Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ken Whisenhunt Should Be The Jets Next Offensive Coordinator

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    Me too. Thanks. Plus Reich is a former Jet and he's a New Yorker. Plus who knows more about throwing footballs in the northeast than Frank Reich.

His resume is not that bad. He's been a QB coach with The Colts and then WR coach with The Cards the last couple of years. I'd rather have him than David Lee.
    Ken O'Brien or Reich would both be awesome.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is really a comparison of the other candidates available for The Jets offensive coordinator job. There's Cam Cameron,Marty Morhninweg, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton. I would rather have Ken Whisenhunt
    He's my guy.............

jf

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have seen the names attached to the Jets offensive coordinator opening in the last week. Coaches like Cam Cameron, Pat Shurmur, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamiliton. I'd like to see the Jets expand the search.

The coach, I would love for the Jets to interview and hire for the position is former Arizona Cardinals head coach, Ken Whisenhunt. There are several positives towards hiring him.

First off, He has two superbowls on his resume. One as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach. The Jets currently have an opening at the assistant head coaching spot due to the departure of Bob Sutton. Whisenhunt could be the Jets Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach. That's an enticing job title because it has potential for elevation in 2014.

Whisenhunt has northeast ties and has been a member of the New York Jets as a player and as a coach. He also has the majority of his staff still available to join him in New York. Russ Grimm could come in and coach the Jets offensive line. Mike Miller his former OC in Arizona could coach WR's. Frank Reich who was the QB coach in Indy could also come in as the new QB coach for the Jets. John McNulty could also be in position for a spot on the staff as well. You'd be putting together quite an offensive staff in place for the Jets with Grimm coaching the line and Frank Reich coaching the QB's or being involved in the passing game with Mike Miller

The hiring of Whisenhunt also puts the Jets in play for the pipe dream of luring in Bill Cowher in 2014. Bill Cowher would have his staff waiting for him in New York if he chooses to come here.

The stigma attached to Ken Whisenhunt is the offensive struggles that Arizona had this past season. It was directly related to injuries and lack of talent provided by the front office. If one can recall, Whisenhunt as a playcaller was very creative with The Steelers and they played attack style football. He has a history of working with young QB's like Ben Roethlisberger and knows what it takes to win in the northeast. This guy is the perfect hire and is a well regarded coach. That's why despite a 5 and 11 finish in Arizona. He has been interviewed for several head coaching jobs.

At the bare minimum, Whisenhunt should be interviewed by the Jets especially if he doesn't get any of the HC openings. I personally would hire him for all the reasons that I stated.
    I am listening and I kinda like the idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm shocked he hasn't gotten a job yet. I also wouldn't be surprised if he sat out a year if he doesn't get a HC job.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    good post leon

... i'm not into cowher like many of you are ... but otherwise i like it ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have seen the names attached to the Jets offensive coordinator opening in the last week. Coaches like Cam Cameron, Pat Shurmur, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamiliton. I'd like to see the Jets expand the search.

The coach, I would love for the Jets to interview and hire for the position is former Arizona Cardinals head coach, Ken Whisenhunt. There are several positives towards hiring him.

First off, He has two superbowls on his resume. One as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach. The Jets currently have an opening at the assistant head coaching spot due to the departure of Bob Sutton. Whisenhunt could be the Jets Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach. That's an enticing job title because it has potential for elevation in 2014.

Whisenhunt has northeast ties and has been a member of the New York Jets as a player and as a coach. He also has the majority of his staff still available to join him in New York. Russ Grimm could come in and coach the Jets offensive line. Mike Miller his former OC in Arizona could coach WR's. Frank Reich who was the QB coach in Indy could also come in as the new QB coach for the Jets. John McNulty could also be in position for a spot on the staff as well. You'd be putting together quite an offensive staff in place for the Jets with Grimm coaching the line and Frank Reich coaching the QB's or being involved in the passing game with Mike Miller.

The hiring of Whisenhunt also puts the Jets in play for the pipe dream of luring in Bill Cowher in 2014. Bill Cowher would have his staff waiting for him in New York if he chooses to come here.

The stigma attached to Ken Whisenhunt is the offensive struggles that Arizona had this past season. It was directly related to injuries and lack of talent provided by the front office. If one can recall, Whisenhunt as a playcaller was very creative with The Steelers and they played attack style football. He has a history of working with young QB's like Ben Roethlisberger and knows what it takes to win in the northeast. This guy is the perfect hire and is a well regarded coach. That's why despite a 5 and 11 finish in Arizona. He has been interviewed for several head coaching jobs.

At the bare minimum, Whisenhunt should be interviewed by the Jets especially if he doesn't get any of the HC openings. I personally would hire him for all the reasons that I stated.
    I like him as a HC and an OC and I was thinking the same thing, Great choice for OC

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Does that mean we trade for Skelton and Lindley?
    The biggest complaint is he is stubborn. Lindley was horrible against the Jets ,(one of the worst games I have ever seen a qb play),missing wide open guys left and right. He had a chance to win the game ,yet he never brought in Skelton. He has never done anything without Warner

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that no one agrees or disagrees.

The hire does a lot of things.

Staff looks like this.

Ken Whisenhunt-Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach
    Russ Grimm-Offensive Line Coach
    Frank Reich-Quarterbacks Coach
    Mike Miller-Wide Receivers Coach

You get the oc with the superbowl resume, potential future head coach with northeast/jets background. You get a very good QB coach/passing game upgrade with Reich and Miller and Grimm coaches up 3 good lineman in Brick, Mangold and Howard. You also set the stage for Bill Cowher in 2014.

How is this not the best possible scenario for the Jets in 2013 and beyond.
    Not exactly sure what everyone's lovefest with Cowher is about! I think he's a little overrated to be honest.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    I am listening and I kinda like the idea.
    Thanks TechJet. I am hoping that the Jets are listening . I am shocked that he is not even on their radar. He deserves an interview.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    good post leon

... i'm not into cowher like many of you are ... but otherwise i like it ...

l_j_r
    Cowher is just a future option for the HC position in 2014. Thanks for the compliment.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The GM Failed him in AZ. They never got him a real QB and you can't even blame Kolb since their O-line was a joke. It was like 5 Wayne Hunters.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks TechJet. I am hoping that the Jets are listening . I am shocked that he is not even on their radar. He deserves an interview.
    Yeah, but TechJet is a moron.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering about Whiz, but wasn't his tenure here brief and ugly? Someone refresh my memory. Great thread btw.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ken Whisenhunt-Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach
    Russ Grimm-Offensive Line Coach
    Frank Reich-Quarterbacks Coach
    Mike Miller-Wide Receivers Coach

You get the oc with the superbowl resume, potential future head coach with northeast/jets background. You get a very good QB coach/passing game upgrade with Reich and Miller and Grimm coaches up 3 good lineman in Brick, Mangold and Howard.

How is this not the best possible scenario for the Jets in 2013 and beyond.
    I like this idea - and if Zac Dysert falls to the 5th, they can have a big ben project

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    I was wondering about Whiz, but wasn't his tenure here brief and ugly? Someone refresh my memory. Great thread btw.
    Tenure with Arizona or the Jets? I can't recall his tenure with the Jets being ugly. He was here very briefly on Al Groh's staff in 2000. He played with the Jets for 3 years from 91 to 93. His tenure with Arizona ended poorly but all things considered, He did a good job overall with the Cardinals. They made the playoffs twice, won an NFC Championship, Two NFC West titles and only had one losing season in five years. (5-11 in 2012).

Whether or not, He'd want the job as Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator is unknown. He deserves consideration. It's looking unlikely that he is going to get a HC job this season. Thanks Jumbalaya for the compliment on the thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Whisenhunt has northeast ties and has been a member of the New York Jets as a player and as a coach. He also has the majority of his staff still available to join him in New York. Russ Grimm could come in and coach the Jets offensive line. Mike Miller his former OC in Arizona could coach WR's. Frank Reich who was the QB coach in Indy could also come in as the new QB coach for the Jets. John McNulty could also be in position for a spot on the staff as well. You'd be putting together quite an offensive staff in place for the Jets with Grimm coaching the line and Frank Reich coaching the QB's or being involved in the passing game with Mike Miller.

Never saw much of him in Arizona, but I always like what he did with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I could definitely go for him as OC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since the day he was canned by Arizona I've been saying that if he isn't given another HC'ing gig that he should be brought in as OC. There isn't a better name out there. There's no way I want someone holding onto their NFL life like Mornhinweig or Cameron. Schumur, eh, maybe - Jackson, no. As for Pep Hamilton, I know he's been here, I know he's worked with QB's, but I also know he's very young and has only had one year experience as an Offensive Coordinator and that was at Stanford, so while that move may be enticing, it's kind of a high risk, possible high reward situation with him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Since the day he was canned by Arizona I've been saying that if he isn't given another HC'ing gig that he should be brought in as OC. There isn't a better name out there. There's no way I want someone holding onto their NFL life like Mornhinweig or Cameron. Schumur, eh, maybe - Jackson, no. As for Pep Hamilton, I know he's been here, I know he's worked with QB's, but I also know he's very young and has only had one year experience as an Offensive Coordinator and that was at Stanford, so while that move may be enticing, it's kind of a high risk, possible high reward situation with him.
    I agree. With the exception of Pep Hamilton. All of those names have been head coaches in the NFL. Jackson, Morhninweg,Cameron and Shurmur. They are all hanging on for their NFL lives.

Interesting that Andy Reid gets the KC job and gives the OC spot to Doug Pederson and not Marty Morhninweg who was his OC in philly for several years.

The Jets are supposedly looking for an offense that is an attacking style offense that is versatile and unpredictable. I am not sure if any of these candidates fits that mold. Shurmur and Marty come from the west coast tree. Hamilton has a very small body of work. Cameron comes from Norv Turner's coaching tree. The offensive design of his offenses are great but the playcalling hasn't always been. Jackson has done a good job coordinating offenses and does have an agressive style.

These are all decent options at OC but I would go for Whisenhunt.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Never saw much of him in Arizona, but I always like what he did with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I could definitely go for him as OC.
    Another option at OC who also has Steeler ties is Mike Mularkey. Mularkey also has OC and HC experience. I would much rather prefer Whisenhunt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets should give the OC job to Whisenhunt a former jet himself.