re-hire a coach? BB gave the guy his start in the league.

Spygate, WR picks, a gimmick offense, a anybody but the pats in the SB, and now questioning why they should be allowed to re-sign a coach that was let go by being fired last week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not against any NFL rules. The guy was fired so is free to be signed. Just like any player who was recently cut is free to be signed. Smart move by the Pats, adding a guy who can help them.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Former Pats WR coach that coached a bunch of JAG/average pieces while in NE.....and most of these WRs wear shiny rings out at night.
    BB working 24/7 365 days a year......while Wrecks is getting inked and working on his latest and greatest.....instilling his personality on the offense....in year 5.
    Imagine an owner buying in on what Wrecks sells?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    BB working 24/7 365 days a year......while Wrecks is getting inked and working on his latest and greatest.....instilling his personality on the offense....in year 5.
    Imagine an owner buying in on what Wrecks sells?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. He left NE to join Mangini with the Jets in 2006. You'd think Daboll would be dead to Bellicheck like Mangini is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    Interesting. He left NE to join Mangini with the Jets in 2006. You'd think Daboll would be dead to Bellicheck like Mangini is.
    Nah, big difference. From the rumors that swirled around at the time, Mangini not only went against BB's advice, but he was trying to recruit coaches and players as well as a couple of other things. He was locked out of Gillette and it was rumored that Mangini had stolen a bunch of Patriots material to go with him to the Jets that wasn't his.

If true, that's a huge no no. Coaches work on their personal play books and materials for their entire career and consider them personal property. They construct the team play books from those personal books but when they leave a team, their personal book is what they take with them. The rumor has it that Mangini took some personal play books that weren't his as well as player evaluations from the Patriots. The Patriots have folders on just about every player in the NFL and their strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies. Rumor has it that he took a lot of folders with him including the files on the Jets players and Patriots players.

Don't know how much about what Mangini did is true but he was immediately denied access to facilities after the plane ride home from their last game that season (playoffs).

NOTE:
    When John Lynch came to the Patriots, he said the first thing he was handed was the player evaluation folder on him. He said it had everything about him including every injury and any kind of tendency he had. He also said it was as thick as a phone book.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 01-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    BB is all-seeing, all-caring.....with a soft spot for those who went astray. Woody should take heed and forgive his wet nurse, the woman who fed him him from the teet for nine years. Why young Woody sent this mother of 8 to the streets is unclear, buy apparently she ate some spicy Thai that didn't agree with the delicate 9 year old's pallet

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    When you win 9th Division titles in 10 years you can do this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    When you have Tom Brady as your QB you can do this.
    Fixed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Coaches work on their personal play books and materials for their entire career and consider them personal property. They construct the team play books from those personal books but when they leave a team, their personal book is what they take with them. The rumor has it that Mangini took some personal play books that weren't his as well as player evaluations from the Patriots. The Patriots have folders on just about every player in the NFL and their strengths, weaknesses, and tendencies. Rumor has it that he took a lot of folders with him including the files on the Jets players and Patriots players.

You just made that up, didn't you?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you win 9th Division titles in 10 years you can do this.
    Ten minutes of scheming against Wreck's ground and pound gets Belichick alot of boat time with his MILF

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    True story. Patriot security also discovered Mangini downloaded team files and subsequently locked him out of the stadium by changing lock codes. Mangini shows up and is locked out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BB hates the jets but With Mangini he just didn't think that the situation with the jets was changed enough since he bailed on the jets. He advised against going to the jets and he went anyway. Mangini like McDaniels came up as kids who he felt an attachment to. He felt it was a betrayal of a friendship.
    There was no doubt that Mangini could have went to multiple teams, his choice of the jets hurt him. Daboll was just a young guy looking for something better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Mangini could give NE an edge BB would not hesitate to hire him back either, it's all about winning, nothing more. We at the Jets hold grudges and place wals up between us and winning.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope. I know this because my brother is a D1A coach and keeps his under lock and key (encrypted on computer).

Brother's Father-in-law is retired NFL coach. His son (father-in-law) is also an NFL coach.

Brother played for top 20 team in 80s and many of his coaches from that team are in NFL or college.

More than a few NFL coaches/connections are close to family.

The coaching circle is smaller than people think.

Not bragging because they're not my connections but I've actually talked to my brother about this subject (playbooks) because he wanted my advice about storing it (computer) a few years back.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Fixed
    But Tom Brady is a system QB though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Nope. I know this because my brother is a D1A coach and keeps his under lock and key (encrypted on computer).

Brother's Father-in-law is retired NFL coach. His son (father-in-law) is also an NFL coach.

Brother played for top 20 team in 80s and many of his coaches from that team are in NFL or college.

More than a few NFL coaches/connections are close to family.

The coaching circle is smaller than people think.

Not bragging because they're not my connections but I've actually talked to my brother about this subject (playbooks) because he wanted my advice about storing it (computer) a few years back.
    Whut??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whut??

Is that a question or did it not make sense? He asked me if I made the stuff up about coaches protecting their books and I indicated how I might have privy to such info.