Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: ***Official 2013 New York Rangers Thread***

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt robinson 17 View Post
    Torts fired
    He won a Stanley Cup, ya know.

All League
    I'm not the biggest Rangers fan, but I think Torts should have at least had one more year. From an outsider view, IMO, the Rangers overachieved a bit last year, which led to high expectations this year. This year was a bit screwy with the short season. Rangers had a few injuries down the stretch, and still made it to the second round. I don't think one year that didn't quite meet expectations is reason to shltcan the coach. They were on the up for the past three seasons, took a small step back this year. No big deal.

Do you guys think if Torts was a bit more "media friendly", he would still be the coach?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I'm not the biggest Rangers fan, but I think Torts should have at least had one more year. From an outsider view, IMO, the Rangers overachieved a bit last year, which led to high expectations this year. This year was a bit screwy with the short season. Rangers had a few injuries down the stretch, and still made it to the second round. I don't think one year that didn't quite meet expectations is reason to shltcan the coach. They were on the up for the past three seasons, took a small step back this year. No big deal.

Do you guys think if Torts was a bit more "media friendly", he would still be the coach?
    I think his own players submarined him. Specifically his majesty King Henrik.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post

Agree that it appears to be more likely that the lack of support from Lundqvist was more of a factor than Tortorella's media relationship.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think his own players submarined him. Specifically his majesty King Henrik.
    +1.

Henrik's noncommital answers about signing an extension got Torts canned. They cannot afford to lose him and will appease him at every turn.

The Henrik contract should be interesting... @ $10MM per year for the NHL max, there will be no $$ left to get a 3rd and 4th line that is decent, which is how the Devils last year and Bruins this year beat them....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    +1.

Henrik's noncommital answers about signing an extension got Torts canned. They cannot afford to lose him and will appease him at every turn.
    I'm assuming that players have exit interviews as well and he was likely lambasted by Henrik and others. Wouldn't be surprised if Sather, et al were already souring on him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    The Henrik contract should be interesting... @ $10MM per year for the NHL max, there will be no $$ left to get a 3rd and 4th line that is decent, which is how the Devils last year and Bruins this year beat them....
    That's a tough position to be in. On one hand, having the best player at his position is a great thing, but eventually you have to pay the Piper. Not unlike what the Jets had to do with Mangold, D'Brick and Revis. Great to have those guys, but you need to account for the cheddar at some point.

Henrik has them over a barrel - there is no way they can let him go. They basically will hand him a blank check. Here is $80m....thank you very much.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Henrik has them over a barrel - there is no way they can let him go. They basically will hand him a blank check. Here is $80m....thank you very much.
    Quality goaltending and Quarterbacking is difficult to find Cup quality even harder. You are right, especially if there is no one in the pipeline.

Veteran
    Cally played the last 51 games with a torn shoulder labrum, he's out 4-5 monthes

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Cally played the last 51 games with a torn shoulder labrum, he's out 4-5 monthes
    Not surprised coming from him (in that he was playing with a torn labrum for months). I'm no Ranger fan, but you can't help but respect a guy like Callahan - just a real gamer. Casey Cizikas is one of my favorite Islanders - he's a Callahan-esque player. Can't have enough of those guys.

Veteran
    Not surprised coming from him (in that he was playing with a torn labrum for months). I'm no Ranger fan, but you can't help but respect a guy like Callahan - just a real gamer. Casey Cizikas is one of my favorite Islanders - he's a Callahan-esque player. Can't have enough of those guys.
    I agree crash, I respect the guys with the big hearts, they come to play every night

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Nice job by the Rangers locking up McDonough long term. They still have a lot of work to do with their RFAs though - Steppan, Haglin and some others, right?

Veteran
    Nice job by the Rangers locking up McDonough long term. They still have a lot of work to do with their RFAs though - Steppan, Haglin and some others, right?
    Hags 2yrs./4.5 mil

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Hags 2yrs./4.5 mil
    Any cheddar left for Steppan? He may not be too happy with the standard bridge contract the Rangers usually give out.

Would love to see the Isles offer sheet him.

Veteran
    Any cheddar left for Steppan? He may not be too happy with the standard bridge contract the Rangers usually give out.

Would love to see the Isles offer sheet him.
    Steps will get 3.5/4 mil per...nice move signing Hamonic, that kid has a great future ahead of him, like the way he kept burying Malkin

Jets Insider VIP
    Hags 2yrs./4.5 mil
    Falk signed also. Adds some depth and bulk on the defense

Oops...sorry I got his name wrong..
    Last edited by sg3; 07-11-2013 at 12:51 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Tuck signed also. Adds some depth and bulk on the defense
    Saw a few youtubes of Justin Falk, he hits like a cement mixer, 6'5" and can drop the gloves if needed, a better option at 7th dman than Emminger, younger, bigger, stronger, and does have good nhl experience

Veteran
    Interesting schedule 9 straight road games to start the season, 1st 4 on the coast, 13 back to backs, 11 out of 12 starting Nov30 at home, 2 extra home games at Yankee Stadium

Jets Insider VIP
    My son said they were trying to get Dominic Moore last week, but his wife passed away, he said he wants to return to NY, but unsure about playing this season...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I think he's the best FA option out there right now to provide depth at center, take faceoffs and PK.

I can't even imagine losing my wife, especially at such a young age. Everyone handles grief differently. It's possible that getting back on the ice and competing helps him take his mind off his loss, at least for the moment. But of course, it's easy for me to say. I've never lost a spouse in that manner. I really feel bad for the guy.
    Dominic is a well respected player around the league, sort of Cally-ish, tenascious forechecker, penalty killer and big game goal scorer, I'd take him in a second...Jordy what about PK Subban?
    Finally got our man huh?