Thread: Theory why the media keeps getting our GM pick wrong.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Theory why the media keeps getting our GM pick wrong.

The rat that used to leak information to the media is now gone. So it was either Pettine, Westhoff, Cavanaugh or dare I say Tannenbaum himself (this problem existed pre Sporano so it wasn't him), my money is on Westhoff because the first thing he did after leaving was run his mouth. I actually don't care who it was, I just hope that the bleeding of information from Florham Park has stopped.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff144man View Post
    The rat that used to leak information to the media is now gone. So it was either Pettine, Westhoff, Cavanaugh or dare I say Tannenbaum himself (this problem existed pre Sporano so it wasn't him), my money is on Westhoff because the first thing he did after leaving was run his mouth. I actually don't care who it was, I just hope that the bleeding of information from Florham Park has stopped.

Or......The media is clueless and just throws sh1t against the wall and sees what sticks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my theory.

They're not in the room during the interviews.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The media wasn't in the room in the past when stuff leaked either. The point is over what seems like virtually all of Rex's tenure information got out at alarming rate. That s*** never happened under Mangini, so either it's someone new that came in and couldn't keep their mouth shut, or someone who was already here and might have had it in for Rex from the get go (like Westhoff who might have been upset about not getting the call for HC). Again my point is it appears as if those days are behind us and that is more important than finding out who actually leaked info.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My guess the leaks stopped when Rex put his long sleeve shirt on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought we already went over this. Pettine was the leak. Everyone knew it.

Westhoff isn't afraid to put his name on anything he says or thinks. He's not a weasel.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post

Westhoff isn't afraid to put his name on anything he says or thinks. He's not a weasel.
    +1 Westoff was around when there were no leaks.
    Unless you think that Westy changed his style when Ryan arrived (doubtful...)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Word. Westy is one of the few people on the team that I have legitimate respect for. Westy doesn't play that anonymous bs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Or......The media is clueless and just throws sh1t against the wall and sees what sticks.
    bullseye, Every guy has linked every candidate to the job. At the conclusion they will all say they were right. It is like when Kiper said that he had that player there in his "xx" mock

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pettine was the leek, it was made aboundantly clear upon seporating from the team. Rex knew it and this is why there was not attempt to save him. Pettine is a spineless gutless bastard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

I thought it was essentially common knowledge at this point that Pettine was the leak.

Westoff will say whatever he wants whenever he wants.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Pettine was the leek, it was made aboundantly clear upon seporating from the team. Rex knew it and this is why there was not attempt to save him. Pettine is a spineless gutless bastard.
    Unless the reports that he turned down an extension from the Jets is true.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys really don't understand journalism, huh? Look up the term "on background." It happens regularly in the world.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ithink it's been accepted that Mehta's (and others reporters') "Deep Throat" was Mike Pettine.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, the entire point of this thread wasn't to say this one was the rat, or that one was...it was to point out that I am glad that the rat appears to be gone as evidenced by the fact that the media seems to be clueless regarding who our next GM will be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, the entire point of this thread wasn't to say this one was the rat, or that one was...it was to point out that I am glad that the rat appears to be gone as evidenced by the fact that the media seems to be clueless regarding who our next GM will be.
    Has nothing to do with the "rat" being gone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    You guys really don't understand journalism, huh? Look up the term "on background." It happens regularly in the world.
    "Speaking terms"
    There are several categories of "speaking terms" (agreements concerning attribution) that cover information conveyed in conversations with journalists. In the UK the following conventions are generally accepted:

"On background" (Canadian Association of Journalists). The thrust of the briefing may be reported (and the source characterized in general terms as above) but direct quotes may not be used.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post

Bingo.

I our parents (if you're over 35 ) days, the media was still professional and held accountable for anything they reported.

Now, it's just "throw it out there and see if they respond".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I was gonna say.

Westhoff has NO problem saying what he feels like saying to your FACE!

He's not a rat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Westoff is above suspicion, end of discussion.

However, the real reason they are getting everything wrong is

a) Silence. these hack writers have to produce every day, and with nothing they make things up.

b) Rex and the Woodster are finally getting smart. They are leaking disinformation to embarrass these a**holes and it's great! I hope they keep it up all year long and beyond.