Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ken Whisenhunt Should Be The Jets Next Offensive Coordinator

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Ken Whisenhunt Should Be The Jets Next Offensive Coordinator

We have seen the names attached to the Jets offensive coordinator opening in the last week. Coaches like Cam Cameron, Pat Shurmur, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamiliton. I'd like to see the Jets expand the search.

The coach, I would love for the Jets to interview and hire for the position is former Arizona Cardinals head coach, Ken Whisenhunt. There are several positives towards hiring him.

First off, He has two superbowls on his resume. One as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach. The Jets currently have an opening at the assistant head coaching spot due to the departure of Bob Sutton. Whisenhunt could be the Jets Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach. That's an enticing job title because it has potential for elevation in 2014.

Whisenhunt has northeast ties and has been a member of the New York Jets as a player and as a coach. He also has the majority of his staff still available to join him in New York. Russ Grimm could come in and coach the Jets offensive line. Mike Miller his former OC in Arizona could coach WR's. Frank Reich who was the QB coach in Indy could also come in as the new QB coach for the Jets. John McNulty could also be in position for a spot on the staff as well. You'd be putting together quite an offensive staff in place for the Jets with Grimm coaching the line and Frank Reich coaching the QB's or being involved in the passing game with Mike Miller.

The hiring of Whisenhunt also puts the Jets in play for the pipe dream of luring in Bill Cowher in 2014. Bill Cowher would have his staff waiting for him in New York if he chooses to come here.

The stigma attached to Ken Whisenhunt is the offensive struggles that Arizona had this past season. It was directly related to injuries and lack of talent provided by the front office. If one can recall, Whisenhunt as a playcaller was very creative with The Steelers and they played attack style football. He has a history of working with young QB's like Ben Roethlisberger and knows what it takes to win in the northeast. This guy is the perfect hire and is a well regarded coach. That's why despite a 5 and 11 finish in Arizona. He has been interviewed for several head coaching jobs.

At the bare minimum, Whisenhunt should be interviewed by the Jets especially if he doesn't get any of the HC openings. I personally would hire him for all the reasons that I stated.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess that no one agrees or disagrees.

The hire does a lot of things.

Staff looks like this.

Ken Whisenhunt-Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach
    Russ Grimm-Offensive Line Coach
    Frank Reich-Quarterbacks Coach
    Mike Miller-Wide Receivers Coach

You get the oc with the superbowl resume, potential future head coach with northeast/jets background. You get a very good QB coach/passing game upgrade with Reich and Miller and Grimm coaches up 3 good lineman in Brick, Mangold and Howard. You also set the stage for Bill Cowher in 2014.

How is this not the best possible scenario for the Jets in 2013 and beyond.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    totally agree, and a great point regarding assistant head coach. he's been my #1 choice for OC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The GM Failed him in AZ. They never got him a real QB and you can't even blame Kolb since their O-line was a joke. It was like 5 Wayne Hunters.

Whisenhunt is far and away the best OC candidate, even better than Norv Turner in a lot of ways, but I think it's optimistic to think that he won't end up a head coach somewhere.

I mean if Jacksonville hires Schotty over Whisenhunt to be their head coach then lol@Caldwell.

If we can't get Whisenhunt I REALLY like Hugh Jackson.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    totally agree, and a great point regarding assistant head coach. he's been my #1 choice for OC.
    Cool at least, I am not alone.

The reported names for the Jets OC job all have head coaching experience with the exception of Pep Hamiliton. Pat Shurmur, Cam Cameron,Marty Morhninweg and Hue Jackson are all former head coaches. The assistant head coach title could potentially be attached to whomever takes the offensive coordinator job.

I love the idea of giving the new OC full authority to put together his own offensive staff. If Whisenhunt loses out on the head coaching openings. The Jets OC/Assistant Head Coaching job could be attractive based on the fact that he can put together his own coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.

It's odd that the Jets next general manager may not have a say in the coaching staff. The Jets have not filled the GM job and yet they are interviewing for assistant jobs.

You would figure that Omar Khan if hired would lean towards Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm based on their experience with him in Pittsburgh. Who would someone like Jerry Angelo lean towards?... Ron Turner or Mike Martz?

The elevation of Scott Cohen would lead some to believe that Marty Morhninweg could be the hire as OC and let the Vick speculation begin if that happens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonM View Post
    We have seen the names attached to the Jets offensive coordinator opening in the last week. Coaches like Cam Cameron, Pat Shurmur, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamiliton. I'd like to see the Jets expand the search.

The coach, I would love for the Jets to interview and hire for the position is former Arizona Cardinals head coach, Ken Whisenhunt. There are several positives towards hiring him.

First off, He has two superbowls on his resume. One as an offensive coordinator and one as a head coach. The Jets currently have an opening at the assistant head coaching spot due to the departure of Bob Sutton. Whisenhunt could be the Jets Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach. That's an enticing job title because it has potential for elevation in 2014.

Whisenhunt has northeast ties and has been a member of the New York Jets as a player and as a coach. He also has the majority of his staff still available to join him in New York. Russ Grimm could come in and coach the Jets offensive line. Mike Miller his former OC in Arizona could coach WR's. Frank Reich who was the QB coach in Indy could also come in as the new QB coach for the Jets. John McNulty could also be in position for a spot on the staff as well. You'd be putting together quite an offensive staff in place for the Jets with Grimm coaching the line and Frank Reich coaching the QB's or being involved in the passing game with Mike Miller.

The hiring of Whisenhunt also puts the Jets in play for the pipe dream of luring in Bill Cowher in 2014. Bill Cowher would have his staff waiting for him in New York if he chooses to come here.

The stigma attached to Ken Whisenhunt is the offensive struggles that Arizona had this past season. It was directly related to injuries and lack of talent provided by the front office. If one can recall, Whisenhunt as a playcaller was very creative with The Steelers and they played attack style football. He has a history of working with young QB's like Ben Roethlisberger and knows what it takes to win in the northeast. This guy is the perfect hire and is a well regarded coach. That's why despite a 5 and 11 finish in Arizona. He has been interviewed for several head coaching jobs.

At the bare minimum, Whisenhunt should be interviewed by the Jets especially if he doesn't get any of the HC openings. I personally would hire him for all the reasons that I stated.
    This makes a lot of sense.

I am guessing that many fans are not confident that the JETS will do what is right as this goes longer and longer.

I like the idea of Ken Whisenhunt but for some reason this is the only time I've heard his name.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    The GM Failed him in AZ. They never got him a real QB and you can't even blame Kolb since their O-line was a joke. It was like 5 Wayne Hunters.

Whisenhunt is far and away the best OC candidate, even better than Norv Turner in a lot of ways, but I think it's optimistic to think that he won't end up a head coach somewhere.

I mean if Jacksonville hires Schotty over Whisenhunt to be their head coach then lol@Caldwell.

If we can't get Whisenhunt I REALLY like Hugh Jackson.
    Let's look at the HC openings.

The Chargers just hired Mike McCoy. I am surprised that Bruce Arians didn't get the job based on his ties to new GM Tom Telesco.

The Bears seem to have narrowed down their finalists to Marc Trestman(strange), Darrell Bevell and Bruce Arians. Arians would be my choice for Cutler and that offense.

The Eagles are reportedly getting close to hiring Gus Bradley with Brian Billick potentially as the teams offensive coordinator. Surprised that Billick isn't an option for Jets since he and Rex worked together but perhaps Billick doesn't want to work under Rex.

The Jaguars who I nearly forgot to mention seem to have their sights set on 49ers offensive coordinator, Greg Roman. They could be waiting a long time to hire him. New GM David Caldwell and Roman are supposedly best buds. Maybe Brian Schottenheimer gets this job based on Roman not being able to leave.

That leaves The Cardinals who will not bring back Whisenhunt. They just fired him.

Ken Whisenhunt is free to be interviewed by the Jets and I personally would hire him ahead of the likes of Cameron,Morhninweg,Jackson and Hamilton. For all the reasons that I already stated.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-15-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    This makes a lot of sense.

I am guessing that many fans are not confident that the JETS will do what is right as this goes longer and longer.

I like the idea of Ken Whisenhunt but for some reason this is the only time I've heard his name.
    Thanks. I am just a lifelong Jets fan from Brooklyn so what do I know but I am shocked that the Jets are not even entertaining the idea of atleast interviewing Ken Whisenhunt for the OC position but like you stated, Unfortunately, A lot of us do not have faith in the Jets doing the right thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does that mean we trade for Skelton and Lindley?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Staff looks like this.

You get the oc with the superbowl resume, potential future head coach with northeast/jets background. You get a very good QB coach/passing game upgrade with Reich and Miller and Grimm coaches up 3 good lineman in Brick, Mangold and Howard. You also set the stage for Bill Cowher in 2014.

He was fired because of his offense, poor QB decisions and horrible O-line. The O-line wasn't just the worst in the NFL this year, it was possibly one of the worst in a decade.

Rumors here in Arizona are that Whiz was on the verge of landing as the HC of the Browns but he was adamant about keeping some coaches, specifically Russ Grimm. Money was agreed to, etc. but he wouldn't relent on some coaching positions. Browns terminated the discussions and backed out.

Whiz was great for 2 years...when he had Kurt Warner. We don't have Kurt Warner. His team lost 11 games this year....including one game 58-0....and another...to the Jets!!!
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-15-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Does that mean we trade for Skelton and Lindley?
    LOL and that rules out Kevin Kolb too maybe...lol.

In all seriousness, I see Ken Whisenhunt as the perfect hire for the Jets. Rex should be on board with something like this because he has coached against Whisenhunt when he was with The Steelers. He should know directly about Ken. Ken's been here too with The Jets as a player and coach. He knows the market and he'd bring some good offensive coaches with him.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-15-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    He was fired because of his offense, poor QB decisions and horrible O-line. The O-line wasn't just the worst in the NFL this year, it was possibly one of the worst in a decade.

Rumors here in Arizona are that Whiz was on the verge of landing as the HC of the Browns but he was adamant about keeping some coaches, specifically Russ Grimm. Money was agreed to, etc. but he wouldn't relent on some coaching positions. Browns terminated the discussions and backed out.

Whiz was great for 2 years...when he had Kurt Warner. We don't have Kurt Warner. His team lost 11 games this year....including one game 58-0....and another...to the Jets!!!
    The Cards were 4 and 0 before the entire team fell apart in 2012 thanks to injuries. A big part of the Cards failures the last season has to do with losing their starting left tackle, their starting qb and Rod Graves, The GM.

Whisenhunt is perfect for the Jets for all the reasons that I stated. It even opens up the door for Bill Cowher in 2014. Win/Win for the Jets on several levels.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there was any way possible we could get whisenhunt and Grimm here as OC and Oline coach, I would be thrilled.

Whiz made some poor moves this season, mainly what was Hoyer doing during the lindley/skelton days, but he was placed in a tough situation with no QB and some terrible draft picks in wells and ryan williams.

As for the Oline, Grimm and Whiz did a pretty good job considering what they had to work with and apparently even Nate Potter (7th round) made a lot of strides as the season wore on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Staff looks like this.

Love the idea of Reich as our QB coach.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Love the idea of Reich as our QB coach.
    Me too. Thanks. Plus Reich is a former Jet and he's a New Yorker. Plus who knows more about throwing footballs in the northeast than Frank Reich.

His resume is not that bad. He's been a QB coach with The Colts and then WR coach with The Cards the last couple of years. I'd rather have him than David Lee.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cards were 4 and 0 before the entire team fell apart in 2012 thanks to injuries. A big part of the Cards failures the last season has to do with losing their starting left tackle, their starting qb and Rod Graves, The GM.

Whisenhunt is perfect for the Jets for all the reasons that I stated. It even opens up the door for Bill Cowher in 2014. Win/Win for the Jets on several levels.
    Why do you think we'll need a new coach in 2014? All the reasons you just cited above (injuries, bad GM, etc) are what Rex Ryan had here with the Jets. No Revis, no Holmes, poor drafting/replacement of LBs and WRs, and a bad QB situation. Yet, Rex won 50% more games than Coach Whiz. I like Ken, I've met him, but he's had the same level of success in the NFL as Mike Martz did when he had a crutch named Kurt Warner holding him up.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think we'll need a new coach in 2014? All the reasons you just cited above (injuries, bad GM, etc) are what Rex Ryan had here with the Jets. No Revis, no Holmes, poor drafting/replacement of LBs and WRs, and a bad QB situation. Yet, Rex won 50% more games than Coach Whiz. I like Ken, I've met him, but he's had the same level of success in the NFL as Mike Martz did when he had a crutch named Kurt Warner holding him up.
    I am not suggesting Ken Whisenhunt as Jets head coach in 2013 over Rex Ryan. Rex would still be the head coach and run the defense with Dennis Thurman. Let Whisenhunt run the offense with his qualified staff.

This is really a comparison of the other candidates available for The Jets offensive coordinator job. There's Cam Cameron,Marty Morhninweg, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton. I would rather have Ken Whisenhunt for all the reasons that I stated.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. Thanks. Plus Reich is a former Jet and he's a New Yorker. Plus who knows more about throwing footballs in the northeast than Frank Reich.

His resume is not that bad. He's been a QB coach with The Colts and then WR coach with The Cards the last couple of years. I'd rather have him than David Lee.
    He QB'd two of the greatest comebacks I ever saw.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not suggesting Ken Whisenhunt as Jets head coach in 2013 over Rex Ryan. Rex would still be the head coach and run the defense with Dennis Thurman. Let Whisenhunt run the offense with his qualified staff.

This is really a comparison of the other candidates available for The Jets offensive coordinator job. There's Cam Cameron,Marty Morhninweg, Hue Jackson and Pep Hamilton. I would rather have Ken Whisenhunt for all the reasons that I stated.
    I'm not anti-Whisenhunt, I just don't think he's as good as a lot of people think. The organization, Bidwells, etc. have watched him for years now. They know about the injuries, the QB situation, etc. They terminated Rod Graves as GM because of poor personnel moves. But they clearly didn't think Whiz has done a good enough job these past few years and I agree. Again, I wouldn't completely criticize hiring him but of the guys you named I think I'd prefer Marty Morhningweg or Hue Jackson.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think we'll need a new coach in 2014? All the reasons you just cited above (injuries, bad GM, etc) are what Rex Ryan had here with the Jets. No Revis, no Holmes, poor drafting/replacement of LBs and WRs, and a bad QB situation. Yet, Rex won 50% more games than Coach Whiz.
    Many assume he won't be here after 2013 and are speculating it's relation to getting a GM and the new OC getting promoted. I don't see any relation to either. Either the new OC is an ex HC or a promoted coach they won't get the HC job IMO.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2