Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chip Kelly hired as Eagles head coach

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    That has changed last year though with Peters and Herremans out for quite some time if I remember correctly. That line was fairly small and athletic at the end of the season...

Foles is pretty good, I would give him a look...

Didn't know that...thanks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me what the Pats run now is very similar to what Kelly will try in the NFL, even down to the one word for a play concept.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet the Browns feel like they got Antoine Winfield'd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Not sure if his system will apply. Kinda has shades of Spurrier. Should be fun to see, anyway.
    Spurrier was a jerk, this is a coach that still went golfing during TC, saying it is "just football"

Kelly and BB are friends and I am sure he will get some advice on the pro games. In his interviews he does not come off like a mike martz type.Laure is a great owner. I am looking forward to seeing him run the offense.

Why does anyone think he will have patience to put up with Vick and his turnovers. Why would anyone want Vick if you offense is predicated on quick decisions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Eagles are definitely a team that could fit to his uptempo offense in my opinion. They got plenty of speedy playmakers and a lot of versatile offensive weapons - McCoy, Jackson, Celek, Brown, Maclin, that rookie Johnson is one hell of a speedster aswell...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Spurrier was a jerk, this is a coach that still went golfing during TC, saying it is "just football"

Kelly and BB are friends and I am sure he will get some advice on the pro games. In his interviews he does not come off like a mike martz type.Laure is a great owner. I am looking forward to seeing him run the offense.

Why does anyone think he will have patience to put up with Vick and his turnovers. Why would anyone want Vick if you offense is predicated on quick decisions.
    Because the offense is predicated on a QB that can RUN. One of the OPTIONS in the spread option is the QB faking the hand off and running with the ball. If you lose that, you're just running a regular up tempo offense.

Look at the QBs under Chip Kelly, they are all good runners and average passers. He never recruited a true pocket passer like Foles for a reason.

Not saying he likes Vick, but Vick suits his system ten times better than Foles.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    No worries here in Jet Land.....Rex is going to instill his personality into the offense and thus an attack offense like no other will be born.

Or they could have fired Wrecks and hired the architect of the attack offense.....but then Woody couldn't wear his short shorts and jog on the treadmill with Wrecks at training camp. So cheer up....the year 5 Re-Do is in full swing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Because the offense is predicated on a QB that can RUN. One of the OPTIONS in the spread option is the QB faking the hand off and running with the ball. If you lose that, you're just running a regular up tempo offense.

Look at the QBs under Chip Kelly, they are all good runners and average passers. He never recruited a true pocket passer like Foles for a reason.

Not saying he likes Vick, but Vick suits his system ten times better than Foles.
    This, he runs a spread option. Hard to have that without the OPTION part of the equation. He needs a QB who can run to run anything close to what he ran at Oregon. Not saying Vick is a perfect fit for his offense, but he certainly fits it better then Nick Foles.

Now, maybe he changes his offense in the NFL, but then why even hire Chip Kelly if you're gonna neuter his system on Day 1?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Mark my words, Chip Kelly will be back coaching college ball in 2 years. Bad hire for the Eagles
    I agree with this. 1st It stinks of the Reid say one thing that do anther Philly era the fans didn't like. Then it seems to me he only left simply because he wants out of Oregon before the NCAA kills them. He is a rat jumping off a sinking ship. They seem to think he is going to "change the way the pro game is played" Good luck with that this isn't college. He is nothing more then anther crappy O minded coach that keep coming to the NFL and failing big.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Not sure if his system will apply. Kinda has shades of Spurrier. Should be fun to see, anyway.
    His system is currently revolutionizing NFL offenses without him there. His timing is off he should have jumped ranks last year, a lot of his innovative ideas have been stolen already. The system will work the question is will he properly be able to manage adults instead of college kids.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    His system is currently revolutionizing NFL offenses without him there. His timing is off he should have jumped ranks last year, a lot of his innovative ideas have been stolen already. The system will work the question is will he properly be able to manage adults instead of college kids.
    The major flaw in this is most of the teams "stealing" his O are only using about 5% of it and are mainly D oriented teams. Remember the WC worked for one or 2 years also. After time you have to go back to what works in the pros. Os like his are very hard on your talent and not many pro players can take or want to take that kind of beating year in and out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy to see Chip Kelly come to the NFL with his offense. Hope he succeeds.

A QB with a decent arm, that can pass accurately in the pocket, and also dominate a game with running the football...is the type of QB that can bring both excitement and balance to NFL offenses.

Lets face it...you won't get rule changes to bring back balance to NFL offenses. So you need dual threat QBs to make it happen.

Rule changes have brought into existence record breaking passing attacks. So teams that have personnel on the field, that's more focused on defending the pass, are now more vulnerable to the run. This is clearly so...when you have both a RB and QB, that can explode for long runs and TDs.

Last year Cam Newton. This year RGIII, Kaepernick and Wilson are bringing the excitement. Taking advantage of defenses more prepared for the pass then the run. Pretty soon one of these types of dual threat QBs, will be hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

If Brad Smith had an average NFL arm and accuracy...he could've been at least a poor man's version of those I've listed above. The Jets search for an effective NFL QB, in the 2nd - 4th rounds of a draft, takes on new dimensions...when running skills becomes more of a serious factor...as being part of the skill set for a franchise QB.

So I'm wishing you success Chip...make it work.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

The dude did an about face

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post

22 turnovers in ten games fits no system. 10 years ago when vick was 23 maybe, but the 33 yo vick is no way competent enough to put the ball in his hand 90 times a game. **** I rather see Vince Young with him going so fast it will stop him from thinking and getting himself in trouble.

Would love to see him Draft Nick Florence, and give it a go.
    Last edited by patman; 01-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I'll tell you what, I'm glad Nick Foles is graduating," Kelly told the Tucson Citizen after Foles threw for 398 yards and three touchdowns in a game Oregon won 56-31. "I catch myself watching him in awe sometimes. Nick is a hell of a football player. That kid's a warrior. He's as good as anyone in the country."
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...ach-chip-kelly

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think people are getting it. Kelly's offense isn't demanding on the QB at all. He still calls every play from the sideline. It's also a very small playbook.

The basic concept is very simple. By speeding things up, you make the defense more prone to mistakes. The increased pace of play doesn't increase your own mistakes because you practice at an even faster pace.

As the game goes on, the pace wears down the defense, further increasing their odds of screwing up.

It's a very easy offense to play in as long as you're in the physical condition to properly execute it. Vick wouldn't have any problems with Kelly's offense. Nothing they do is complicated, they just do it quickly. So quickly that you run out of breath and your head starts to spin...and no one plays good defense in that state. You stop Oregon's offense by not allowing them to get you into that state. Don't let them stack long drives early in the game and avoid 3 & outs on offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Eagles offensive linemen are going to be doing a lot of running this offseason. You can't run that system with a bunch of fatties up front, they get too tired.

I would think the Eagles would have to keep Vick now.
    Or http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...terrelle-pryor
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-16-2013 at 10:04 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Could be, A Foles for Pryor trade? I would think the Eagles would want more though.

He is going to pretty much just do what the pats do, just for a bigger percentage of the game.

To expect him to implement such a radical system in one year isn't reasonable.

He does not have a stable of 20 yo guys at oline, he does not have a 100 man roster so that he could use 78 players like he did in the Arkansas state game.

His roster 3 years from now will probably have more offensive players than defensive.

One thing about the pro game that he will like are all the tv timeouts so that he can do his mass subs.
    Last edited by patman; 01-17-2013 at 06:03 AM.