Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSJ: Maybe the Jets' Cap Situation Isn't Hopeless

WSJ: Maybe the Jets' Cap Situation Isn't Hopeless

The Wall Street Journal

NY JETS
    January 15, 2013, 7:41 p.m. ET

Maybe the Jets' Cap Situation Isn't Hopeless
    By MICHAEL SALFINO

Before the Jets' new head of football operations tries to rebuild this 6-10 team, he must first dig it out of a roughly $25 million salary-cap hole. That helps explain why the Jets' top football job remains unfilled more than two weeks after the firing of general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

But a closer examination of the Jets' 2013 obligations reveals that an act of Congress won't be needed to rescue this team. At least that much cap room can be found by simply cutting some disappointing, highly paid veterans.

According to NYJetsCap.com, the Jets will be about $21 million over the estimated 2013 salary cap when the new league season begins in March. Additionally, the team needs to clear about $4 million more to sign its 2013 draft class.

The biggest savings, $12 million, can be had by cutting tackle Jason Smith, a backup whom ProFootballFocus.com ranked just 35th at his position based on his performance on every snap. Linebacker Calvin Pace ranked 69th of 72 linebackers and saves the Jets another $8.6 million if cut.

Fellow starting linebacker Bart Scott graded much better (23rd of 112), but returns the Jets another $7.2 million if released. Defensive tackle Sione Pouha, safety Eric Smith and quarterback Tim Tebow all graded poorly, too, and can be let go for a combined salary cap windfall of about $7.4 million. That adds up to $35.2 million—$10.2 million more than needed even before renegotiating other contracts for additional savings.

Due to arcane NFL salary-cap accounting, other players actually result in a cap charge if cut. For example, jettisoning quarterback Mark Sanchez in 2013 would force the team to first find another $4.3 million cap room.
    —Michael Salfino
    This Can Work

Here are the dispensable players whom the Jets can save the most 2013 salary-cap room by cutting, along with their 2012 ranking at their position.
    player position cap value cap savings
    if cut 2012 positional rank
    Jason Smith T $12M $12M 35th of 122

Calvin Pace
    LB $11.57M $8.56M 69th of 72

Bart Scott
    LB $8.65M $7.15M 23rd of 112

Sione Pouha
    DT $6.17M $3.83M 51st of 85

Eric Smith
    S $3M $3M 125th of 170

Tim Tebow
    QB $2.59M $1.53M 34th of 71

Santonio Holmes
    WR $12.5M $1.25M 100th of 206

Antonio Cromartie
    CB $10.75M $1.25M 15th of 217

Sources: NYJetsCap.com, ProFootballFocus.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...testheadlines#

Not sure about Cro; but the others are necessary to clean up the mess.

keep cro and cut the rest end of story.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    Linebacker Calvin Pace ranked 69th of 72 linebackers
    good God

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    keep cro and cut the rest end of story.
    As bad an attitude as he has, theres no way they can lose Holmes. Our receiving corps is terrible. Holmes is the only legitimate starting receiver on the roster. Holmes is a good #2, and Kerley a good #3. Get rid of Holmes and all you have on your team is a good #3. Hold off on comments about Hill. The guy is a bust now and will be the rest of his career. You can teach WR's to run better routes, use their body better to get to the ball, but you can never teach them how to catch the freakin ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    As bad an attitude as he has, theres no way they can lose Holmes. Our receiving corps is terrible. Holmes is the only legitimate starting receiver on the roster. Holmes is a good #2, and Kerley a good #3. Get rid of Holmes and all you have on your team is a good #3. Hold off on comments about Hill. The guy is a bust now and will be the rest of his career. You can teach WR's to run better routes, use their body better to get to the ball, but you can never teach them how to catch the freakin ball.
    Agreed.... Not a fan of Holmes but you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    good God
    It's frightening. Wayne Hunter range.
    Another Tanny bust, as they say.
    Imagine if hey was even just in the middle at 36?
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 01-15-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It's frightening, imagine if hey was even just in the middle at 36/72.
    Imagine if we had an average QB and average OLBs. We would be a playoff team.

the notion that the jets are in "cap hell" is completely overstated. i recall very clearly after parcells left, we were in absolute terrible situation as far as the cap...and had no substantial talent to show for it...that was HELL.

that being said, we currently have a good OL (best center in football), two elite CB's, good MLB's, good safeties (assuming we keep both), i am even ok with our receiving corps (braylon, hill, santonio, kerley).

EDIT: forgot two up and coming stud DE's and a very good DT in Pouha.

we have 3 issues:

QB - dont know how you get a decent QB, but there are ways of doing it...and the new GM will get paid to do so

RB - not a hard thing to do, easily could get a good RB in the second round, or move up into the late first

OLB - again, draft, free agency...i dont know exactly how or where...but its double with a top 10 pick especially

i think the jets are much closer to winning 11 games then they are to winning 5...but thats just me...
    Last edited by K-Met57; 01-15-2013 at 08:45 PM.

disagree. braylon edwards can be as good a #1 as holmes has ever been here for alot less money. look to get improvement from kerley,hill and a possible free agent or draft pick.

it wont matter who you have in the wr corps if sanchez is still the qb in 2013.

disagree. braylon edwards can be as good a #1 as holmes has ever been here for alot less money. look to get improvement from kerley,hill and a possible free agent or draft pick.

Braylon Edwards can be as good as a #1 or as bad as a practice squad player. You cant pin your hopes as a #1 receiver to a guy who has barely played the last 2 seasons while having serious durability concerns. If you tell me its Braylon of 2010 then I think we are set. But this is 3 years later.

no he can't

Can't cut Holmes. Te $1.5 savings is deceiving since the jets would still be paying him $9mil to play for another team. Won't happen. He's our best weapon, and a WR core of Holmes, Kerley, Braylon and Hill actually isn't that bad.

Braylon Edwards can be as good as a #1 or as bad as a practice squad player. You cant pin your hopes as a #1 receiver to a guy who has barely played the last 2 seasons while having serious durability concerns. If you tell me its Braylon of 2010 then I think we are set. But this is 3 years later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    no he can't
    but yet we call holmes the #1 wr. yea right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Can't cut Holmes. Te $1.5 savings is deceiving since the jets would still be paying him $9mil to play for another team. Won't happen. He's our best weapon, and a WR core of Holmes, Kerley, Braylon and Hill actually isn't that bad.
    Who's gonna throw the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Imagine if we had an average QB and average OLBs. We would be a playoff team.
    It's just so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    the notion that the jets are in "cap hell" is completely overstated. i recall very clearly after parcells left, we were in absolute terrible situation as far as the cap...and had no substantial talent to show for it...that was HELL.

that being said, we currently have a good OL (best center in football), two elite CB's, good MLB's, good safeties (assuming we keep both), i am even ok with our receiving corps (braylon, hill, santonio, kerley).

we have 3 issues:

QB - dont know how you get a decent QB, but there are ways of doing it...and the new GM will get paid to do so

RB - not a hard thing to do, easily could get a good RB in the second round, or move up into the late first

OLB - again, draft, free agency...i dont know exactly how or where...but its double with a top 10 pick especially

i think the jets are much closer to winning 11 games then they are to winning 5...but thats just me...
    Thanks buddy! This post honestly made me feel better.
    I'll drink it up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

First up.. props to Jason423 for getting sourced in the WSJ. He runs a great website.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post

we have 3 issues:

Now.. I'm here to rain on your parade a bit.

Yes, it's true that by cutting Pace, Scott, Jason Smith, Eric Smith and Tebow, the Jets will be under the cap. Add in the roll over in savings from this year, and we could be close to $15 million over. So what's the problem?

Here's the problem:

Jets FA

Defense:
    Landry
    Bell
    Thomas
    Devito

-Landry is going to get paid. The Jets can't afford what he'll demand on the market.

-Devito is a guy the Jets should try to resign, but he might land more $$ elsewhere.

-Thomas won't seem like a big loss if the Jets weren't already cutting Scott and Pace. That's 3/4 of a LB crew gone. It's high possible the Jets bring Scott or Thomas back for 1 year vet min contracts, mainly because they know the system and the team wont be able to afford to bring in starting quality LBs in FA. Davis will need to come in and start next year.

-Bell is a candidate to come back at a 1 year deal if he still wants to play. Assuming we lose Landry, we need Allen or Bell to step up and start in 2013.

Offense FA:

Greene
    Keller
    Slauson
    Moore
    Schillens

Greene - it's an easy (and popular) opinion to let Greene walk, but that will most likely mean grabbing a RB in the top 3 rounds of the draft to step in and play.

Keller - If Sanchez is coming back, Keller will probably be given the franchise tag. If not, they could let him walk. Again, the Jets will need to find a starting replacement.

Slauson - After the Jets jerked him around by making him take a paycut and then subbing in Duccase during the season, I dont see any way Slauson is coming back.

Moore - The other starting OG to probably have played his last down as a Jet. His play is declining, but without a viable alternative, the Jets could be offering Moore a one year deal.

Schillens - not a big loss, but the Jets will need to add WR depth whether through a low priced FA or later in the draft.

To summarize:

The Jets will have to replace two starting safeties, both outside linebackers, and inside starting linebacker, a rotation DE, both starting guards, their starting RB, starting TE, WR depth, and we haven't even started taking about the QB position..

The good news is the Jets can get more space by restructuring (or trading) Harris or Cromartie. (or perhaps even Revis) I can't see them wanting to add more years to Holmes or Sanchez's deals to lower their 2013 cap hit... but even if they create another $10-15 million of room, they still have a lot of holes to fill.

signing bell and landry is priority job 1.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    First up.. props to Jason423 for getting sourced in the WSJ. He runs a great website.

Now.. I'm here to rain on your parade a bit.

Yes, it's true that by cutting Pace, Scott, Jason Smith, Eric Smith and Tebow, the Jets will be under the cap. Add in the roll over in savings from this year, and we could be close to $15 million over. So what's the problem?

Here's the problem:

Jets FA

Defense:
    Landry
    Bell
    Thomas
    Devito

-Landry is going to get paid. The Jets can't afford what he'll demand on the market.

-Devito is a guy the Jets should try to resign, but he might land more $$ elsewhere.

-Thomas won't seem like a big loss if the Jets weren't already cutting Scott and Pace. That's 3/4 of a LB crew gone. It's high possible the Jets bring Scott or Thomas back for 1 year vet min contracts, mainly because they know the system and the team wont be able to afford to bring in starting quality LBs in FA. Davis will need to come in and start next year.

-Bell is a candidate to come back at a 1 year deal if he still wants to play. Assuming we lose Landry, we need Allen or Bell to step up and start in 2013.

Offense FA:

Greene
    Keller
    Slauson
    Moore
    Schillens

Greene - it's an easy (and popular) opinion to let Greene walk, but that will most likely mean grabbing a RB in the top 3 rounds of the draft to step in and play.

Keller - If Sanchez is coming back, Keller will probably be given the franchise tag. If not, they could let him walk. Again, the Jets will need to find a starting replacement.

Slauson - After the Jets jerked him around by making him take a paycut and then subbing in Duccase during the season, I dont see any way Slauson is coming back.

Moore - The other starting OG to probably have played his last down as a Jet. His play is declining, but without a viable alternative, the Jets could be offering Moore a one year deal.

Schillens - not a big loss, but the Jets will need to add WR depth whether through a low priced FA or later in the draft.

To summarize:

The Jets will have to replace two starting safeties, both outside linebackers, and inside starting linebacker, a rotation DE, both starting guards, their starting RB, starting TE, WR depth, and we haven't even started taking about the QB position..

The good news is the Jets can get more space by restructuring (or trading) Harris or Cromartie. (or perhaps even Revis) I can't see them wanting to add more years to Holmes or Sanchez's deals to lower their 2013 cap hit... but even if they create another $10-15 million of room, they still have a lot of holes to fill.
    so another words we cant afford to pay anyone, no one wants to play here, and we have no capacity to draft or sign free agents. does that about cover it? you must be one of those guys that knows exactly who our next GM should be

signing bell and landry is priority job 1.
    Bell is replaceable, Landry is a good safety...i hope to see him back.