Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: WSJ: Maybe the Jets' Cap Situation Isn't Hopeless

  1. #61
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,093
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Agreed.

    2013 needs to be sacrificed in order for success in 2014 and future years. Hopefully the new General Manager realizes this. And hey, if Rex isn't able to lead the group to a playoff berth, he can be canned the and G.M. can bring in his own guy.

    Everybody wins.
    Agree with this. Take our medicine in 2013, be healthy in 2014.

    Cut Sanchez and take the 17M cap hit now, and be done with him. Bring in a Jason Campbell, Matt Moore type, for cheap, and look for an opportunity to get a real QB in draft, FA, or trade the next year.

    Don't restructure contracts to save cap space in 2013, restructure to free up cap space in 2014.

    Leave Rex's future up to next GM. Hopefully will be smart enough to realize that no coach is able to take a talentless team to the playoffs, and will judge Rex based on his whole tenure and if team outperforms talent.

  2. #62
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is the tricky one. I don't think Woody is going to want to write him a check for $30M.

  3. #63
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    The one thing I do not want from a GM is the guy to show us how smart he is by renegotiating a bunch of contracts to defer cap pain into the future. This was Tanny's specialty. Be ruthless now, we can take it as fans.

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Hill'a bust

    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    As bad an attitude as he has, theres no way they can lose Holmes. Our receiving corps is terrible. Holmes is the only legitimate starting receiver on the roster. Holmes is a good #2, and Kerley a good #3. Get rid of Holmes and all you have on your team is a good #3. Hold off on comments about Hill. The guy is a bust now and will be the rest of his career. You can teach WR's to run better routes, use their body better to get to the ball, but you can never teach them how to catch the freakin ball.
    Hill's a beast. With respect your wrong about learning to catch.Edwards, worked hard after his first year with the Jets, dropped one pass, the entire 2010 season.I think Hill was trying to run, before securing the ball,i think he'll improve on that, if he works at it

  5. #65
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The one thing I do not want from a GM is the guy to show us how smart he is by renegotiating a bunch of contracts to defer cap pain into the future. This was Tanny's specialty. Be ruthless now, we can take it as fans.
    Renegotiating contracts and deferring cap costs isn't a bad move as long as you target the correct players. Brick, Mangold, Cro (if you keep him) and probably Harris could all be restructured to free up some room in 2013.

    That's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, I don't think a new GM is going to come in here, cut everyone, leave himself with ZERO cap room (think our cap situation is bad, look at what happens if we cut Sanchez prior to June 1 or Holmes) and have no ability bring in talent this off season. Tanking the season in your first year of the job, while might be the smartest thing to do, is also the riskiest.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Renegotiating contracts and deferring cap costs isn't a bad move as long as you target the correct players. Brick, Mangold, Cro (if you keep him) and probably Harris could all be restructured to free up some room in 2013.

    That's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, I don't think a new GM is going to come in here, cut everyone, leave himself with ZERO cap room (think our cap situation is bad, look at what happens if we cut Sanchez prior to June 1 or Holmes) and have no ability bring in talent this off season. Tanking the season in your first year of the job, while might be the smartest thing to do, is also the riskiest.
    Best scenario IMO is Holmes has a good 2013 season and he is either traded before the deadline or in 2014. Too bad Keller was hurt because he could've been traded before the deadline. Oh well...

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

  7. #67
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,901
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    It's one thing to get under the cap - it's another to get under the cap and to still have to sign/resign 11 starting positions.
    +1

    The Jets won't have a problem getting under the cap. They will have a problem fielding a competitive team in 2013.

    Next year is a full fledged rebuilding/bottom of the league type of year unless they luck out and hit on a large number of draft picks and cheap FA pick ups.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Renegotiating contracts and deferring cap costs isn't a bad move as long as you target the correct players. Brick, Mangold, Cro (if you keep him) and probably Harris could all be restructured to free up some room in 2013.

    That's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, I don't think a new GM is going to come in here, cut everyone, leave himself with ZERO cap room (think our cap situation is bad, look at what happens if we cut Sanchez prior to June 1 or Holmes) and have no ability bring in talent this off season. Tanking the season in your first year of the job, while might be the smartest thing to do, is also the riskiest.
    It is a bad thing if you are not built to have a legit chance to win now. The jets are delusional if they think this team is in the realm of what we have seen in the playoffs. If you have a legit shot short term then reneg away but you have to pay the price sooner or later and I hate deferring pain, especially if it means we are hamstrung with players longer.

  9. #69
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    4 rookie starters? Tall order.
    Not if you stick to making safe picks in the draft (OL, RB)

    Rd 1 - Chance Warmack (starting Left Guard)
    Rd 2 - Khaseem Green (starting OLB in 4-3, puts on a couple lbs he's starting ILB in 3-4 we need to change to 4-3 anyway)
    Rd 3 - Alvin Bailey (starting Right Guard)
    Rd 4 - Kenjon Barner (starting RB, a Leon Washington clone)


    Warmack will be criticized as a reach at 9 but he's a helluva safe pick and probable future pro bowler. Wanna get back to the playoffs and massage the cap? Draft Safe.

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    +1

    The Jets won't have a problem getting under the cap. They will have a problem fielding a competitive team in 2013.

    Next year is a full fledged rebuilding/bottom of the league type of year unless they luck out and hit on a large number of draft picks and cheap FA pick ups.
    That's where the Jets have to get creative.

    I see 2 big ways if they're smart

    End of career players on a 1 or 2 year contracts that are still playing well
    example (Brian Waters)

    Overlooked talent that might fit your system better
    example (Mike Vrabel) (Rob Ninkovich)

    You need to find those short term gems or overlooked gems. If the Jets can get a few of those, it would help a lot.

    What they can't do is chase huge names and hang onto risky talent in the hopes that they develop.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    That's where the Jets have to get creative.

    I see 2 big ways if they're smart

    End of career players on a 1 or 2 year contracts that are still playing well
    example (Brian Waters)

    Overlooked talent that might fit your system better
    example (Mike Vrabel) (Rob Ninkovich)

    You need to find those short term gems or overlooked gems. If the Jets can get a few of those, it would help a lot.

    What they can't do is chase huge names and hang onto risky talent in the hopes that they develop.
    That's the thing most Jets fans want to make the big splashy move drafting pass rushers and wide receivers in the draft thinking they have to be all-world by their rookie years or they're busts. Then they want to spend $4-6 million signing scrub qb's like Alex Smith and Matt Moore who aren't even upgrades over Sanchez.

  12. #72
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    All Sanchez did was go to the playoffs and nearly take your team to the Super Bowl in 2009-2010 when he actually had receivers who could get open. This "Sanchez can't even be on the roster" nonsense reminds me of the Brett Favre-hatred in 2008. "Favre just threw 22 picks he's done get rid of da bum" all I heard.

    Yet if the Jets had just held onto Favre one more year and brought in Rex they would have won the Super Bowl in 2009.
    There's no way Sanchez gets any playing time next season. The Jets are definitely going to bring in some competition at QB. And that competition will surely win out. The Sanchez played this last I doubt the CS would even let him out on the field. If not for the cap number associated with Sanchez he'd surely get cut/traded.

    The Rex Ryan obsession with Mark Sanchez is over and done with. He's done supporting him.

  13. #73
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Renegotiating contracts and deferring cap costs isn't a bad move as long as you target the correct players. Brick, Mangold, Cro (if you keep him) and probably Harris could all be restructured to free up some room in 2013.

    That's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, I don't think a new GM is going to come in here, cut everyone, leave himself with ZERO cap room (think our cap situation is bad, look at what happens if we cut Sanchez prior to June 1 or Holmes) and have no ability bring in talent this off season. Tanking the season in your first year of the job, while might be the smartest thing to do, is also the riskiest.
    It is a bad thing to do, sometimes it is necessary but it is always bad. It just transfers flexibility today for inflexibility in the future. The new GM IMO will cut all these players (2 Smiths,Pace. Scott, Pouha, Tebow) Sanchez will stay
    Even if he is cut after june 1st, his roster spot will still need to be taken by a qb making at least 1 mill. All teams need a b/u with some exp and who knows, a light may come back on.

    Soon everyone will know who has what responsibilities, Will the GM pick the players? Will Rex have final say on the roster? The new GM may want to **** can holmes and his attitude, Rex will probably want to keep him.

  14. #74
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    There's no way Sanchez gets any playing time next season. The Jets are definitely going to bring in some competition at QB. And that competition will surely win out. The Sanchez played this last I doubt the CS would even let him out on the field. If not for the cap number associated with Sanchez he'd surely get cut/traded.

    The Rex Ryan obsession with Mark Sanchez is over and done with. He's done supporting him.
    I'm never going to stop disagreeing with you people. Sanchez is salvageable.


    Doesn't matter who the qb is you're not winning in the NFL with Chaz Schilens, Cumby and Clyde Gates as your biggest receiving threats, scrub RB's and a mediocre at best OL. That's why Greg "Why Isn't Rex starting him" McElroy sucked and why Rex probably saved Teabag's career not throwing him into our meat grinder of an offense this season.

  15. #75
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think they can cut holmes. All wildcat, all the time. No throwing for Sanchez.

  16. #76
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post

    Doesn't matter who the qb is you're not winning in the NFL with Chaz Schilens, Cumby and Clyde Gates as your biggest receiving threats, scrub RB's and a mediocre at best OL...
    .... Or Sackchez at QB. Fixed.

  17. #77
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I'm never going to stop disagreeing with you people. Sanchez is salvageable.


    Doesn't matter who the qb is you're not winning in the NFL with Chaz Schilens, Cumby and Clyde Gates as your biggest receiving threats, scrub RB's and a mediocre at best OL. That's why Greg "Why Isn't Rex starting him" McElroy sucked and why Rex probably saved Teabag's career not throwing him into our meat grinder of an offense this season.
    I think you're looking at it backwards. It should read "It doesn't matter who your receivers are when your QB is Mark Sanchez" at least the Mark Sanchez of 2013.

    If the Jets could get above average QB play in 2013, they have a chance to contend for a Wild Card. Now, you can say that about just about every team in the league, but it holds true.

    And, I agree with your point about Sanchez - I believe he's salvageable....but not in NY. Too much baggage for him to succeed here. JMO, he needs to go somewhere else, sit for a bit, and start over. But, he's still young - over 3 years younger than Brandon Weeden. He has plenty of time to resurrect his career.

    And while its sensible to make moves in consideration that the upcoming year isn't the year the team is "going for it", no team fully gives up on a year. Too many strange things happen in football. In 2006, the Jets had no real hopes for making the playoffs. They still went out and traded for Kevan Barlow for a 4th round pick. It turned out to be a terrible trade as Barlow was hurt a lot and basically sucked - but I didn't mind the idea behind it. The Jets were still trying to compete despite the year being labeled a "rebuilding" one.

    I'm not suggesting mortgaging the future of the franchise to take a stupid flier on some overpaid player. But, despite the somewhat bleak outlook, the team needs to factor in long term AND short term needs. The Jets had a lot of injuries this year. If they (first and foremost) can get some competent QB play next year, shore up the Oline a bit (really only needs one new guy), have some of their younger guys mature in line with what they should be doing, they can be in the mix.

    Is it more likely than not? Clearly not - the o/u for team wins will probably be at 6.5, but stranger things have happened.

  18. #78
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Elizabeth, NJ
    Posts
    3,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting Holmes makes no sense. Bring back Edwards, who will be cheap to re-sign, and concentrate on the 0-line and running back.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us