Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another GM Candidate Snubs Jets

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat melookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat melookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelook atmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookat melookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme lookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelo okatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatmelookatme

lookatme

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Withdrew his name = knew he wasn't getting the job so "withdrew" so he wouldn't look like a reject.
    Pretty much this. Happens all the time when a guy realizes he is out of the running. But SOJF's will insist that it was because of Rex's tatoo. Let me ask this, if Ross didn't want the Jets job why would he have interviewed in the first place and waiting this long to pull his name from consideration.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    I'm crushed.

SAR you are well on your way to earning full troll status among the majority on this board. You used to be able to somewhat hide your true purpose, but lately you have become really transparent.
    More like pathetic than transparent.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    FISH,

of course I have no proof of who is making what decisions... but it seems as though Woody has more Snyder in him than Rooney, at least to me.
    I'd agree it's more likely that a younger, inexperienced owner like Woody would be more "new school" than "old school", aye. But it's the level of meddling that counts, and tahst the hardest part for us fans to quantify beyond speculation.

Also, we don't know who other teams are interested in as GM... the Jets have missed out on a few already, so those guys obviously didn't go back to their old jobs.
    "Missed Out" could also be "didn't want". We only have media speculation to go on there. Also ignores that those we interviewed and were hired elsewhere may have only been using big-market NY as a bargaining chip to get a better contract with the team they really wanted, in which case, we never had a shot to start with.

And with Kraft, you know if BB says no to a player, that guy isn't coming to the team.
    Why do we know that? B.B. certainly doesn;t have to answer questions up in N.E. like the Jets do down here, and even if he had to.....he doesn't and wouldn't answer them anyway. Silence is the difference, Rex bloviates (badly IMO) and B.B. is silent. There is an old saying about that......

I should not have to prove he was not the driving force to sign Ocho since Kraft has no known history of making such moves... you should have to prove he was because that goes against his reputation.
    Proves my point, thank you.

"known history"

"reputation"

I.e. we have no idea. we only know what ESPN tells us, and thats that Kraft is a brilliant owner who doesn't meddle. It might even be the truth.

All indications are Rex said yes to the Tebow trade, but his actions this year say otherwise. If he REALLY wanted Tim, he would have played him. He very clearly did not want that player.
    Again, I'd say thats bad analysis. It's equally possible that:

1. Tanny forced Tebow on Rex.
    2. Rex really wanted Twbow, but Sparano didn't.
    3. Rex really wanted Tebow......till he and Sparano saw Tebow play in practice and in those early games, and said "wtf is his siht, hell no"?
    4. Rex, Tanny and Sparano allw anted Tebow to be Brad Smith....and Tebow just wasn't, and his declining play times and the teams fumbling use of him reflects that declining confidence in him.

"Wood made it happen" assumes that Tebow was some great fiscal boon to the Jets, and that he (Woody) made the move over the will of Tanny, Rex and Co.

You believe that the new GM should have the ability to keep or terminate Rex, yet you say that Woody isn't a meddling owner?
    I'm naive. I'm not convinced that the neew GM, if he made a real solid case, wouldn't STILL be able to fire Rex even now. But in this case, I agree, the decision on Rex should have been made by the new GM.

If the owner is going to make the a GM's most important decision before they even hire GM, doesn't that really say all that needs to be said?
    No. One move does not equal all moves.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I copy/pasted an article from the NY Post. If you're saying the NY Post is desperate, that's your issue with them, not me.

SAR I
    Bollocks... your inflammatory thread title makes it your editorial. No amount of "it has been reported elsewhere" spin will change that.

By the way and on a totally unrelated subject...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

Four out of the top 5 TVs including the top rated one for "best picture" at CNET are using Plasma technology. Only one of the top-5 list is an LED...

Top of the line Plasmas are about half the price of top of the line LCD/LEDs. (or at least the ones on that list are).

There are no Sony's anywhere to be found on that list (oh dear)

Finally and as I predicted, neither technology is what anyone will be arguing about a few years from now because OLED will be here by that time and OLED blows away either display type. So your argument about which technology (plasma or LCD) would last longer is also incorrect. After a slow start Sony appears to have decided to play in the OLED market after all.

All in all I think you went 0 of four on that whole deal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me ask this, if Ross didn't want the Jets job why would he have interviewed in the first place
    Its a great way to get your name out there. Its a great way to leverage your existing employer. People interview for all the time for things they have no intention of taking. See chip and brian kelly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another example of the difference between a SOJF and normal fans; get into a debate/discussion with an SOJF and you will hear talk of curses as to reasons why the team is not winning. They will connect everything to history but it will their glass half empty, version of it.

Rational Jets fans understand that franchises win when they are run correctly from the top down. Hire a GM that understands personnel and the salary cap and let him hire a coach that matches his vision for the team. Stability and support from the owner is essential but he must also understand that he must let the football people run the show and stay away. That is what helps to make franchises consistent contenders.

Curses and sad songs lamenting games lost 35 years ago has no bearing on wins and losses. But the SOJF will tell you that they dont think in those terms....and then talk exactly in those terms when the team loses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Such a rising star yet the Jags, Chargers and Panthers didn't offer him a job either....
    Sadly those organizations have much in common with the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Here is another example of the difference between a SOJF and normal fans; get into a debate/discussion with an SOJF and you will hear talk of curses as to reasons why the team is not winning. They will connect everything to history but it will their glass half empty, version of it.

Rational Jets fans understand that franchises win when they are run correctly from the top down. Hire a GM that understands personnel and the salary cap and let him hire a coach that matches his vision for the team. Stability and support from the owner is essential but he must also understand that he must let the football people run the show and stay away. That is what helps to make franchises consistent contenders.

Curses and sad songs lamenting games lost 35 years ago has no bearing on wins and losses. But the SOJF will tell you that they dont think in those terms....and then talk exactly in those terms when the team loses.
    Rational and fan don't belong in the same sentence. You become a fan and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Bat **** crazy owners have winning streaks and great owners never win. Some teams get Payton Manning and follow it up with Andrew Luck others get Kevin Clemens and follow it up with Mark Sanchez.

**** happens...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet, the Jets are looking for a GM with a HC already in place. The vision for this team will be Rex's in 2013.

Not sound judgement from a team with a long history of questionable decisions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Rational and fan don't belong in the same sentence. You become a fan and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. Bat **** crazy owners have winning streaks and great owners never win. Some teams get Payton Manning and follow it up with Andrew Luck others get Kevin Clemens and follow it up with Mark Sanchez.

**** happens...
    Its not all luck and chance.

and not all fans are irrational.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not all luck and chance.

and not all fans are irrational.
    I think about why I'm a fan of these various teams and none of it is based on rational. At its core my fanaticism is based on my childhood experience of excitement and joy that has stuck with me on a subconscious level throughout my life. The rational side isn't about joy and excitement and has nothing to do with me being a fan, it's merely a reflexive defense mechanism to allow a soft landing.

What does that mean? As a fan I'm hopeful the Jets will pick a great GM who will fix this organization and put an amazingly exciting and competitive team on the field for years to come. As a rational human being I'm pissed off that all signs point to something entirely different.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you.

But I do think Joe Willy made a deal with the devil.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Rooney Rule drops out

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets1958 View Post
    Nice try - But we are smarter than that SAR. You copied it because you liked the way the writer made the Jets look bad.
    I'm sorry, but are any writers making the Jets look good?

If you're saying there's a moratorium on copy/pasting news articles that others might find useful until it's all sunshine and roses you're going to wait quite a long time.

No one is out to "get" the Jets. The New York media has no anti-Jets bias. If anything, they love the Jets because they make news and make stories 24/7, a beat writers dream in the Twitter era.

The media and many Jets fans were right on this one. In retaining Rex Ryan and punting Mike Tannenbaum the Jets have set themselves up as a very unattractive landing pad for a prospective GM. No experienced guy wants to burn his last shot here, no new guy wants to ruin his reputation and enter a complex and difficult situation out of impatience.

You want to be mad at me? Want to be mad at the media? That's your prerogative. The real 'enemy' is Woody Johnson or Rex Ryan. They created this mess and, unbelievably, they're making it worse.

SAR I

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Jets’ pool of candidates for their vacant general manager job shrunk by one yesterday.

Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross withdrew his name from consideration for the job, according to a source.

Ross interviewed for the job on Jan. 7 as part of the initial group of candidates the Jets looked at. The Jets are bringing some candidates back this week for second interviews and hope to have a general manager hired by the end of the week.

Ross, 39, interviewed for GM openings with the Jets, Jaguars, Chargers and Panthers. He is considered a rising star in the league and a future general manager.

A Princeton graduate, he worked with the Eagles and Bills before joining the Giants in May 2007. He has run the Giants draft room for the past five years, leading the evaluation process of players such as Hakeem Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul and David Wilson.

The Jets have interviewed at least 10 candidates to fill the position left open when they fired Mike Tannenbaum.

SAR I
    Ever think of snubbing JI? Just sayin'

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans have a legitimate reason to be upset with the current state of this franchise. But there is a big difference between that and some of the fans here who enjoy wading in SOJF misery. They are the fans that think the team cannot win a particular game because of a game they lost in 1987. They are the fans that are afraid to draft a particular player because the team drafted a player at the same position or from the same school 25 years ago. That is a SOJF fan.
    Attention Poster Critics: You can stop now.

We all go through the mourning process in different ways. We're supposed to be here for each other, not to attack each other. You don't know what motivates us just like we don't know what motivates you.

Talk Jets from a fan perspective. That's what we're here for. Labeling other fans and putting them down is ridiculous. If you want to judge other posters take it to another forum, Ebert.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Withdrew his name = knew he wasn't getting the job so "withdrew" so he wouldn't look like a reject.
    I agree with this.

Since this is a "SAR" thread, it will go on for pages because Scott will make sure of it by sucking you all in.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Bollocks... your inflammatory thread title makes it your editorial. No amount of "it has been reported elsewhere" spin will change that.

By the way and on a totally unrelated subject...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

Four out of the top 5 TVs including the top rated one for "best picture" at CNET are using Plasma technology. Only one of the top-5 list is an LED...

Top of the line Plasmas are about half the price of top of the line LCD/LEDs. (or at least the ones on that list are).

There are no Sony's anywhere to be found on that list (oh dear)

Finally and as I predicted, neither technology is what anyone will be arguing about a few years from now because OLED will be here by that time and OLED blows away either display type. So your argument about which technology (plasma or LCD) would last longer is also incorrect. After a slow start Sony appears to have decided to play in the OLED market after all.

All in all I think you went 0 of four on that whole deal.
    It doesn't matter anymore. HDTV's are like toasters now. Buy whatever technology you like, buy whatever size you like. Once I converted all 8 of my tube TV's to flat panels that was that, haven't done much else but calibrate the settings and focus on the content.

LCD's and LED/LCD's rule the world now, Plasma's are dirt cheap because no one buys them and they need liquidation. CNET and other blogs always root for the niche underdog, nothing new here.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    The Jets are being thorough, something I apreciate. What's the rush?

Figure head type? How does it appear that way?

We know very little about what's really going on other than the Jets are taking their time in an attempt to make quality choice.
    +1. Well said.

Id rather they take their time and make the right choice than rush to hire someone just for the sake of hiring someone.