Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Another GM Candidate Snubs Jets

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ross snubbed the Jets.

He interviewed, his hat was in the ring, he withdrew his name from candidacy. He didn't have to come out and say "The Jets organization is unimpressive, I was apprehensive about the cap, I don't want to be saddled with the Rex Ryan drama, and it's a low-percentage that anyone can turn this around before the twitchy owner slices throats again." That would be career suicide, you just don't publicly embarrass 1 owner if you want to work for one of the other 31 some day.

There are only 32 of these jobs in the world, I believe there's only 1 open at present, he just decided it was best to be an assistant with the Giants at $200K than a VP with the Jets at $600K with a $1M housing allowance.

If that's not a "snub" I don't know what is.

SAR I
    Apparently you don't b/c you're still here.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Having had both within the last 24 months I can tell you that statement is absolutely incorrect.

1080P and 720P can both be broadcast by both providers, but the level of compression that is applied is apples and oranges. I was a huge DirecTV supporter for 14 years but the truth is they can't increase their pipe size. They are physically limited by the technology to only offer a certain amount of bandwidth. So for example the Super Bowl looks brilliant on DirecTV but that is because during that four hour window they eliminate some channels completely and compress the hell out of those that remain so they can beef up the Super Bowl broadcast. Bandwidth allocation and compression are the tools that DirecTV has and often they will cheat stations that are important to me so they can beef up the quality of stations that aren't important.

FiOS has no such issues. So they don't have to compress anything. Additionally, their DVR is off the charts better than anybody else's DVR right down to the operating system and speed, blows away the competition. I don't endorse any particular products here because most of the stuff is a matter of personal choice. But there is no question that FiOS offers a superior visual experience. Try it yourself. You'll see it's like getting a brand-new HDTV.

SAR I
    The only gripe I've heard from friends down here about Fios is their customer service is lacking. Have you experienced anything like that? I really am interested in ditching Cox Cable for Fios.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®

Are you in great pain now? Good. Superman had kryptonite, you have "Snub".

SAR I
    Your new avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I would be shocked if it is years away given the fact that VIZIO are getting into the game. 12-18 months tops before we see something competitive.

My point as I am sure you understand is that any 2-3 year old discussions about the long term durability of Plasma vs LCD over a 10-15 year period are now and were then stupid. The answer in that time frame was and is "neither of the above"
    I was working on a fairly major project last summer that involved the Japanese broadcaster NHK trialling the next generation Super Hi Vis(16 x current HD)...they were looking to roll it out around 2020.....2016 at the very earliest

Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    I'm crushed.

SAR you are well on your way to earning full troll status among the majority on this board. You used to be able to somewhat hide your true purpose, but lately you have become really transparent.
    Did you take a poll? Majority of discerning Jets fans enjoy Sar's read on these issues. Say something intelligent.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDarkmoor View Post
    I'm crushed.

SAR you are well on your way to earning full troll status among the majority on this board. You used to be able to somewhat hide your true purpose, but lately you have become really transparent.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI&noredirect=1

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Money talks
    It won't shut up!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Your new avatar?

Careful. Might scare someone. Use the "S" word sparingly.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The only gripe I've heard from friends down here about Fios is their customer service is lacking. Have you experienced anything like that? I really am interested in ditching Cox Cable for Fios.
    Do it. While Fios customer service isn't the best the picture quality and DVR UI make it all worthwhile. The app is great on the smartphone too, the in-home streaming is great, definitely check it out.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    The Jets’ pool of candidates for their vacant general manager job shrunk by one yesterday.

SAR I
    SAR is a bad period that just won't stop bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Did you take a poll? Majority of discerning Jets fans enjoy Sar's read on these issues. Say something intelligent.
    SAR does't have a 'read' he has an agenda. And thinks the rest of JI is stupid.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    SAR does't have a 'read' he has an agenda. And thinks the rest of JI is stupid.
    Oh, so SAR is Rex Ryan?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Did you take a poll? Majority of discerning Jets fans enjoy Sar's read on these issues.
    Step away from the crack-pipe please.....

I copy/pasted an article from the NY Post. If you're saying the NY Post is desperate, that's your issue with them, not me.

SAR I
    In general, its a good idea to credit the source you are copying from in your original post, instead pretending it is your own writing until the time comes when you need to deflect criticism

All Pro
    Having had both within the last 24 months I can tell you that statement is absolutely incorrect.

1080P and 720P can both be broadcast by both providers, but the level of compression that is applied is apples and oranges. I was a huge DirecTV supporter for 14 years but the truth is they can't increase their pipe size. They are physically limited by the technology to only offer a certain amount of bandwidth. So for example the Super Bowl looks brilliant on DirecTV but that is because during that four hour window they eliminate some channels completely and compress the hell out of those that remain so they can beef up the Super Bowl broadcast. Bandwidth allocation and compression are the tools that DirecTV has and often they will cheat stations that are important to me so they can beef up the quality of stations that aren't important.

FiOS has no such issues. So they don't have to compress anything. Additionally, their DVR is off the charts better than anybody else's DVR right down to the operating system and speed, blows away the competition. I don't endorse any particular products here because most of the stuff is a matter of personal choice. But there is no question that FiOS offers a superior visual experience. Try it yourself. You'll see it's like getting a brand-new HDTV.

SAR I
    I would rate FiOS best overall on a number of characteristics, especially if you buy the triple play. There are some things I hate about the DVR UI from Fios. But I wasnt talking about the DVR, or VOD, or SD.

As an early adopter of all technologies who has had all the providers
    (right now I have CV and D*) I'm fully aware of all the issues, especially with last mile copper cable, bandwidth starving, weather effects etc.

What I'm saying is that the difference between D* HD and FiOS HD is slight, if noticeable at all.

Where your assertion is/may be incorrect:

1) Re: the "un-recompression" of Fios only applies to native MPEG-2 broadcasts, which vary in quality (bit rate, resolution, loss-more about those later) but due to bandwidth considerations are being gradually abandoned for MPEG-4, a newer, superior codec (2003). (Todays Blu-ray discs are encoded in MPEG-4).

Moreover, every Content Provider (e.g. Food Network, Nick, NFL) that broadcasts in MPEG-4 more often than not has their signal recompressed into MPEG-2 an inferior codec by Fios. Right now, Dish and D* support MPEG-4 aka H.264. I know nothing of Dish but D* provides all its HD channels in Full Resolution (1920 x 1080) MPEG-4 (via the newer Ka band birds) Except for 8 Channels - 5 in Spanish language Ultra pack and 3 MLB Premiere Fios does not.

Eventually () Fios will provide MPEG-4 signals 'native", that can be a problem for the older Fios Motorola boxes, but if you have the Cisco box that can receive MPEG-4 signals you are probably OK there. I understand that some of the Motorolas can be upgraged with firmware but the 6000 series can't. What do you have?

Either way there is compression inherent to the MPEG format. MPEG-2 compression = 12 to 18 MB/second that channels transmit, the additional MPEG-4 compression DirecTV uses brings it down to 6 - 12 MB/sec. What doesnt make MPEG-4 lossy quality wise is its codec.

2) Compression concerns aside, service providers don't always excel in receiving or providing average Bit Rates per channel, which is the key to fine viewing. The bitrate provided varies from Channel to Channel for example Food Network on Fios gets an average of 14 where hiking it to 17 or 18 would serve viewers better. CV screws its competitor Fios customers by providing AMC, IFC, Fuse and Sundance channels w/ an average of 9Mbps for each channel, where other broadcasters will use between 12-19Mbps per channel. There isn't much Verizon can do about that situation; it gets the channels at low bitrate. What channels do you care about

D* bitrates can be checked via DirecTV2PC program.

Anecdotally, The MPEG-4 encoding scheme used by D* blurs rather than blocks, making these effects less noticeable.

Differences are also exacerbated by fine tuning on HD equipment that's done, or not done or the age of equipment (the deinterlacer in the TV)
    Tuned as best as I know how, my once leading edge Bravia is good, but lacking compared to my newer Samsungs using the same old D* STB.

Well, no I didnt TBH, but if you want evidence, take a look at the # of posts in this thread, how many are pro SAR?

lol a new low Sar.. just like Shotty wasnt fired right? lol..

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    lol a new low Sar.. just like Shotty wasnt fired right? lol..

You asked for it.

SAR I