Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: For those who wanted Mangini second go-round, he agreed with Fox's decision to kneel

  1. #41
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I love how people even discuss the "impossibility" of Peyton getting 40 yards in 3-5 plays. This might be the greatest QB of all-time. Child's play for him to find guys underneath or on the sideline and work his magic. I would expect the 32nd best QB in the NFL to be at least capable of doing this (otherwise he doesn't belong in the league). But we are talking a guy who at worse was top 3 this season.

    The decision was a joke. It was been roundly criticized and mocked nearly everywhere. If our coach did it, I'd want him fired the next day. The Broncos will never win a SB with John Fox at the helm.
    So going by this logic almost no team should take a knee to end the first half. We have certainly seen many teams with better starting field position do so every week instead of trying a play or two to get into FG range. But according to this is wrong. According to you its easy. According to you the worst QB in the league can get that yardage. Yet that doesn't happen. I wonder why that is? Why not take the easy points?

  2. #42
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Everything is a chance. Come game day the coach's job is to take the best chances. The chance that you win outright and avoid OT is far greater than a bad exchange. Hey i understand your opinion. There are people who agree with you, and John Fox is one of them. I'm just saying i highly doubt the majority of the coaches in the NFL, especially the ones still in playoff contention punt in that situation.

    I could be wrong, let me know if you get the chance to ask them.
    Are we talking about the same play? I am talking about Peyton taking a knee on his own 20 with 31 seconds left to run out the clock and force OT. There was no punt.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    So going by this logic almost no team should take a knee to end the first half. We have certainly seen many teams with better starting field position do so every week instead of trying a play or two to get into FG range. But according to this is wrong. According to you its easy. According to you the worst QB in the league can get that yardage. Yet that doesn't happen. I wonder why that is? Why not take the easy points?
    In the first half, there is still the entire 2nd half to play. Although I certainly vehemently disagreed with Fox's decision to pull that stunt at the end of the 1st half too. At least you can somewhat justify that by having 2 quarters left to play. End of regulation is unjustifiable given you could lose the coin toss and never see the ball in OT. Sudden death is a huge risk. Also to the idea that downfield passes couldn't happen in that weather. About 3 minutes before that decision, Flacco hurled a ball about 60 yards in the air. Not saying Peyton has Flacco's arm, but he is certainly capable of hitting 2-3 mid-range passes and getting into Prater's range. If he's not, he shouldn't be playing.

  4. #44
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    In the first half, there is still the entire 2nd half to play. Although I certainly vehemently disagreed with Fox's decision to pull that stunt at the end of the 1st half too. At least you can somewhat justify that by having 2 quarters left to play. End of regulation is unjustifiable given you could lose the coin toss and never see the ball in OT. Sudden death is a huge risk. Also to the idea that downfield passes couldn't happen in that weather. About 3 minutes before that decision, Flacco hurled a ball about 60 yards in the air. Not saying Peyton has Flacco's arm, but he is certainly capable of hitting 2-3 mid-range passes and getting into Prater's range. If he's not, he shouldn't be playing.
    First off there is no sudden death - Unless the receiving team scores a TD on their first possession. They did not. It became sudden death when the Broncos got the ball back. Peyton had his chance in OT and blew it. He could not do exactly what you are saying he could do with 31 seconds in regulation. It was the right call. You want the ball in Peyton's hands. The D held and they put the ball in Peyton's hands with a chance to win - the exact same situation you are crying about saying they blew call.
    Last edited by petejet; 01-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    First off there is no sudden death - Unless the receiving team scores a TD on their first possession. They did not. It became sudden death when the Broncos got the ball back. Peyton had his chance in OT and blew it. He could not do exactly what you are saying he could do with 31 seconds in regulation. It was the right call. You want the ball in Peyton's hands. The D held and they put the ball in Peyton's hands with a chance to win - the exact same situation you are crying about saying they blew call.
    It's semi-sudden death for one drive, then very much sudden death afterwards. The OT period bears no resemblance to the 3rd and 4th quarters so I don't see your point. The game can end at any time on a score.

    Broncos playcalling in OT was yet another misstep. You say they couldn't move the ball in the air? Peyton hits a 9 yard pass on 1st down, then Broncos proceed to run on 2nd and 1, run on 3rd and 1, fail to convert, then punt. Yeah, that was exactly like what it would have been in those last 31 seconds. It was just an atrociously coached game, certainly a fireable offense. Any coach will win 12+ games in the regular season with QB play that Peyton generally gives a team. Fox had a chance to show he could coach well in a pressure situation where things did not go his team's way and he failed in the most miserable way possible. Say what you will about Rex, but the nonsense Fox pulled would never happen under Rex's watch, he's generally been on point with game strategy in the playoffs.

  6. #46
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    God forbide we bring someone in who might make people accountable like Mangini
    Lets talk in theories like I need the offense to reflect me. Hey Rex took over a 9-7 team not a 2-14 or 4-12 team. So don't bash Mangini because he brought in and drafted some very good players when he was here. And probably learned a lot in CLE where by the way with a bunch of scrubs smoked the the then defending world champs. And Molly whoped Brady and the Pats. And really should have beaten the Jets. Dude brought a sense of professionalism to the Jets. So disagree fine and enjoy your quote machine next year. The jets staff has been gutted. Rex would be smart To hire Mangini now
    Last edited by glenn212; 01-15-2013 at 05:39 PM.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    God forbide we bring someone in who might make people accountable like Mangini
    Lets talk in theories like I need the offense to reflect me. Hey Rex took over a 9-7 team not a 2-14 or 4-12 team. So don't bash Mangini because he brought in and drafted some very good players when he was hear. And probably learned slot in CLE where by the way with a bunch of scrubs smoked the the then defending world champs. And mollywgooped Brady and the Pats. And really should have beaten the Jets. Dude brought a sense of professionalism to the Jets.
    I'll bash Mangini because he coaches like a scared coward and didn't even learn from his previous coaching failures (evidenced by the comment that is the subject of this thread). Ask Browns fans how great a coach the "Mangenious" is. What's sad about Mangini is he coached very loose in 2006 and made a lot of gutsy calls that panned out that year. But after that, it's like he became a completely different guy. Night and day in 2007, 2008 and then his stint with Cleveland

  8. #48
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    198
    Post Thanks / Like
    90% of the people agree. Take the knee. Your wrong and wrong about Mangini. Period
    You won't change my mind and mine yours.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    90% of the people agree. Take the knee. Your wrong and wrong about Mangini. Period
    You won't change my mind and mine yours.
    90%? LOL if you believe that. One guy on this thread and not a single person I know that enjoys football and follows the game even thought you could make the argument for the decision. It was dumb. There's a reason Mangini is in the media now. There's a reason why John Fox will one day soon join him (although with his personality, not sure). Good coaches don't do what they did. End of story.

  10. #50
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    He and Schottenheimer both had no clue on how to take advantage of a HOF bound gunslinger QB on the roster.

  11. #51
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think Mangini needs a FO job, like scouting dept or a player personnel position.

    He can't coach but he has an eye for solid talent

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Not a chance. They needed to get about 45-50 yds for a legitimate shot at a FG. Peyton threw the ball down field a whopping 2 times the entire game. No coach worth his salt is going to take that risk when they can go to OT - at home, with their MVP QB.
    Only a complete fool lacking a pair wouldn't give Peyton Manning a chance with 3 TO's to get into FG range in Denver of all places where the ball flies.

    Coaching scared never wins championships and that's a fact.

    Belichick trusted a QB he drafted in the 6th round to put his team in FG range and ended up winning the super bowl.

  13. #53
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    I'm not going to neither defend or criticize John Fox decision. But what if they go for it and they happen to turn the ball over right there and the Raven win the game, how many people will call John Fox stupid then?
    Thats the argument that makes no sense and is the epitome of all the head coaches who get fired. How about just never run an offensive play because if you do you might turn the ball over?

    You play to win the game, hello! You dont play not to lose, which ironically is what Herm Edwards did.

    Bill Bellichick is the paradigm of a an aggressive decision maker. No surprise how successful he has been.

  14. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn212 View Post
    90% of the people agree. Take the knee. Your wrong and wrong about Mangini. Period
    You won't change my mind and mine yours.
    Actually its more like 90% disagree. Just read the thread.

  15. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    I don't think too many coaches would have gone for it.
    I can guarantee you Bill Belli would have gone for it with Brady. Always does. Its not like the Patriots have been successful at all with that aggressive philosophy.

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    The huge mistake was running on 3-7 around 2 min left rather than trying to get the FD. That's gutless and lost them the game. Would LOVE to know who called that play, Peyton or Fox.
    Yes, and thats the exact thing we have seen numerous times under Herm and Mangini.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Roslyn
    Posts
    6,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    90%? It was dumb. There's a reason Mangini is in the met sure).
    Except Mangini never said what the OP said he said. The whole thread is misleading.

  18. #58
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    26,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the words of the the British Special Air Service:

    "Who Dares, Wins"

    Mangini fell into the trap of not taking even well calculated chances.

  19. #59
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Thats the argument that makes no sense and is the epitome of all the head coaches who get fired. How about just never run an offensive play because if you do you might turn the ball over?

    You play to win the game, hello! You dont play not to lose, which ironically is what Herm Edwards did.

    Bill Bellichick is the paradigm of a an aggressive decision maker. No surprise how successful he has been.
    If you can win the game with a QB like Peyton do you think BB takes a knee?

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Points, points, and more points scored, it's the easiest way to make the defense think otherwise. BB knew the rules and is using the best weapons he has to win ballgames in today's NFL.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us