Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Idzik=Flynn

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read the mock drafts what the scouts are saying etc Geno Smith is really the only 1st round caliber qb coming out this year. As you see if you have a good qb your team will always be in the playoff hunt and have a chance to go deep into the playoffs. Teams then overvalue qbs and they are taken early. Look at Christian Ponder and the Vikings or Blaine Gabbert and the Jaguars.

Lookng at this years draft Barkely has fallen but will be overvalued and taken in the 1st round.

Glennon is picking up stream but is inaccurate. Probably a 2nd round pick. Tyler Wilson will prbably slip into the 1st round. None of these guys stand out and yes knowing what we know about Flynn he might go before these guys. That doesn't translate to a trade. A 3rd rounder would probably get it done. 1st and 2nd round picks are traded when for proven players. The jury is still out on Flynn. I wouldn't give a 1st or 2nd up for him.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We have no idea if this guy likes Flynn or not. Like the foolish assumption that Pete Carroll would automatically like to get Sanchez.
    I think odds are that Carroll is still pissed at Sanchez for leaving USC early.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    You're wrong about the cap numbers. Sanchez dead-money is $8 million if we cut him. If we keep him its $12 million and change. If we trade him Seattle would have to take on a $12 million and change backukp. Why would they do that?
    Thanks for the correction. I didn't know. That's crazy amount for a scrub. Is it possible for us to pay some of the money to go against our cap and the other team pay the other half?

For example. If we pay $6 million can that count against us and then the Hawks pay the other $6 million? I'm pretty sure they do that in baseball. Thanks for the help.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I think the odds are that Carroll doesnt want a $12 million dollar backup QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NOBODY wants Sanchez. Nobody!!
    He has less value than Tebow. Why? Because Tebow is cheaper and can do other things to supplement. Sanchez can only stink.
    No team is going to get fleeced by the Jets. Why? Because the Jets have stupid management and evrybody knows it.
    Want Flynn? He'll probably cost the Jets #2. That's #41 overall.
    Then what to do with Sanchez? Set him up for an underage morals charge? LOL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drcgull View Post
    It isn't 2008 anymore-Flynn value has gone up tremendously since then. Player values change-Sanchez was a first rounder,so what

The simple fact that he got that contract last offseason shows what GMs think of him.......
    OK that is stupid. But lets say he was in this draft right now. Your telling me a a 27 year old that played what maybe 3 games in the last 3 years would be worth a 1st rounder? NO. He hasn't proven a thing. It was his job to loose in Seattle and he lost it. That doesn't mean your worth MORE. It is a blind bet on an older guy that doesn't have a great up side even if he does have pro ability. Which I even question that. Sanchez looked great his 1st game that wasn't proof of jack.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I think he'd rather Lienart or Barkley.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're wrong about the cap numbers. Sanchez dead-money is $8 million if we cut him. If we keep him its $12 million and change. If we trade him Seattle would have to take on a $12 million and change backukp. Why would they do that?
    Best case scenario is that Sanchez is a June 1 cut and he will have 12.8 million in dead money, not 8 million.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    NOBODY wants Sanchez. Nobody!!
    He has less value than Tebow. Why? Because Tebow is cheaper and can do other things to supplement. Sanchez can only stink.
    No team is going to get fleeced by the Jets. Why? Because the Jets have stupid management and evrybody knows it.
    Want Flynn? He'll probably cost the Jets #2. That's #41 overall.
    Then what to do with Sanchez? Set him up for an underage morals charge? LOL.
    Correct. Draft an OLB in the first a OT in the second and use the 3rd round draft pick on the best QB available (i hope Nassib). We're stuck with Sanchez for one more year. If who we draft looks ready in the preseason you start him week one. If not you let him sit behind Sanchez and hope for a miracle. Sorry to be the barer of bad news but the 2013 draft and season is all about getting ready for 2014 (the one exception to this is if Geno Smith somehow makes it to pick 3 or 4. If that's the case you explore trading up for him).

I could also be persuaded to cut sanchez, and start McIlroy is our pick isnt ready for primetime. I just don't see the jets eating that much in dead money.
    Last edited by nycuse; 01-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Best case scenario is that Sanchez is a June 1 cut and he will have 12.8 million in dead money, not 8 million.
    you got the numbers backwards, but your point is correct. it would be better to only have 8 million in dead money vice 12.8 million.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    you got the numbers backwards, but your point is correct. it would be better to only have 8 million in dead money vice 12.8 million.
    No. It is 17 million if not a June 1 cut. Where did you come up with 8 million if cut??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW only two teams had interest in Flynn as an URFA. I'm curious how many teams are interested now that he has a large contract+compensation...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    If you read the mock drafts what the scouts are saying etc Geno Smith is really the only 1st round caliber qb coming out this year. As you see if you have a good qb your team will always be in the playoff hunt and have a chance to go deep into the playoffs. Teams then overvalue qbs and they are taken early. Look at Christian Ponder and the Vikings or Blaine Gabbert and the Jaguars.

Lookng at this years draft Barkely has fallen but will be overvalued and taken in the 1st round.

Glennon is picking up stream but is inaccurate. Probably a 2nd round pick. Tyler Wilson will prbably slip into the 1st round. None of these guys stand out and yes knowing what we know about Flynn he might go before these guys. That doesn't translate to a trade. A 3rd rounder would probably get it done. 1st and 2nd round picks are traded when for proven players. The jury is still out on Flynn. I wouldn't give a 1st or 2nd up for him.
    Barkley would be 1st round in any draft so I wouldn't call him over valued. If he was #1 overall maybe but that will not likely be the case. He is a much better prospect the Matt or Mark. Maybe the best ever to come out of USC. He is a way better QB prospect the Tannehille was he would have pressed RG3 for that #2 pick last year. That is many his talent not the non existent USC NT hype all those other guys got.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if Sanchez is moved (doubtful) I could see him being shipped off to Seattle or Redskins for a backup QB swap for Sanchez plus pick, or getting shipped to Arizona for a late round pick. There he might actually salvage his career. I wouldn't say succeed but with Larry, Andre and Floyd it's hard not to be decent unless your Lindley or Hall. Kolb did ok when healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    17mil if cut actually.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. It is 17 million if not a June 1 cut. Where did you come up with 8 million if cut??
    If Sanchez stays on the team, the Jets will owe him a guaranteed base salary of $8.25 million and a workout bonus of $500,000 in 2013. His total cap number of $12.853 million for next season includes a $2.5 million proration from a guaranteed payment made in 2010, along with a $1.6 million proration from the $8 million signing bonus Sanchez received in March.

My understanding of the rules is that the 17 number is 2013 and 2014 combined if we keep him for 2013 and cut him before 2014. Am happy to be corrected if wrong though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Barkley would be 1st round in any draft so I wouldn't call him over valued. If he was #1 overall maybe but that will not likely be the case. He is a much better prospect the Matt or Mark. Maybe the best ever to come out of USC. He is a way better QB prospect the Tannehille was he would have pressed RG3 for that #2 pick last year. That is many his talent not the non existent USC NT hype all those other guys got.
    Whether it's rationale or not, this fan base doesnt have the stomach for another top ten pick on a USC QB (especially one with high INT numbers and who couldn't finish the season due to injury).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez stays on the team, the Jets will owe him a guaranteed base salary of $8.25 million and a workout bonus of $500,000 in 2013. His total cap number of $12.853 million for next season includes a $2.5 million proration from a guaranteed payment made in 2010, along with a $1.6 million proration from the $8 million signing bonus Sanchez received in March.

My understanding of the rules is that the 17 number is 2013 and 2014 combined if we keep him for 2013 and cut him before 2014. Am happy to be corrected if wrong though.
    If you cut mark before June 1 he will have a 17 million dollar cap hit. If you designate him as a June 1 cut, you can split the remaining prorated money between 2013 and 2014, but he would still have 4 million in dead money on the books in 2014.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    FWIW only two teams had interest in Flynn as an URFA. I'm curious how many teams are interested now that he has a large contract+compensation...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Hopefully none of them are the Jets.

Matt Flynn is not good. I don't know what you guys are so carried away about. He is a checkdown artist who had one good game in garbage time 2 years ago playing with GB's receivers. I saw him play in preseason this year on NFL Network he checks it down and rarely even bothers to read downfield.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you cut mark before June 1 he will have a 17 million dollar cap hit. If you designate him as a June 1 cut, you can split the remaining prorated money between 2013 and 2014, but he would still have 4 million in dead money on the books in 2014.
    Either way Sanchez counts $8.25 mil against our cap next year. I'd rather just have him on the roster. Just like you guys I was disgusted by his play this year but I want to give him one more shot with Tone, Hill and Keller all healthy plus Braylon on the roster for the entire season...

... and maybe a real OC for the 1st time in his entire career who helps QB's instead of killing them (paging Fassel).