Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117

Thread: Another GM Candidate Snubs Jets

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Outside of Ray Ray, I can't think of even a single poster who takes that view.

    The Jets do plenty of wrong, and I think most of us would agree on that. Proof is in the record, tbqh. Even if they do something we support (for me, for example, keeping Rex one more year) we can agree that firing him was also a legitimate position to hold, as Rex screwed up alot the past two years. Alot.



    I don't blame the Fans, per se, although I think New York Fans are (IMO) some of the very worst in sports due to impatience and a sense of entitlement. If anything, I blame the NY Sports Media that feeds, daily, the inpatient self-loathing of New York Fans.



    I think most of us feel that way, with a few select exceptions who I believe enjoy being bad and the resultant forum-fun they get out of it.
    I pretty much agree with everything you have said here with the possible exception of Rex. My opinion there is that you leave all of that up to the new GM and going the route that they did means that the Jets search for a new GM may have been made more challenging as a result.

    Anyway, a careful search is good on balance and if that means other teams might just get our guy then so be it. 7-10 years is a huge price to pay for the wrong choice.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,228
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    If it's such a coveted position, how come the position is still vacant after several weeks of interviews?

    You might be right that this is a good job to have under normal circumstances, but the current situation here is far from normal.

    The dysfunction runs deep and it appears as though Woody is just looking for a figurehead type of guy.

    Rex being retained is a joke and because of that, we're likely going to see a joke hired for GM.

    This is all very depressing.

    I'm not often a doom and gloomer, not a SOJF, and I generally like the players and moves the team makes. But I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel here.
    So go root for some other team.

  3. #23
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

    I don't blame the Fans, per se, although I think New York Fans are (IMO) some of the very worst in sports due to impatience and a sense of entitlement. If anything, I blame the NY Sports Media that feeds, daily, the inpatient self-loathing of New York Fans.
    You don't live in New York so how the hell do you know how we feel?

    Accusing a Jets fan of impatience is ridiculous. Could any NFL fan base show more patience and more support than fans of the Jets?

    Sense of entitlement? What exactly have we been entitled to for the past 50 years except losing football and paying for the privilege to see it?

    The New York media is just doing their job and telling fans what's happening. Jets fans spend a lot of time and a lot of money to see their team play. We show up in good seasons or bad.

    You want to know what's really wrong? Bombastic, self-important outsiders judging the people of New York and the fans of the Jets. You haven't been to a home Jets game in decades yet you feel empowered to tell us how we support our team. You live 500 miles away and somehow can smell entitlement. You haven't seen a New York City newsstand since 2000 yet feel we are all lemmings being sucked in by the New York media.

    Root for the Jets like everybody else. Voice your opinions like everybody else. Spare us the judgment.

    SAR I

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I pretty much agree with everything you have said here with the possible exception of Rex. My opinion there is that you leave all of that up to the new GM and going the route that they did means that the Jets search for a new GM may have been made more challenging as a result.
    Agreed. The new GM should have absolute authority to retain or terminate Rex IMO as well, and yes, it could be a minor factor to a potential new GM candidate. I say minor, because Rex in any real-world gets 2013....and thats it if he fails. So any new GM would, at the worst, be "stuck" with Rex for only one year.

    I reject wholesale the idea that Rex could go 2-14 in 2013 and stay as Coach because Woody has some kind of mancrush on him. Rex is on his last legs if he fails to turn it around, as he SHOULD be.

    Anyway, a careful search is good on balance and if that means other teams might just get our guy then so be it. 7-10 years is a huge price to pay for the wrong choice.
    Agreed.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    Why let facts get in the way of SAR's overall theme that the Jets are a disaster of an organization that no one would want to work for?
    But this is absolutely true.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You don't live in New York so how the hell do you know how we feel?

    Accusing a Jets fan of impatience is ridiculous. Could any NFL fan base show more patience and more support than fans of the Jets?

    Sense of entitlement? What exactly have we been entitled to for the past 50 years except losing football and paying for the privilege to see it?

    The New York media is just doing their job and telling fans what's happening. Jets fans spend a lot of time and a lot of money to see their team play. We show up in good seasons or bad.

    You want to know what's really wrong? Bombastic, self-important outsiders judging the people of New York and the fans of the Jets. You haven't been to a home Jets game in decades yet you feel empowered to tell us how we support our team. You live 500 miles away and somehow can smell entitlement. You haven't seen a New York City newsstand since 2000 yet feel we are all lemmings being sucked in by the New York media.

    Root for the Jets like everybody else. Voice your opinions like everybody else. Spare us the judgment.

    SAR I
    Well that was a but of a rant but a better one than the OP which started all of this.

    You have no way of knowing whether or not Ross withdrew his name after he heard people were getting callbacks and he had not. To spin it into a thread of "yet another guy snubbing the Jets" is a reach to say the least and makes you seem desperate somehow.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agreed. The new GM should have absolute authority to retain or terminate Rex IMO as well, and yes, it could be a minor factor to a potential new GM candidate. I say minor, because Rex in any real-world gets 2013....and thats it if he fails. So any new GM would, at the worst, be "stuck" with Rex for only one year.
    If you were a potential candidate for the Jets job and knew Rex was being thrown in your face, guaranteed to stay for a year, wouldn't you be put off that on Day 1 the owner was telling you what football decisions you can and cannot make?

    I know I would.

    You say minor, I completely disagree because it's not just about Rex, it's about the owner pushing buttons and making decisions he's not qualified to make. It's his money, great. But let the football people make the football decisions.

    Nobody wants to put his fingerprints on the Tebow move, so who was calling the shots there?

    Great teams don't have owners like this, and they have GMs trusted to make football moves.

    Sh!tty teams have meddling owners and castrated GMs who aren't allowed to call the shots. Looks like the Jets are more in this category right now than they are in the other.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    I'm crushed.

    SAR you are well on your way to earning full troll status among the majority on this board. You used to be able to somewhat hide your true purpose, but lately you have become really transparent.
    Well on his way? He's been there for years now - full on troll!

  9. #29
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me beat the negative spin media to the punch.

    Candidates who have not been invited back to second interviews have all "spurned" the Jets and "withdrawn" themselves from consideration for the Jets GM job. You are not allowed to "snub" a job two weeks after you have already been "snubbed" by the team you interviewed for.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-16-2013 at 08:47 AM.

  10. #30
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    It appears as though they're looking for a figure head type because the owner has already promised Rex that his job is safe and gave him power to make coaching hires. Rex will be involved in the later part of the interview process, why?

    This whole situation is a disaster.

    Maybe they're taking their time because they are determined to find the right guy, which is great, and I hope that's the case.

    Or perhaps they're taking this long because most qualified candidates don't want this job.

    I think we all need to have a little patience. Everyone around here has their panties in a twist. This is not a disaster. I truly believe the Jets are trying change their perception around the league of being a bunch of clowns. Hiring KornFerry to assist in the search was a smart move and shows Woody is serious about changing things. Hopefully they are just doing their due diligence and as much homework on all of these candidates as possible.

    Also, I don't buy the whole figurehead talk at all. If they wanted a figurehead he would of been hired already. In my opinion they are searching for the best candidate and weighing all of their options...not just jumping and signing a guy based on his name.

    At the end of the day none of us really know what is going on or what their thought process is. We may think we do but we have no clue. It's all speculation. Just be excited knowing that the organization is making changes, obviously in an attempt to put a better product on the field for us fans. I just hope that many of you just trust that Woody is trying to do what's best for the future of this organization.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agreed. The new GM should have absolute authority to retain or terminate Rex IMO as well, and yes, it could be a minor factor to a potential new GM candidate. I say minor, because Rex in any real-world gets 2013....and thats it if he fails. So any new GM would, at the worst, be "stuck" with Rex for only one year.

    I reject wholesale the idea that Rex could go 2-14 in 2013 and stay as Coach because Woody has some kind of mancrush on him. Rex is on his last legs if he fails to turn it around, as he SHOULD be.



    Agreed.
    I think I have put forth in another thread the idea that keeping Rex in 2013, if you expect a really down year is not a bad strategy. Even if it is a cynical one. The only problem with that idea is that the GM is not in place yet to be able to have such a strategy. It is far less plausible if the idea is that Woody is doing that for the new GM in advance.

    The Jets are not typically that smart or that ruthless.

    The other minor problem of one-and-done Rex is what happens to the new OC that we are collecting this Offseason? Or the new ST coach or DC for that matter?
    Last edited by EM31; 01-16-2013 at 08:41 AM.

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,572
    Post Thanks / Like
    He might have been the rooney rule candidate also and felt that was only reason he was interviewed got annoyed..hence pulling his name

  13. #33
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,700
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    If you were a potential candidate for the Jets job and knew Rex was being thrown in your face, guaranteed to stay for a year, wouldn't you be put off that on Day 1 the owner was telling you what football decisions you can and cannot make?

    I know I would.
    I wouldn't. Unless you have another, better, richer team knocking down your door, potential GM's in lesser jobs do not reject jobs as GM's for a one-year Rex Ryan.

    You say minor, I completely disagree because it's not just about Rex, it's about the owner pushing buttons and making decisions he's not qualified to make. It's his money, great. But let the football people make the football decisions.
    Implies you know the level of "meddle" of every NFL Owner. We don't.

    For example, prove that Krafty was not the driving force behind signing say, Ocho Cinco a few years back. You can't We assume he wasn't, but we don't know. Same way we don't know who (Coach or GM) REALLY is responsible for some moves....hell, Gibbs and Casserly in DC still fight over who made what decisions in their heyday together.

    Difference is, the Pats are good, we're not. Good teams get passes on hype moves. Bad teams don't.

    Nobody wants to put his fingerprints on the Tebow move, so who was calling the shots there?
    What qualifies as "putting their fingers on" then move? Both Rex and Tanny have taken ownership of it if I recall. A "group decision" I think is what they've called it, which impies pretty clearly that both Tanny and Rex wanted it.

    Great teams don't have owners like this, and they have GMs trusted to make football moves.
    And again, we have no proof that wasn't the case here under Tanny. We have speculation about one move on one player (Tebow) and we now have the Rex retaining.

    Sh!tty teams have meddling owners and castrated GMs who aren't allowed to call the shots. Looks like the Jets are more in this category right now than they are in the other.
    Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder, the two most meddling owners in the NFL. Woody could certainly be like them, it's certainly possible.

    I just don't see the same things under Woody I see down here under Dan, or we see daily in Texas under GM Jones.

    The Tebow move alone just isn't enough to convince me. Put simply, it isn't that big a draw to anyone but ESPN, especially as a backup QB.

    Now, if we start Tebow all of 2013......whelp, I may have to re-evaluation my opinions on Woody and meddling, lol.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-16-2013 at 08:48 AM.

  14. #34
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Well that was a but of a rant but a better one than the OP which started all of this.

    You have no way of knowing whether or not Ross withdrew his name after he heard people were getting callbacks and he had not. To spin it into a thread of "yet another guy snubbing the Jets" is a reach to say the least and makes you seem desperate somehow.
    I copy/pasted an article from the NY Post. If you're saying the NY Post is desperate, that's your issue with them, not me.

    SAR I

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Woods in Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I copy/pasted an article from the NY Post. If you're saying the NY Post is desperate, that's your issue with them, not me.

    SAR I
    Nice try - But we are smarter than that SAR. You copied it because you liked the way the writer made the Jets look bad.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    FISH,

    of course I have no proof of who is making what decisions... but it seems as though Woody has more Snyder in him than Rooney, at least to me.

    Also, we don't know who other teams are interested in as GM... the Jets have missed out on a few already, so those guys obviously didn't go back to their old jobs.

    And with Kraft, you know if BB says no to a player, that guy isn't coming to the team. I should not have to prove he was not the driving force to sign Ocho since Kraft has no known history of making such moves... you should have to prove he was because that goes against his reputation.

    All indications are Rex said yes to the Tebow trade, but his actions this year say otherwise. If he REALLY wanted Tim, he would have played him. He very clearly did not want that player.

    You believe that the new GM should have the ability to keep or terminate Rex, yet you say that Woody isn't a meddling owner?

    If the owner is going to make the a GM's most important decision before they even hire GM, doesn't that really say all that needs to be said?

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,917
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice try - But we are smarter than that SAR. You copied it because you liked the way the writer made the Jets look bad.
    The Jets make themselves look bad. Stop blaming the media, tebow etc for the jets issues. They are a joke and its their fault.

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    3,346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You don't live in New York so how the hell do you know how we feel?


    SAR I

    interwebs.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    I'm crushed.

    SAR you are well on your way to earning full troll status among the majority on this board. You used to be able to somewhat hide your true purpose, but lately you have become really transparent.
    Srsly

    JUst like each time Schotty 'withdrew' his name after he knew he had no chance

    The Jaguars and Chargers said no thanks, I wonder why
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-16-2013 at 09:09 AM.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans have a legitimate reason to be upset with the current state of this franchise. But there is a big difference between that and some of the fans here who enjoy wading in SOJF misery. They are the fans that think the team cannot win a particular game because of a game they lost in 1987. They are the fans that are afraid to draft a particular player because the team drafted a player at the same position or from the same school 25 years ago. That is a SOJF fan.

    But reasonable fans have legitimate reasons to be upset with the team; the contracts given to Sanchez and others have put the Jets in a bad cap situation. The handling of Sanchez's development was inept. The people in charge of personnel allowed the team's roster to become void of talent, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. The hiring of Sparano as offensive coordinator was a disaster. The owner's desire to run the franchise like a WWE product where sensationalism trumps winning. And finally, the owner's desire to hire a GM and force the head coach down their throats.

    All of the above are legitimate reasons to be upset with the current state of this team. But SOJF don't need legitimate reasons to be upset; they much prefer a warm glass of misery much like Cubs fans embrace their lovable losers title.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-16-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us