Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: For those who wanted Mangini second go-round, he agreed with Fox's decision to kneel

  1. #21

    He could have had several shots at it

    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Did you watch the game? They needed to get about 45-50 yds for a legitimate shot at a FG. Peyton threw the ball down field a whopping 2 times the entire game. All of a sudden he is supposed to come out gunning the ball down field? BTW how old was Brady when he won that SB compared to Peyton now?
    Manning had 31 seconds and 2 time outs left. Enough for a couple of short catch and run passes. He did not have to throw a long pass.

  2. #22
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    Manning had 31 seconds and 2 time outs left. Enough for a couple of short catch and run passes. He did not have to throw a long pass.
    You still risk an INT or fumble in your own end. If they were starting at the 40 I would agree with you 100%.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,943
    They played scared and lost. I agree the decision was too conservative and they should have tried to go for the win.

    Thirty seconds is enough time to get into field goal position. Just ask Matt Ryan.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,948
    Call me crazy, but I don't think the GM has a lot of input on whether to take a knee or not.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    It was the right move. Manning couldnt throw the ball more then 10 yards anymore. His arm was shot.
    I happen to agree it was freezing and Manning didn't have much on his throws. He is not the same thrower he used to be.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Broncos did have like 3 or 4 possessions in OT. Their legendary QB threw an awful INT. It happens.

    Not sure what I would have done. Like Fox said, the team was in a state of shock. He knows his team better than anybody. If they won the game we would never even mention it. That is the way these things go.

    BTW, I think if Peyton insisted on not kneeling they wouldn't have kneeled.
    The huge mistake was running on 3-7 around 2 min left rather than trying to get the FD. That's gutless and lost them the game. Would LOVE to know who called that play, Peyton or Fox.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    8,837
    I dunno BriBri, i agreed with the call too. Then again im admittedly SOJF, so whatever. The Broncos, IMO, were the team at the half that was lucky to have the score as close as it was.

    Go Jets.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    8,837
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Call me crazy, but I don't think the GM has a lot of input on whether to take a knee or not.
    You know Jerry Jones has an "override" button somewhere at arms length in his pressy.

  9. #29

    Mangini Did Not Say That

    I heard his interview. He said that decision was not done alone by Fox. Mangini said the coach consults with the qb meaning Manning and they make the decision together on what the qb is comfortable with. I quote, "This decision was not made in a vacuum."

    The title of this thread should be changed.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    Manning had 31 seconds and 2 time outs left. Enough for a couple of short catch and run passes. He did not have to throw a long pass.
    I love how people even discuss the "impossibility" of Peyton getting 40 yards in 3-5 plays. This might be the greatest QB of all-time. Child's play for him to find guys underneath or on the sideline and work his magic. I would expect the 32nd best QB in the NFL to be at least capable of doing this (otherwise he doesn't belong in the league). But we are talking a guy who at worse was top 3 this season.

    The decision was a joke. It was been roundly criticized and mocked nearly everywhere. If our coach did it, I'd want him fired the next day. The Broncos will never win a SB with John Fox at the helm.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    You still risk an INT or fumble in your own end. If they were starting at the 40 I would agree with you 100%.
    No coach ever won a SB only wondering about the negative possibilities of running plays. You have beaten down by rooting for bad New York Jet QBs for too long. You've lost perspective on what it is like to have a good QB at the helm of your team.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    No coach ever won a SB only wondering about the negative possibilities of running plays. You have beaten down by rooting for bad New York Jet QBs for too long. You've lost perspective on what it is like to have a good QB at the helm of your team.
    Shazzam!

  13. #33
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I love how people even discuss the "impossibility" of Peyton getting 40 yards in 3-5 plays. This might be the greatest QB of all-time. Child's play for him to find guys underneath or on the sideline and work his magic. I would expect the 32nd best QB in the NFL to be at least capable of doing this (otherwise he doesn't belong in the league). But we are talking a guy who at worse was top 3 this season.

    The decision was a joke. It was been roundly criticized and mocked nearly everywhere. If our coach did it, I'd want him fired the next day. The Broncos will never win a SB with John Fox at the helm.
    The only people mocking the decision are you, people on this board, and a couple of clowns on the radio - in other words the people that don't coach NFL teams or have any input into the play calling.

  14. #34
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I love how people even discuss the "impossibility" of Peyton getting 40 yards in 3-5 plays. This might be the greatest QB of all-time. Child's play for him to find guys underneath or on the sideline and work his magic. I would expect the 32nd best QB in the NFL to be at least capable of doing this (otherwise he doesn't belong in the league). But we are talking a guy who at worse was top 3 this season.

    The decision was a joke. It was been roundly criticized and mocked nearly everywhere. If our coach did it, I'd want him fired the next day. The Broncos will never win a SB with John Fox at the helm.
    Like he did in OT?

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Broncos did have like 3 or 4 possessions in OT. Their legendary QB threw an awful INT. It happens.

    Not sure what I would have done. Like Fox said, the team was in a state of shock. He knows his team better than anybody. If they won the game we would never even mention it. That is the way these things go.

    BTW, I think if Peyton insisted on not kneeling they wouldn't have kneeled.
    I thought kicking the long field goal at the end of the half instead of punting was the dumbest thing.

  16. #36

    Broncos had a greater chance of getting a field goal

    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    You still risk an INT or fumble in your own end. If they were starting at the 40 I would agree with you 100%.
    Then having a fumble

    Thttp://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/14/john-fox-playing-perentages-broncos-loss-numbers/18190/

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The only people mocking the decision are you, people on this board, and a couple of clowns on the radio - in other words the people that don't coach NFL teams or have any input into the play calling.
    Yeah, and the thousands of NFL fans that commented on the ESPN article, pretty much the whole Broncos fanbase, and anyone who has even a rudimentary understanding of game strategy and what wins football games in the NFL. Because a coach chose to do it does not make it a credible or solid move, very weak justification. Morninweg once had the Lions kick off after winning the coin toss in OT. Was that smart just because he was an NFL coach at the time and chose to do it?

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    I thought kicking the long field goal at the end of the half instead of punting was the dumbest thing.
    Sadly for Fox, it might have only been the 4th dumbest thing he did that game.

  19. #39
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    Then having a fumble

    Thttp://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/14/john-fox-playing-perentages-broncos-loss-numbers/18190/
    You can find stats to support any argument. When its the playoffs and the season is on the line and you are down in your own end - you protect the ball. Period.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    All it takes is a bad exchange between C and QB in sub zeros temps and the game is over. I think it was all about the field position. A miscue on your own 20 and Baltimore kicks a FG - game over. If they are close to midfield and something happens Baltimore may still need to move the ball for a FG - no time left. You just don't take chances that deep in your own end in the playoffs with the season on the line.
    Everything is a chance. Come game day the coach's job is to take the best chances. The chance that you win outright and avoid OT is far greater than a bad exchange. Hey i understand your opinion. There are people who agree with you, and John Fox is one of them. I'm just saying i highly doubt the majority of the coaches in the NFL, especially the ones still in playoff contention punt in that situation.

    I could be wrong, let me know if you get the chance to ask them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us