Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY About to Pass "Strictest Gun Control Laws in America"

NY About to Pass "Strictest Gun Control Laws in America"

In a State already described as having the toughest Gun Control laws already on the books in America.

Highlights Of NY Gun Control Bill

by The Associated Press

January 15, 201310:13 AM

Provisions in a sweeping gun control bill before the New York Legislature:

—Further restrict assault weapons to define them by a single feature, such as a pistol grip. Current law requires two features.

—Make the unsafe storage of assault weapons a misdemeanor.

—Mandate a police registry of assault weapons.

—Establish a state registry for all private sales, with a background check done through a licensed dealer for a fee, excluding sales to immediate relatives.

—Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

—Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.

—Require stores that sell ammunition to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

—Restrict ammunition magazines to seven bullets, from the current national standard of 10. Current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. Someone caught with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

—Require that stolen guns be reported within 24 hours. Otherwise, the owner would face a possible misdemeanor.

—Increase sentences for gun crimes including for taking a gun on school property.

—Increase penalties for shooting first responders, called the "Webster provision." Two firefighters were killed when shot by a person who set a fire in the western New York town of Webster last month. The crime would be punishable by life in prison without parole.

—Limit the state records law to protect handgun owners from being identified publicly. The provision would allow a handgun permit holder a means to maintain privacy under the Freedom of Information law.

—Require pistol permit holders or those who will be registered as owners of assault rifles to be recertified at least every five years to make sure they are still legally able to own the guns.

Something I find interesting. Causes of death in the USA.

National Vital Statistics Reports
    Volume 59, Number 4 March 16, 2011
    Deaths: Preliminary Data for 2009
    by Kenneth D. Kochanek, M.A.; Jiaquan Xu, M.D.; Sherry L. Murphy, B.S.; Arialdi M. Miniño M.P.H.; and Hsiang-Ching Kung, Ph.D., Division of Vital Statistics

All causes

Diseases of heart

Malignant neoplasms

Chronic lower respiratory diseases

Cerebrovascular diseases

Accidents (unintentional injuries)

Alzheimer’s disease.

Diabetes mellitus

Influenza and pneumonia

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis .

Intentional self-harm (suicide)

Septicemia

Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis

Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease

Parkinson’s disease

Assault (homicide)
    16,591 (of which about 8,500 was Gun-related Homicide).
    If we're being logical, why are we looking to infringe on rights over GUNS? Why not infinge on rights over say, healthy eating and exercise? Because the lack of that kills vastly more Americans each year than guns could ever do. Why not close all fast food businesses, and mandate 2 hours of exercise per day per person minimum, and imprison (fat jails) anyone over 10% over their appropriate body-mass-index, for their own good and the good of society of course?

Fat people and fast food and lazy are a drain opn every part of society, and they die in droves. Lets take those folks rights first.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Something I find interesting. Causes of death in the USA.
    It's amazing how small of a percentage of deaths are gun related yet they receive so much of the focus. If bringing down the number of deaths is a priority in this country, the focus should be on obesity, not guns.

It reminds of politicians complaining about the federal deficit and focusing on legislative earmarks instead of the real culprits Medicare, Social Security, and Defense.

All Pro
    If 20,000 people were killed by somebody else with a porkchop, it would be regulated. The fact that they kill themselves with one is a matter of personal liberty (poorly employed).

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    If 20,000 people were killed by somebody else with a porkchop, it would be regulated. The fact that they kill themselves with one is a matter of personal liberty (poorly employed).
    Yet hundreds of thousands die each year by eating that same porkchop (wit a side of lard).

I don;t see a warnign label or bacground health-checks on Fast Food, do you?

Maybe there should be.

Practice Squad
    8,500 gun deaths per year, is still a very staggering amount!!

To put it in perspective, there was less confirmed fatalaties at the Battle of Gettysburg, possibly the biggest battle of the Civil War!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinjetsfan View Post
    8,500 gun deaths per year, is still a very staggering amount!!
    It's actually a relatively small number considering the population size and the number of guns in the country.

The vast majority of these gun homicides are committed in low income urban areas with illegal handguns.

What's your solution?

If we're being logical, why are we looking to infringe on rights over GUNS? Why not infinge on rights over say, healthy eating and exercise? Because the lack of that kills vastly more Americans each year than guns could ever do. Why not close all fast food businesses, and mandate 2 hours of exercise per day per person minimum, and imprison (fat jails) anyone over 10% over their appropriate body-mass-index, for their own good and the good of society of course?

Fat people and fast food and lazy are a drain opn every part of society, and they die in droves. Lets take those folks rights first.
    New York (City) is already trying to infringe on rights over unhealthy food choices. If he could, Mayor Bloomy would implement all of the above.

All League
    In a State already described as having the toughest Gun Control laws already on the books in America.
    To be honest, aside from "pistol grip" and "7 rounds ," doesn't sound so harsh to me. Misdemeanor for unsecured or unreported stolen gun?! Der.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    It's actually a relatively small number considering the population size and the number of guns in the country.

The vast majority of these gun homicides are committed in low income urban areas with illegal handguns.

What's your solution?
    I like Chris Rock's solution the best.

Give out guns for free...but charge $10,000 per bullet!! We would never have to worry about 'innocent bystanders' again !!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by dublinjetsfan View Post
    I like Chris Rock's solution the best.

Give out guns for free...but charge $10,000 per bullet!! We would never have to worry about 'innocent bystanders' again !!
    Since bullets can be privately and easily manufactured at relatively low costs, this would do nothing but create a black market and all of the violence and crime that comes with it.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    To be honest, aside from "pistol grip" and "7 rounds ," doesn't sound so harsh to me. Misdemeanor for unsecured or unreported stolen gun?! Der.
    I generally agree.

I oppose the "bullet buyer database", and I oppose the "Mandatory life for shooting a first repsonder", not because I want first responders shot, but because I strongly oppose any law that starts placing higher value of certain lives over all other lives, it's just not somethign I agree with (same goes for supposed "hate crime" laws that punish the massumed motive, not the crime itelf, thsu creating unequal life values).

With that said, it's all in the details. On it's face, most of this is liveable.....in the actual codified regulations to come......it could be horrificly burdensome. You just don't know yet.

All League
    Most all of these new regs I find offensive, some more so then others, with the exception of a few such as... Securing your guns, keeping gun permits private, and
    Require a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally to report the threat to a mental health director who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
    I do feel regulation of firearms is a states right issue, and if this is what the good people of NY want, then so be it.

All League
    Since bullets can be privately and easily manufactured at relatively low costs, this would do nothing but create a black market and all of the violence and crime that comes with it.
    ================================================

Not in my opinion. Sure reloading is easy and cheap, when you are able to purchase the componets such as bullet casing, bullet, primer, powder, reloading press, scales, etc.

And I think most could figure out how to cast a musket ball. Which can't be fired from a modern firearm.

But to start from scratch would be near impossible for most all, with deadly results more then likely.

I do 100% agree with you about creating another black market.

All Pro
    Yet hundreds of thousands die each year by eating that same porkchop (wit a side of lard).

I don;t see a warnign label or bacground health-checks on Fast Food, do you?

Maybe there should be.
    I should have used a leg of lamb. Remember that old Hitchcock episode when the woman kills her husband with a leg of lamb and then feeds it to the police when they come to investigate?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnails View Post
    ================================================

Not in my opinion. Sure reloading is easy and cheap, when you are able to purchase the componets such as bullet casing, bullet, primer, powder, reloading press, scales, etc.

And I think most could figure out how to cast a musket ball. Which can't be fired from a modern firearm.

But to start from scratch would be near impossible for most all, with deadly results more then likely.

I do 100% agree with you about creating another black market.
    Fair enough.

I've seen enough people doing it on Doomsday Preppers to come to the conclusion that it can be pulled off fairly easily. Many of these people are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

In any case, there would certainly be a black market where ammo can be purchased illegally and relatively cheaply. Bottom line, it may be good for a comedy bit, but it's not a viable nor practical solution.

All Pro
    Mods, please combine all the aimless gun-grabbing threads, thx

All League
    I found this might interest Ustobeacop.

NY Forgot to Exclude Police from High-Capacity Magazine Ban
    Lawmakers in NY Forgot to Exclude Police from High-Capacity Magazine Ban
    by S.H. Blannelberry

110 5645

When New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo rammed through his draconian gun bill, he forgot one thing: to exempt police officers.

So, under the language of the NY SAFE Act – New York Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act – it is illegal for police and other law enforcement agencies to possess magazines holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.

Although this portion of NY SAFE doesn’t take effect until March, this oversight underscores the hasty and careless manner in which the law was passed.

Following a contentious five-hour debate on Tuesday, just prior to its ratification, GOP Assemblyman Steven Katz asked rhetorically, “Why are we being bullied into voting on this bill without our proper, responsible due diligence?”

He then supplied his own answer, saying that it was “Solely due to the governor’s misguided, egotistic notion that this will advance his presidential aspirations.”

Even those who supported the NY SAFE thought it was a bit foolish for Gov. Cuomo to pursue a gun bill when there are plenty of other legislative priorities.

Staten Island Assembly Republican Nicole Malliotakis told the NY Daily News that relief funds for Hurricane Sandy victims should have taken precedence.

“I lost 22 people in my district in the storm,” she said, adding that only five people statewide were killed with a rifle.

Meanwhile, the governor’s office is looking at ways to exclude active duty and retired law enforcement from the magazine ban.

“We are still working out some details of the law and the exemption will be included, currently no police officer is in violation,” a spokesman for the governor told a local ABC News affiliate.

And in a statement, the Patrolman’s Benevolent Association President said, “The PBA is actively working to enact changes to this law that will provide the appropriate exemptions from the law for active and retired law enforcement officers.”

As noted in a previous Guns.com article, it appears that the law is retroactive. Meaning, owners of magazines will have one year to sell them out of state, failure to do so (or if one is caught with an 8-plus round magazine) will result in a misdemeanor charge.

Former NYPD Captain and current State Senator Eric Adams, who is part of the effort seeking a magazine exemption for police officers, brought up an interesting point, he said, “You can’t give more ammo to the criminals.”

In other words, criminals won’t obey the law and they will continue to use high-capacity magazines. By an extension of his logic, it goes to show that the real intention of this law was not to disarm criminals, but to limit what types of firearms and accessories law-abiding citizens can own.

Given this fact, what are your thoughts about a ‘Cuomo 2016’ presidential campaign?

Lawmakers in NY Forgot to Exclude Police from High-Capacity Magazine Ban (VIDEO) - Guns.com

Jets Insider VIP
    Cuomo thinks he's gonna be president with this ****.

He ranted about "reproductive rights" like abortion was illegal and being done in back alleys.

He's still sucking the dicks of his enviro-terrorist supporters by not allowing fracking and he's trying to close Indian Point. Seems to be left of Obuttocks.

Then again, with media help, anything is possible.

Does mayor Bloomberg's private body guards carry guns?

(hypocrite)