Thread: Recap of 2012 defense/2013 outlook

Recap of 2012 defense/2013 outlook

Here's a recap of the 2012 defense along with a preview or what the 2013 D will look like, including a call to move to the 4-3.

I thought the defensive line would be very good in 2013, and they largely met expectations. Muhammad Wilkerson was the best 3-4 defensive end in the league outside of J.J. Watt, and Wilkerson looks to be a perennial Pro Bowler. At the other end spot, the Jets rotated first round pick Quinton Coples with incumbent Mike DeVito. Coples delivered as a pass rusher while DeVito was stout as usual against the run. And while DeVito is an unrestricted free agent and could follow Mike Pettine to Buffalo (although rumor is he wants to stay), Coples has the ability to develop into an every-down player as early as next year. The Jets don’t have anything behind Wilkerson and Coples, but depth can be addressed.

At defensive tackle, the outlook is more ominous. Sione Pouha was perhaps the top nose tackle in the NFL in 2011, but a back injury in training camp ruined his 2012. The downgrade in play at nose tackle was the biggest reason for the Jets struggles on the line last year — New York ranked 2nd in adjusted line yards in 2011 but dropped to 18th in 2012. The bigger issue moving forward: Pouha’s due to make $4.9 million next year, which is simply too much for a player with his age/injury combination. Ideally, the team restructures his contract (or releases and resigns him) and he regains his form in 2013. But that is only a best-case scenario at this point. Kenrick Ellis, a second round pick in 2011 who saw increased playing time with Pouha sidelined, would be the natural replacement. Unfortunately, Ellis, who was considered raw out of Hampton, and has disappointed in his short career.
    You can read the full article here: http://www.footballperspective.com/o...i-the-defense/

All Pro
    First of all we are not moving to a 4-3. Rex has always run a hybrid defense no matter what personnel he had and given his track record he will continue to do so. Coples is more than suited for the 3-4 end position and is versatile to be effective in whatever front we chose during the game.

Second, Kenrick Ellis was a dissapointment because he was injured too last season. When he got on the field early in the season and towards the end he always played pretty well and should continue to take another step forward next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    First of all we are not moving to a 4-3. Rex has always run a hybrid defense no matter what personnel he had and given his track record he will continue to do so. Coples is more than suited for the 3-4 end position and is versatile to be effective in whatever front we chose during the game.

Second, Kenrick Ellis was a dissapointment because he was injured too last season. When he got on the field early in the season and towards the end he always played pretty well and should continue to take another step forward next season.
    I agree that the Jets are unlikely to move to a 4-3, but I think the personnel betters fits that scheme. The Jets don't have a NT or a 3-4 OLB on the roster (once Pouha is cut). You can't run a good 3-4 without those players. Ellis has show almost nothing, and he's more likely to be a solid DT in a 4-3 than a NT in a 3-4.

Pouha and Jenkins before him hid a lot of the deficiencies at OLB.

All Pro
    They want to run a 3-4, yet you could argue they have no good linebackers, and one average ILB who is incredibly over paid. They have 2 good young D Lineman, but are going to use those to tie up blockers so their crap line backers can attempt to make as many impactful tackles as Brandon Moore's left butt cheek.

It is time to go to a 4-3 base, and in nickle go to a 4-2-5, which lessens the impact of no good line backers. Rex loves multiple fronts, but that requires multiple talented players, which we don't have.

Coach the players to what they do best, not to what you want them to do best. You know, find a players strength and let him do that, like that mumbling bastid in New England who keeps going to AFC championship games and Super Bowls, while we talk about the draft.

i think we are going to a 4-3 as well............

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Here's a recap of the 2012 defense along with a preview or what the 2013 D will look like, including a call to move to the 4-3.

You can read the full article here: http://www.footballperspective.com/o...i-the-defense/
    dunbar at minn. had a great line with that config. don't be surprise if we draft star lotulelie from Utah if he is available. they will redo the defense from the front back. the lb in this draft aren't that great. and you can get some one like Brandon Jenkins from fla st. in the second or third round

This is why the JETS would be crazy to pass on Star if he was available. Looking at Baltimore who makes the playoffs every year and advances especially with Ngata (who Star is compared to), would be foolish to ignore

4-3 will improve the defense and get more out of guys like ellis,wilkerson and coples.

i totally agree........

Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    This is why the JETS would be crazy to pass on Star if he was available. Looking at Baltimore who makes the playoffs every year and advances especially with Ngata (who Star is compared to), would be foolish to ignore
    the have the makings of a very good and versatile defensive line. and going to a 4 -3 wouldn't be a bad idea. considering the current lineman they have and lack of lbs.......

can you imagine ............

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    4-3 will improve the defense and get more out of guys like ellis,wilkerson and coples.
    a line of coples, ellis, lotuleli, Wilkerson, with maybe Jenkins who would be able to stop then on a regular basis.........

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    Isn't Star a top 3 pick? I doubt he'll be available when we pick. Would be nice though.

Wilkerson and Coples are both prototypical 3-4 DEs, not 4-3 edge rusher types. Pretty sure we will build the D by keeping our two past 1st round picks at their best positions.
    Remember when Herm was moving Ellis around from DE to DT in the 4-3 and ended up with a couple not good years from him? Don't want to see us jerk around Wilk and Coples like that, have them take off or put on weight each year. Keep them where they are successful.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Wilkerson and Coples are both prototypical 3-4 DEs, not 4-3 edge rusher types. Pretty sure we will build the D by keeping our two past 1st round picks at their best positions.
    Remember when Herm was moving Ellis around from DE to DT in the 4-3 and ended up with a couple not good years from him? Don't want to see us jerk around Wilk and Coples like that, have them take off or put on weight each year. Keep them where they are successful.
    Agree on Wilkerson, disagree on Coples - he's your prototypical 4-3 DE, and many questioned why the Jets drafted him (some even thought he might be an OLB, since they thought he was too light to be a DE). At 6-6, 290 pounds, he doesn't have the traditional 3-4 DE bodytype, which is why he was a part-time player and mostly a pass rusher.

Coples should have been drafted by a 4-3 team, IMO (he's very similar to JPP). Wilkerson is ideally suited to play in a 3-4, but he's an elite player and not a system player that need the right system to succeed. Richard Seymour has played well in a 4-3, and I could see Wilkerson as either a pass-rushing DT or, if he drops a little weight, as a traditional DE (albeit more of a run-stopper than an edge rusher). I also think as good as Wilkerson has been as a 3-4 DE, he could be even more of an impact player as an undertackle, getting one-on-one matchups with guards and having an end next to him to eat up the offensive tackle. He wouldn't need to add or drop a

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfootballguy View Post
    Agree on Wilkerson, disagree on Coples - he's your prototypical 4-3 DE, and many questioned why the Jets drafted him (some even thought he might be an OLB, since they thought he was too light to be a DE). At 6-6, 290 pounds, he doesn't have the traditional 3-4 DE bodytype, which is why he was a part-time player and mostly a pass rusher.

Coples should have been drafted by a 4-3 team, IMO (he's very similar to JPP). Wilkerson is ideally suited to play in a 3-4, but he's an elite player and not a system player that need the right system to succeed. Richard Seymour has played well in a 4-3, and I could see Wilkerson as either a pass-rushing DT or, if he drops a little weight, as a traditional DE (albeit more of a run-stopper than an edge rusher). I also think as good as Wilkerson has been as a 3-4 DE, he could be even more of an impact player as an undertackle, getting one-on-one matchups with guards and having an end next to him to eat up the offensive tackle. He wouldn't need to add or drop a
    Disagree on Coples. Though at points he was used mainly as a pass rusher, he wasn't often lining up outside the tackle, as an edge rusher. Most of his pressure and plays came from further inside.

And that's not, IMO, just a function of the Jets using mostly a 3-4. At least some scouts before the draft said he fits best as 3-4 end or even a 4-3 tackle.

See for example http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...quinton-coples

Despite his overall talent, however, Coples lacks the explosiveness off the ball to threaten the corner as a speed rusher. He does not fit the profile as an impact end in a 4-3 defense.

However, I believe as an end in a 3-4 scheme or a defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme, he has a chance to be a highly productive starter in the NFL.
    On Wilk, he could probably be a good 4-3 DT or DE, but he's already one of the best 3-4 DEs. Jets shouldn't mess around with him.

As for NT, we should either resign Devito or keep Pouha, and Ellis hopefully can develop and stay healthy.

Obviously we need OLBs, but we've had decent to top D's with crappy OLBs throughout Rex's time here.

Speaking of that. WTF is the deal with Kenrick Ellis?! He looked so good during the preseason that I thought he'd really make a splash during the season. Yes, it was just preseason but I still thought he'd be much better than he was.

So what's the deal? Is he injured? Or is he just a bum?

I hadn't heard about suffering any injuries?

At this point, I'd have to say next season will likely be a make or break season for Ellis. He needs to start making much more of a contribution than he has.