Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Idzik: Enlighten Me

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

John Idzik: Enlighten Me

Why is this guy the favorite of many of you?

Let's hear some reasoning and examples why this guy is number 1 on your list of remaining candidates.

Convince me. I am curious. And if he is not your #1 candidate, tell me who is an why. Trying to decipher all the BS and figure out who should be our next GM here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks, personality, fashion sense

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pull up his bio on the Seahawks website or search for threads started last week titled with his name

He's done scouting, personnel, coaching and cap

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    looks, personality, fashion sense
    He's fierce!

But really, most here seem to like that he's smart, has a personnel background as well as a cap background, and (iirc) a bit of a coaching background. A well-rounded guy, basically.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moreso than Khan because Khan is more of just a numbers guy? Makes sense.

What about Sundquist?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    By all accounts Idzik is a young, smart guy (math degree from Dartmouth).

He has worked on a SB champion (Bucs) and SB participant (Arizona).

He is now basically second in command of a seattle team that has been built through the draft, dealt with having a QB problem (tavaris jackson), and is now a strong, young team.

Personally what is most intriguing to me personally about Idzik is that he has seen first hand how good QB play can turn around a team. He was part of an exec group that paid for matt flynn, but still wasnt afraid to draft and then start wilson. Furthermore, he saw how important a coaching staff CHANGING to accomodate a players strengths is. Bevell completely revamped what they were going to do with flynn to play to wilsons strengths. That is vital in whoemver we hire as OC.

Lastly, he has zero NY, Rex, Woody, etc ties.

He has seen how to build SB contenders and what it takes to win in todays NFL....2 things we desperately need.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik or Sundquist I would be very happy with.

I only like Khan if it's absolutely guaranteed that he's bringing some of those Pittsburgh scouts with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    He is very smart, has great taste in beer, He knows how to evaluate talent and is smart with the cap.

He comes from a company that had its Head Coach in place before bringing in the current GM in John Schneider. He has seen that scenaro work, and would be able to work with the Current coach Tatts and all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

He is now basically second in command of a seattle team that has been built through the draft, dealt with having a QB problem (tavaris jackson), and is now a strong, young team.

Personally what is most intriguing to me personally about Idzik is that he has seen first hand how good QB play can turn around a team. He was part of an exec group that paid for matt flynn, but still wasnt afraid to draft and then start wilson. Furthermore, he saw how important a coaching staff CHANGING to accomodate a players strengths is. Bevell completely revamped what they were going to do with flynn to play to wilsons strengths. That is vital in whoemver we hire as OC.

He has seen how to build SB contenders and what it takes to win in todays NFL....2 things we desperately need.

Perfect explanation. No wise cracks, no backhanded comments. Just the facts. I like what I hear about this guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

does sound impressive. thanks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that his dad was an OC here in the 1970s isn't a good enough reason? I kid... I kid.

Personally, I don't have the benefit of being in the room to interview these guys but for Idzik I go on these points:

• 1 - He was with Tampa Bay for 11 years in multiple positions starting in 1993 and helped build a Superbowl winner.
    • 2 - He was with Arizona and helped build a very solid team and NFC champ. If not for Santonio Holmes' catch he could've had a second Lombardi on his resume.
    • 3 - Seattle looks to be in great shape and has been very successful in rebuilding a pretty crappy roster.

So on the whole, he's been in 3 spots where the team has either been a perennial loser (TB and AZ) or basically needed a rebuild (SEA)... in all 3 instances his organization has been successful.

I like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said. I hope he is the choice. I really like what the Seahawks have done to upgrade their personnel the past few seasons. If he had a hand in that, to me that's a strong credential. Plus as you point out he saw the impact a good young QB like Wilson could make and he would probably show next to no allegience to a failed player like Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    As stated before, one of the best places to go is the team's bio page.

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.
    Plus he was one of the decision-makers that got Marshawn Lynch for a fourth-round pick in 2011 and a fifth-round pick in 2012.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    As stated before, one of the best places to go is the team's bio page.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzik’s father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFL’s few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzik’s Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Idzik and his wife, Carol (a University of Georgia graduate), have two sons, Bryant (a senior and captain of the Formula SAE racing team at Western Washington University) and Bradley (a sophomore wide receiver at Wake Forest University), and a daughter, Holly (a senior at Mercer Island High School).
    Make the announcement Woody...let's start the mountainous task of rebuilding this team into a respectable contender.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's do it.

Now that we know the guy and support him, Woody comes in and ****s us all in the ass and hires ****ing some jerkoff from our current front office.

Watch as it all happens tomorrow. Lucky for us, we all have a front row seat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Well stated and I agree. Idzik is now my favorite and I hope he gets the job!

ABC= Anyone But Cohen

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik would also be another guy I would love to see the Jets hire. all 3 teams he has came to were loser organizations and he has left them as contenders to me that shows he knows what he is doing and has the experience to get the Jets out of the condition they are.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me why Schneider got the job over him last year. This could be a Schotty thing where he is gone anyway if no one takes him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyjet View Post
    Tell me why Schneider got the job over him last year. This could be a Scotty thing where he is gone anyway if no one takes him.
    Idzik was never a contender for the job I believe. It was down to Schneider and Floyd Reese I believe.