Thread: Good article about Erhardt-Perkins system

Good article about Erhardt-Perkins system

Thought this was a good article if you're not familiar with the system compared to some others. The Jets used this in 2012 and it's been the Patriots staple system during their run...

(yes, Patriots-centric but interesting for the fan )

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...brady-patriots

Good article but I stopped at Rich Kotite.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Jets need to get with the program and emulate the Pats offense but with Jets design. I'd like to see the Jets Offense run it with efficiency, no huddle etc instead of clutzing around making a lot of mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The Jets need to get with the program and emulate the Pats offense but with Jets design. I'd like to see the Jets Offense run it with efficiency, no huddle etc instead of clutzing around making a lot of mistakes.
    I think that's part of the point. It's the flexibility of system that lends itself to progressive uses. It's not so much a philosophy of attack such as the West Coast. It's an organizational system that lends itself to a variety of designs.
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 01-16-2013 at 08:12 PM.

All League
    Yeah I remember we were going to run an up tempo hurry up offense.

Problem was by the time the play call got to Sanchez, the play clock was running out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Thought this was a good article if you're not familiar with the system compared to some others. The Jets used this in 2012 and it's been the Patriots staple system during their run...

That's not quite true.

Confusing, because it sounds a lot like the Erhardt Offense, but in 2012, the Jets actually ran the Earhart Offense (as in Amelia).

They're actually quite different

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    That's not quite true.

Confusing, because it sounds a lot like the Erhardt Offense, but in 2012, the Jets actually ran the Earhart Offense (as in Amelia).

LOL!......good stuff!

That's not quite true.

Yeap, crash after take-off!

the problems on offense seem to be a lack of knowledge about how the play is actually supposed to work. it took way too much time to get the play called and then executed. is sanchez the biggest issue here? right now, probably. how many times was there absolutely no concern for the clock running down or the slowness of plays in two minute drills etc. it seems like sanchez doesn't know how to process plays in a timely fashion. this is troubling because it's almost impossible to teach people to think faster.

Great article.

We are so far away from this it isnt even funny.

That being said, the key is continuity....in addition to finding our QB and OC we need to be grooming assistants to fill roles in case coaches leave here. That is what he Pats have been abele to do and why they have been able to keep the same system/terminology for so long.

Maybe Sparano tried to install this system with the Jets this year but he was obviously a very poor teacher. Also with a different group of receivers almost every game all learning this for the first time I can see why it wasn't successful.
    If Sanchez got to the line quicker he might be able to read the defense better and determine who might be the best receiver to throw it too. If Sanchez was also learning this for the first time - which I think he was - then there was almost no way this system was gonna work.

I like the system because the QB needs brains and repetition rather than athletic ability. Sanchez might not have the brains for this system or he simply might need more time in it. But the right QB in this system can last 15 years. RG3 will never last 7 years the way he plays. Most of these new read option QBs won't be in the league long because of the punishment they will take. Greg McElroy might be a better option for the Jets if they continue to try and run this system.

That's not quite true.

Good stuff. Unfortunately, we Found Sanchez.

Rookie
    Loved the article, thanks for posting. Problem is now I'm more depressed about our team. With no QB and no OC how are we ever going to get up to speed?

I'm hoping for Khan for GM, somone from an elite organization who can built from the draft out rather than the FA do it now approach. I didn't think so before but after reading this article I'm comming to believe we might have to go into rebuild mode.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Yeah I remember we were going to run an up tempo hurry up offense.

Problem was by the time the play call got to Sanchez, the play clock was running out.
    Look, you can use any system you want.

If Forest Gump with Sunglasses is calling the plays, and Corky Romano is your quarterback, they aren't going to work.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

Great article by the way. An actual football-themed article. Wish there were more of these, and less "I am the next GM of the Jets" articles.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Look, you can use any system you want.

If Forest Gump with Sunglasses is calling the plays, and Corky Romano is your quarterback, they aren't going to work.
    Actually Forest Gump was pretty good when it came to football.

As good a coach as BB is, he seems to owe almost all of his success to his predecessors in New England and, of course, Tom Brady.

While Perkins and Earhardt can take credit for the offensive schemes, the 3-4 two gap D the Pats run (don't say it's a 4-3, Ninkovich is labeled DE but has the assignments of an OLB), is essentially the same D Chuck Fairbanks brought to New England (and the NFL) from the Oklahoma Sooners.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 01-17-2013 at 03:17 PM.