Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another GM Candidate Snubs Jets

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Another GM Candidate Snubs Jets

The Jetsí pool of candidates for their vacant general manager job shrunk by one yesterday.

Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross withdrew his name from consideration for the job, according to a source.

Ross interviewed for the job on Jan. 7 as part of the initial group of candidates the Jets looked at. The Jets are bringing some candidates back this week for second interviews and hope to have a general manager hired by the end of the week.

Ross, 39, interviewed for GM openings with the Jets, Jaguars, Chargers and Panthers. He is considered a rising star in the league and a future general manager.

A Princeton graduate, he worked with the Eagles and Bills before joining the Giants in May 2007. He has run the Giants draft room for the past five years, leading the evaluation process of players such as Hakeem Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul and David Wilson.

The Jets have interviewed at least 10 candidates to fill the position left open when they fired Mike Tannenbaum.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Withdrew his name = knew he wasn't getting the job so "withdrew" so he wouldn't look like a reject.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm crushed.

SAR you are well on your way to earning full troll status among the majority on this board. You used to be able to somewhat hide your true purpose, but lately you have become really transparent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Few people have been more critical than me about this GM search. But I don't think this is that big of a deal. I don't think the Jets had him at the top of their list. I think he removed himself after figuring out that he wasn't going to be the guy.

That said, this is starting to get drawn out and if we see some other people drop out then that might become an issue.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

We wern't interested

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Jetsí pool of candidates for their vacant general manager job shrunk by one yesterday.

Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross withdrew his name from consideration for the job, according to a source.

Ross interviewed for the job on Jan. 7 as part of the initial group of candidates the Jets looked at. The Jets are bringing some candidates back this week for second interviews and hope to have a general manager hired by the end of the week.

Ross, 39, interviewed for GM openings with the Jets, Jaguars, Chargers and Panthers. He is considered a rising star in the league and a future general manager.

A Princeton graduate, he worked with the Eagles and Bills before joining the Giants in May 2007. He has run the Giants draft room for the past five years, leading the evaluation process of players such as Hakeem Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul and David Wilson.

The Jets have interviewed at least 10 candidates to fill the position left open when they fired Mike Tannenbaum.

SAR I
    Was never asked to come in for a second interview

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Was never asked to come in for a second interview
    Why let facts get in the way of SAR's overall theme that the Jets are a disaster of an organization that no one would want to work for?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NY Jets GM role is a coveted position and anyone that says otherwise doesn't understand the NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    Why let facts get in the way of SAR's overall theme that the Jets are a disaster of an organization that no one would want to work for?
    I must admit im getting a little impatient though.I wish we'd pick somebody of quality and get on with it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure the Jets withdrew Ross' name before Ross did. Didn't know Ross interviewed for 4 GM jobs this offseason. He probably needs a little more seasoning. Maybe another year or so with the Giants, draft a solid class then he'll get another shot.

We can hire Ross next year to be GM to replace Cohen ... kidding!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The NY Jets GM role is a coveted position and anyone that says otherwise doesn't understand the NFL.
    If it's such a coveted position, how come the position is still vacant after several weeks of interviews?

You might be right that this is a good job to have under normal circumstances, but the current situation here is far from normal.

The dysfunction runs deep and it appears as though Woody is just looking for a figurehead type of guy.

Rex being retained is a joke and because of that, we're likely going to see a joke hired for GM.

This is all very depressing.

I'm not often a doom and gloomer, not a SOJF, and I generally like the players and moves the team makes. But I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    If it's such a coveted position, how come the position is still vacant after several weeks of interviews?

You might be right that this is a good job to have under normal circumstances, but the current situation here is far from normal.

The dysfunction runs deep and it appears as though Woody is just looking for a figurehead type of guy.

Rex being retained is a joke and because of that, we're likely going to see a joke hired for GM.

This is all very depressing.

I'm not often a doom and gloomer, not a SOJF, and I generally like the players and moves the team makes. But I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel here.
    The Jets are being thorough, something I apreciate. What's the rush?

Figure head type? How does it appear that way?

We know very little about what's really going on other than the Jets are taking their time in an attempt to make quality choice.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Few people have been more critical than me about this GM search. But I don't think this is that big of a deal. I don't think the Jets had him at the top of their list. I think he removed himself after figuring out that he wasn't going to be the guy.

That said, this is starting to get drawn out and if we see some other people drop out then that might become an issue.
    BINGO!

Boomer Esiason said the exact same thing this morning when Carton (much like some other Jets fans here) attempted to spin the self-loathing narrative that Ross turned the Jets down. So Ross turned down the Jets in the same way that I decided that I was not going to ask Scarlett Johansson out on a date

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see the Board starting to get it.

Lets see, lower tier name who appears to have not been a serious option (at this point in his career) "withdraws" his name, eh? A name no one has even been rumouring (in this media-throws-every-name-against-the-wall-just-in-case) was a serious, had-a-real-chance candidate?

Jets are in a no-win situation with many Fans.

Hire someone fast, and it's "SEE!!!! Woody FORCED this hire so he could protect Rex and have his guy, he hasn't learned anything, what a joke we are!"

Perform a long thorough process and it's "SEE!!!!! Woody can't make a decision, cause he's trying to protect Rex and have his guy, he hasn't learned anything, what a joke we are!"

It's pretty obvious ANY choice of GM at ANY time the choice could be made, would recieve massive criticism from a certain segment of our fanbase.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Withdrew his name = knew he wasn't getting the job so "withdrew" so he wouldn't look like a reject.
    THIS +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Nice to see the Board starting to get it.

Lets see, lower tier name who appears to have not been a serious option (at this point in his career) "withdraws" his name, eh? A name no one has even been rumouring (in this media-throws-every-name-against-the-wall-just-in-case) was a serious, had-a-real-chance candidate?

Jets are in a no-win situation with many Fans.

Hire someone fast, and it's "SEE!!!! Woody FORCED this hire so he could protect Rex and have his guy, he hasn't learned anything, what a joke we are!"

Perform a long thorough process and it's "SEE!!!!! Woody can't make a decision, cause he's trying to protect Rex and have his guy, he hasn't learned anything, what a joke we are!"

It's pretty obvious ANY choice of GM at ANY time the choice could be made, would recieve massive criticism from a certain segment of our fanbase.
    As much as there my be a segment of the fan base whose frustrations may have led them to be overly negative in the eyes of some people there is another segment, just as vocal for whom this cluster f&*k of an organization can do no wrong.

Personally I am in favor of a long search because the wrong choice will take 7-10 years out of this franchise the same way the last wrong choice did. None of that means that I agree with announcing the retention of Rex before the new top guy is retained. Cart before horse much?

<edited to add>
    Yes, SAR overplays his hand but when has that ever not been true of SAR on any subject?

The willingness of some in our fan base to blame another segment of the fan base for many of the ills of this organization (Chicken Little's and SOJFs) is astonishing quite frankly. We are fans. They are the same old Jets except a little worse with the circus this time around. All of us at this point are SOJFs because the product they have put on the field and on the back pages is the SAME OLD JETS!.

WTF is the matter with some of you people? I wish things were better. They are not.
    Last edited by EM31; 01-16-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He can't just withdraw from GM consideration without it being a story. He needs to withdraw and issue a public statement like " I am removing my name from the NYJets GM search because apparently they have decided to head in a different direction just like the 4 other teams I interviewed with". What are the chances he issues a statement like that? Not very good. If he makes that statement the Jet beat writers would have nothing negative to say about the Jets. No news. So Ross figured might as well get out and make the Jets look bad again and it worked to a point.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IDIOT i View Post

IDIOT i
    Such a rising star yet the Jags, Chargers and Panthers didn't offer him a job either....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    As much as there my be a segment of the fan base whose frustrations may have led them to be overly negative in the eyes of some people there is another segment, just as vocal for whom this cluster f&*k of an organization can do no wrong.
    Outside of Ray Ray, I can't think of even a single poster who takes that view.

The Jets do plenty of wrong, and I think most of us would agree on that. Proof is in the record, tbqh. Even if they do something we support (for me, for example, keeping Rex one more year) we can agree that firing him was also a legitimate position to hold, as Rex screwed up alot the past two years. Alot.

The willingness of some in our fan base to blame another segment of the fan base for many of the ills of this organization (Chicken Little's and SOJFs) is astonishing quite frankly.
    I don't blame the Fans, per se, although I think New York Fans are (IMO) some of the very worst in sports due to impatience and a sense of entitlement. If anything, I blame the NY Sports Media that feeds, daily, the inpatient self-loathing of New York Fans.

I wish things were better. They are not.
    I think most of us feel that way, with a few select exceptions who I believe enjoy being bad and the resultant forum-fun they get out of it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The Jets are being thorough, something I apreciate. What's the rush?

Figure head type? How does it appear that way?

We know very little about what's really going on other than the Jets are taking their time in an attempt to make quality choice.
    It appears as though they're looking for a figure head type because the owner has already promised Rex that his job is safe and gave him power to make coaching hires. Rex will be involved in the later part of the interview process, why?

This whole situation is a disaster.

Maybe they're taking their time because they are determined to find the right guy, which is great, and I hope that's the case.

Or perhaps they're taking this long because most qualified candidates don't want this job.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    The Jets already eliminated Marc Ross from consideration on January 8th. Let's look at the facts. He interviewed for the job on January 7th. He was never called back for a second interview. Two weeks after being interviewed. He "pulls himself" out of the running. He was already out of the running. It took him two weeks to "withdraw" himself from consideration.