Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Khan or Idzik

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    While we wait to hear whether John Idzik will be announced as general manager of the Jets today, it might be worth considering what Seahawks fans think of him. Below is what SB Nation's Seahawks blog, Field Gulls, wrote yesterday.

In addition to all this coaching carousel talk, Seattle stands to lose a central figure in their front office, VP of Football Operations, John Idzik, as he interviews with the Jets for their vacant GM position for a 2nd time today. Idzik, from what I understand, has been an integral piece of Seattle's rebuild and the man behind the salary cap management over the past few years. The Seahawks have been tight with their money, but this frugality has led Seattle to become one of the best-managed franchises in the NFL over the past two or three years, a stark contrast to teams like the Raiders and Ravens, for instance, who face the possibility of dropping key players because of cap overages.

According to the Seahawks' website, Idzik "oversees player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations."

Albert Breer also pointed out yesterday that the final sentence up there is true, Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late. This dual ability - a business management acumen plus an ability to evaluate talent - is what makes him so valuable to the Seahawks and attractive to the Jets. I don't know if it's warranted, but I'm almost more worried about losing Idzik than I am about losing Bevell or Bradley.
    Nice find - thanks!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    While we wait to hear whether John Idzik will be announced as general manager of the Jets today, it might be worth considering what Seahawks fans think of him. Below is what SB Nation's Seahawks blog, Field Gulls, wrote yesterday.

In addition to all this coaching carousel talk, Seattle stands to lose a central figure in their front office, VP of Football Operations, John Idzik, as he interviews with the Jets for their vacant GM position for a 2nd time today. Idzik, from what I understand, has been an integral piece of Seattle's rebuild and the man behind the salary cap management over the past few years. The Seahawks have been tight with their money, but this frugality has led Seattle to become one of the best-managed franchises in the NFL over the past two or three years, a stark contrast to teams like the Raiders and Ravens, for instance, who face the possibility of dropping key players because of cap overages.

According to the Seahawks' website, Idzik "oversees player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations."

Albert Breer also pointed out yesterday that the final sentence up there is true, Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late. This dual ability - a business management acumen plus an ability to evaluate talent - is what makes him so valuable to the Seahawks and attractive to the Jets. I don't know if it's warranted, but I'm almost more worried about losing Idzik than I am about losing Bevell or Bradley.
    Nice find, maybe the process is working after all. All in with Idzik!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty hyped up on Idzik, I'd love to see him get the job. I think he is my #1 right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik has Not resigned from the Seahawks yet. Im not sure if it really means anything or if Woody cant make up his mind.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    Idzik has Not resigned from the Seahawks yet. Im not sure if it really means anything or if Woody cant make up his mind.
    WHATTTTT?

You don't resign until after you are announced as GM of the Jets you moron. Are you serious or joking? I can't tell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik.

We need a personnel guy, specifically one who can draft on the offensive side of the ball with success.

Khan comes from a great organization, but he has no player personnel or scouting experience.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    WHATTTTT?

You don't resign until after you are announced as GM of the Jets you moron. Are you serious or joking? I can't tell.
    Most often the team that he is leaving sends a email to management that the person has accepted a position with another team. This behind the scenes happens before it goes public.

Do you really think he is going to tell Paul Allen after it goes public? The information is shared between the 2 teams, and their front office staff before it goes public. Thats standard procedure.
    Last edited by jetman67; 01-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.