Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tweets and News 1/16

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    @Steiny31
    It sounds like the final four are: Kahn, Idzik, Sundquist and Cohen.

Idzik or Khan for me personally.
    Cohen just wont frickin go away will he?

Banned
    @Steiny31

I wouldn't mind Khan at all, but I'd prefer Sundquist or Idzik.

Jets Insider VIP
    @Steiny31

Hopefully, Cohen is truly #4 on the list. I'd be satisfied with either of the first 3.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I think he's the fallback should the others turn them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I wouldn't mind Khan at all, but I'd prefer Sundquist or Idzik.
    Only reason I am not liking Sundquist so much is because I hate the idea of hiring a retread.

I think he's the fallback should the others turn them down.
    Which according to the media would be everybody...including Cohen himself!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    LOL. I get that same feeling. He's like a photo bomber in the GM picture.

Banned
    Only reason I am not liking Sundquist so much is because I hate the idea of hiring a retread.
    I don't have an issue with it, in his case. He did a good job in Denver.

I don't have an issue with it, in his case. He did a good job in Denver.
    He had one great draft, but aside from that it is sort of average. I also feel he may have been Shan's whooping boy.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think he's the fallback in case the roof caves in.
    Fixed.

If it's true that the finalists are Khan, Cohen, and Idzik (and I take everything that's reported with a mountain of salt at this point), then I agree.

Khan is strictly a cap guy. Cohen is strictly a scout.

Idzik's a bit of both.
    So what you are saying is that in the last 7 years of working for the steelers Khan never sat in draft or personnel meetings?

To take that a step further, the GM has to rely on his scouts to do their job, he cant run the entire FO and also handle the detail-oreientated aspect of scouting players. Do we really believe in his time in Pitts he didnt realize how to do that?

Its the GMs job to set a macro-level vision and then ensure that it gets implemented by the people they hire. Whether his background is as a scout or on the business side, a guy like Khan has been part of a good organization for a long time, I find it hard to believe he would be considered as a top NFL exec if he hadnt picked up some nuances of the player personnel side of things.

Veteran
    Saw a good point made about "retreads." Moving from Coordinator to HC or Front Office to GM comes with a totally different set of responsibilities, and the positive thing about hiring someone that has been in that position before is that they will hopefully learn from mistakes they made as they were learning the ins and outs of the position.

Still, I'm personally in favor of Idzik but would be happy with someone like Sundquist who did have some success and has experience in the job.

Steiny's not reliable guys. Remember that. Last year "Tim Tebow won't be a Jet." All season "Ricky Sapp will play and will play A LOT!" a week or so ago "My guy @Brian_Bassett (another hack) better get credit for nailing the Gamble-Jets story!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Fixed.

I think it's safe to say if all others turn them down, then the roof has caved in. Unless Woody is completely in love with Cohen, I think he knows there will be a huge backlash if Cohen is the GM.

I am sick of morons like Cimini labeling Idzik as a ''cap guy''. He has experience in coaching and as a scout. Why do none of these beat writers do the slightest bit of research?

Jets Insider VIP
    He had one great draft, but aside from that it is sort of average. I also feel he may have been Shan's whooping boy.
    Actually, that's very accurate. Outside of 2006, his draft record is pretty unimpressive.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So what you are saying is that in the last 7 years of working for the steelers Khan never sat in draft or personnel meetings?

To take that a step further, the GM has to rely on his scouts to do their job, he cant run the entire FO and also handle the detail-oreientated aspect of scouting players. Do we really believe in his time in Pitts he didnt realize how to do that?

Its the GMs job to set a macro-level vision and then ensure that it gets implemented by the people they hire. Whether his background is as a scout or on the business side, a guy like Khan has been part of a good organization for a long time, I find it hard to believe he would be considered as a top NFL exec if he hadnt picked up some nuances of the player personnel side of things.
    I agree. But his specialty is in contract negotiations/cap management.

I think shying away from cap guys just because Tanny was one is foolish. If his decision-making and thought process are sound, he'll be fine.

Hopefully, Cohen is truly #4 on the list. I'd be satisfied with either of the first 3.
    Agreed. I am hoping that the only reason he is still on the list is that he is an inside guy and they don't want to eliminate a guy that is going to stay in the organization.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Agreed. I am hoping that the only reason he is still on the list is that he is an inside guy and they don't want to eliminate a guy that is going to stay in the organization.
    That may be a first for us.

That may be a first for us.

It wouldn't be fair if I didn't acknowledge the few times we actually agree.