Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Phil Jackson, Knicks Close To Finalizing Deal

  1. #1

    Phil Jackson, Knicks Close To Finalizing Deal

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...-deal-end-week

    Phil Jackson, Knicks finalizing deal


    Updated: March 11, 2014, 12:43 PM ET
    By Chris Broussard | ESPN The Magazine


    Phil Jackson and the New York Knicks are expected to finalize a deal that will give the legendary coach control of the club's front office by the end of this week, according to a league source.

    "Everything is pretty much done," the source said. "There are just some little things here and there that need to be worked out, but the Knicks are very confident that this is essentially done."

    An official announcement might not come until next week, the source said.

    There has been speculation that Jackson is using the Knicks to get a top-flight job with another franchise, particularly the Los Angeles Lakers, but the source said the Knicks have no fear of Jackson leaving them at the altar for another team.

    Jackson will take over the Knicks' basketball operations department from president and general manager Steve Mills. Mills, however, will remain an integral part of the organization, according to the source.

    While Jackson will certainly spend plenty of time in New York, it is not clear exactly how much, the source said.

    "I think if he has the wherewithal to understand that these jobs are difficult, that they're frustrating and he's not going to be able to coach the players unless he wants to, I'm sure he could do a great job," Jerry West told The New York Post on Monday night. "Coaching and being an executive are different things. But he has a lot to draw on in terms of experience with players, how to organize teams and how to put them together. The biggest thing to learn is that you're going to need a lot of really good players."

  2. #2
    Like the move. Phil is tired of having people say Pat Riley is better because he actually built dynasties instead of just being given the keys (true). This is Phil's chance at showing the world he is the greatest ever and if he is able to unite Carmelo with say a Roy Hibbert and Rajon Rondo or Ricky Rubio in 2015 and win a championship there will be no disputing it Phil will be #1 over Riley and Auerbach.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Like the move. Phil is tired of having people say Pat Riley is better because he actually built dynasties instead of just being given the keys (true). This is Phil's chance at showing the world he is the greatest ever and if he is able to unite Carmelo with say a Roy Hibbert and Rajon Rondo or Ricky Rubio in 2015 and win a championship there will be no disputing it Phil will be #1 over Riley and Auerbach.
    Phil is about to learn its a little harder without Jordan or Kobe.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Phil is about to learn its a little harder without Jordan or Kobe.
    True but I think if Carmelo and Phil get together and play their cards right they can pull off a coup. If Carmelo a) plays out his current contract or b) resigns with the Knicks but puts in an opt-out after next season - the Knicks could be in a similar situation in 2015 to what the Heat had with Wade in '10.

    B) is alot more likely since Melo is going to opt out this yea and try to get the security of another long-term deal. However, if he puts in another player option for next summer the Knicks will be $40 mil under the cap, can sign 2x max free agents and still use their Bird rights to resign Melo and go over the cap. That's essentially the same thing that Miami did with Wade in '10.

    Ofcourse nobody is going to talk about this but then again nobody talked about Miami in 2010 until it actually happened.

  5. #5
    Obviously Phil doesn't have the front office experience, so don't know exactly what to expect. But, someone other than douchebag Dolan having complete control of basketball operations sounds great to me, sign me up.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Obviously Phil doesn't have the front office experience, so don't know exactly what to expect. But, someone other than douchebag Dolan having complete control of basketball operations sounds great to me, sign me up.
    +1

    Dolan wants to win - I give him credit for that. But he is like a magnet for terrible basketball executives (Scott Layden, Isiah, Steve Mills). At least Phil is outside his circle.

  7. #7
    Knicks are actually in the 8th seed with 6 games left in the season. Who'd a thunk?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us