Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: Gil Brandt mock

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    Right...because other USC QBs like John David Booty, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, Rodney Peete and Todd Marinovich have been so clutch.
    Your right, lets spend more high draft picks on defensive players. Brilliant.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If we take a Qb in the 1st round at 9 we are stupid. If we trade up for one I'll be dangling at the end of a rope.
    It doesn't make sense to me unless they take Geno Smith (and people's opinions obviously vary on him). He may not be "worth" the #9 pick in terms of his abilities, but he has been a consensus top 10 type prospect for a while and entirely based on his play during the college season. If Glennon, Nassib, or a prospect like that suddenly rises, it is based on factors other than play on the field which is the type of crazy thinking that gets you Dewayne Robertson with the #4 pick in the draft (projected late 1st round when college season ended, flew up draft boards because of combine, measurables, and upside).

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Your right, lets spend more high draft picks on defensive players. Brilliant.
    So, your plan is to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB....no matter how awful his skillset is?

    Someone should throw your computer down a flight of stairs.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    It doesn't make sense to me unless they take Geno Smith (and people's opinions obviously vary on him). He may not be "worth" the #9 pick in terms of his abilities, but he has been a consensus top 10 type prospect for a while and entirely based on his play during the college season. If Glennon, Nassib, or a prospect like that suddenly rises, it is based on factors other than play on the field which is the type of crazy thinking that gets you Dewayne Robertson with the #4 pick in the draft (projected late 1st round when college season ended, flew up draft boards because of combine, measurables, and upside).
    Well said! I don't like what I see from Geno Smith and think that in this draft we would be best going BPA at #9 and a QB sometime after that via trade up, trade for a vet, or stay put in the 2nd or 3rd and grab a guy.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    So, your plan is to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB....no matter how awful his skillset is?

    Someone should throw your computer down a flight of stairs.
    I wouldn't say Barkley's skillset is awful, but he doesn't really have elite physical tools. He's a solid, if unspectacular, passer. Plus the new GM has to consider that Barkley went to USC. He would probably say publicly that this stuff doesn't factor in, but you cannot sell this fanbase on another QB from USC. We would turn on him quick and likely never give him a chance (due to Sanchez's failures). That has to be factored in.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    So, your plan is to draft a QB for the sake of drafting a QB....no matter how awful his skillset is?
    He is going to be a top 10 pick in the draft. His skillset is not awful.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    He is going to be a top 10 pick in the draft. His skillset is not awful.
    What are you basing this projection on?

    I dont think I have seen any analyst having Barkley in the first round let alone the top 10.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    Here is one from nfl.com. Anyone I have read has barkley in the top 10.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...-brooks/155114

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Here is one from nfl.com. Anyone I have read has barkley in the top 10.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-d...-brooks/155114
    I think Barkley will surprise many people and wind up being pretty good. However, I am scared as hell in missing with a top ten pick! This team can't afford to take a guy at 9 and not have him pan out. Based on this draft class, I still like going QB late first round or in the 2nd or 3rd...

    If you could pry Flynn away from the Seahawks for a 3rd it would free up your first round selection to go BPA...

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    If we work barkley out and dont like him, then fine. Take the next best qb, wr or running back. We need to address our offensive skill positions. The 9th pick need to be a qb, wr or rb.

    NO MORE DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Your right, lets spend more high draft picks on defensive players. Brilliant.
    I generally agree that we need to acquire offensive players in this draft. However, at pick #9 specifically, there's no value for offensive talent (unless we fall in love with one of these QBs).

    While the Jets have had decent defenses recently, we will be losing 3 of our 4 starting linebackers next year. Specifically, we have 2 glaring holes at OLB, a position that is hard to fill. OLB/DE (Mingo, Jordan, and *gulp* Jones) are likely the best value.

  12. #32
    Gio Bernard at 9. Dynamic playmaker at the rb position. He'll be the lightning to Bilal Powell's thunder.

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,112
    However, at pick #9 specifically, there's no value for offensive talent (unless we fall in love with one of these QBs).
    With the rookie wage scale, we do not need to play by these old, unwritten draft rules anymore. We can reach for players and it doesnt have the financial impact it had before the rookie wage scale.

    Take the best WR in this draft at 9. Take the best rb in this draft at 9. Reach if needed. We need offensive, skill position players. Load up!

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    With the rookie wage scale, we do not need to play by these old, unwritten draft rules anymore. We can reach for players and it doesnt have the financial impact it had before the rookie wage scale.

    Take the best WR in this draft at 9. Take the best rb in this draft at 9. Reach if needed. We need offensive, skill position players. Load up!
    There is no consensus best RB or WR. Most are projected as late 1st round at best. It's the type of situation where we could reach for a RB at #9, but that same player could in theory be available to us with our 2nd round pick. To take WR in the 1st round would be complete lunacy given the other holes on this team. You can win in the NFL with a WR corps of Holmes, Kerley, Hill, and Edwards. Not to mention there isn't even close to a consensus top WR. The difference between the top 5 or 6 WR prospects is negligible.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I generally agree that we need to acquire offensive players in this draft. However, at pick #9 specifically, there's no value for offensive talent (unless we fall in love with one of these QBs).

    While the Jets have had decent defenses recently, we will be losing 3 of our 4 starting linebackers next year. Specifically, we have 2 glaring holes at OLB, a position that is hard to fill. OLB/DE (Mingo, Jordan, and *gulp* Jones) are likely the best value.
    This. I would accept QB at #9 but only Geno Smith (he won't be there though with Chiefs, Cards, and Bills all picking in front of us). I could maybe buy the idea of OL at #9 if it was Warmack or an elite OT prospect slipped. I wouldn't love it though.

    The value is at OLB/DE with our selection. We just absolutely cannot afford to miss on the player we do take though.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Right...because other USC QBs like John David Booty, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, Rodney Peete and Todd Marinovich have been so clutch.

    Never understood this narrative about how a QB can't be good because other QB from that school was bad. How many great QB from Michigan in the recent history of Tom Brady, or from Tenn with Peyton, or Miami(OH) with Ben...

  17. #37
    If Warmack isn't there, OLB is probably the way to go so long as Moore or Jones remains. If all three are gone then I'd look to trade down and select D.J. Fluker later on.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by sevomd View Post
    Never understood this narrative about how a QB can't be good because other QB from that school was bad. How many great QB from Michigan in the recent history of Tom Brady, or from Tenn with Peyton, or Miami(OH) with Ben...
    You're right in your assessment, but if the new GM takes a QB at #9, he has to sell the fanbase on the worthiness of the player/pick. This fanbase will not accept another USC QB and it will create a negative atmosphere around the guy's growth.

  19. #39
    A speed LB is a good pick. However, I'd rather trade down for a higher pick next year or an additional pick next year to either further fill our the roster or package together and move up.

    Jones is good. But the neck issues is certainly a concern.

  20. #40
    My preferences, in order:

    Scenario 1: Jordan/Jones/Mingo/Moore at 9, best left quarterback in the second round (maybe Nassib is still there? Or Barkley if he continues his fall?). Draft exclusively RBs/WR/OLB in the late rounds, hope to hit on one.

    Scenario 2: Geno Smith if he falls or we only have to move up one or two spots to get him. Try to sign Mathias Kiwanuka or similar to replace Calvin Pace, hope McIntyre and Demario Davis can step up. Draft RBs/WR/OLB in later rounds and hope to hit on one.

    Scenario 3: If Jordan, Jones, Mingo, Moore, and Smith are all off the board, trade to the bottom of the first round and hope Eddie Lacey is there when you pick.
    Last edited by Tackleem; 01-15-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us