Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Kiper Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    He doesn't even have Geno Smith in the 1st round? While I'm not as high on him as some, I can't see every team passing on him...
    I can't see EVERY team passing on QB 1st round period. I seriously don't get the hate for this class. Geno doesn't look bad at all. He would have gone before Tannehille in the same draft. Barkley IMO is solid. Wilson, Glennon, even Nassib are better then Ponder, Gabbert, and Sanchez was.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    WTF is it with all these “experts” predicting that the Jets are going to pick a player on defence in the 1st round?
    I know that the QB and RB crop sucks. But, there seems to be a couple of can’t miss OL that could/should in the top 10. I’d rather we get someone who can replace Moore or Slausen.
    Gs don't go top ten unless your GM is an idiot.

I would love mingo.. He seems awesome, has a great build at 6'5, has a body that can put on muscle, extremely athletic and has great flexibility

FYI...

January 16, 2013, 6:00 am3 Comments
    For the Jets’ Offense, Skipping Straight to 2014
    By TONI MONKOVIC, NY Times NFL blog

Chase Stuart analyzed the Jets’ defense on Monday.

He tackled the Jets’ offense on Tuesday and found it as lifeless as opponents did in 2012. Or as he put it, “If you didn’t feel bad for Tony Sparano before this post, I can guarantee you will by the end of it.”

If you’re a Jets fan who’s a glutton for punishment, you can read the whole thing, including “a mid-article detour on the disaster that is Santonio Holmes,” at Stuart’s site, FootballPerspective.com. Here’s an extended excerpt, as provided by Stuart:

Here’s a pretty scary skeleton of what your 2014 Jets offense may look like.

QB:
    RB1:
    RB2: Bilal Powell
    WR1:
    WR2: Stephen Hill
    WR3: Jeremy Kerley
    TE1:
    TE2:
    LT: D’Brickashaw Ferguson
    LG:
    C: Nick Mangold
    RG:
    RT: (maybe) Austin Howard

Austin Howard and Bilal Powell are role players, leaving only four players to build around. If I were the Jets’ general manager, my No. 1 goal on offense would be to try to work toward 2014 — 2013 is a lost cause, so the two-year rebuilding project should begin now.

Santonio Holmes is not going to be on the team in 2014, so why (a) take valuable reps away from Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley and (b) allow Hill and Kerley to be in the same locker room as him? Tight end Dustin Keller might be on the team next season, and as a transition player, that makes some sense, but I would say it is unlikely he’s on the team in 2014, and it’s extremely unlikely he’s a Jet in 2015.

The Jets have too many holes to fill (QB, RB, WR, TE, G, NT, OLB, ILB, S) to worry about right tackle, so they need to cross their fingers and hope Howard can man that position at his reduced salary. The guard spot looks like the real danger, and expect the Jets to spend at least two draft picks in the next two years to fix it. The other issue is at wide receiver, where the hope is that Hill becomes a WR1 but the reality is that the team needs to have a contingency plan.

There is no point in ignoring the elephant in the room: Mark Sanchez is a below-average starting quarterback and not the answer for the Jets. After committing 26 turnovers in 2011, Sanchez laughed in the face of regression to the mean and matched that number on fewer plays in 2012. Sanchez also turned the ball over 23 times in his rookie season, leaving 2010 (14 turnovers) as his only season with fewer than 20 turnovers. To be fair, every hand that touched the 2012 Jets passing game deserved criticism, as Sanchez received almost no support from his teammates or coaches.

So the Jets will have to go outside the roster to find their 2013 starting quarterback. The Jets don’t have the cap space for a Michael Vick or Alex Smith (blessing in disguise, in my view), so a cheap veteran (Jason Campbell, Matt Moore, Kyle Orton, for example) may be acquired. That will be up to the new general manager, who will be left with two options.

Option one would be to draft a quarterback this year and let him go through growing pains, the Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden did. This comes down to prospect evaluation. It’s hard to say what the team thinks of Geno Smith (West Virginia), Matt Barkley (U.S.C.), Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse), Mike Glennon (North Carolina State), or any of the other quarterbacks in the draft. The other option would be to grab a veteran place-holder for 2013 (or, gasp, play Mark Sanchez or Greg McElroy) and hope the team is in position to draft a franchise quarterback in 2014.

Either way, 2013 looks to be a long year for Rex Ryan and the Jets. Good luck to whomever the Jets ultimately hire as offensive coordinator, because he is going to need it.

End note Among Jets fans, there is some argument that Sanchez used to be good but now is struggling; that’s not really the case. In 2010, the year the Jets went 11-5 and made it to the A.F.C. championship game, Sanchez ranked 29th out of 32 quarterbacks in Net Yards per Attempt and 24th in Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt. He tied Matt Ryan for the N.F.L. lead with six game-winning drives that season — no asterisk there, this actually happened — but that only served to obfuscate the fact that Sanchez struggled on a play-by-play basis. Sanchez actually peaked in NY/A as a rookie in 2009, finishing 21st, although he ranked 27th in ANY/A.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    I would love mingo.. He seems awesome, has a great build at 6'5, has a body that can put on muscle, extremely athletic and has great flexibility
    The mingo ate my baby.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    WTF is it with all these “experts” predicting that the Jets are going to pick a player on defence in the 1st round?
    I know that the QB and RB crop sucks. But, there seems to be a couple of can’t miss OL that could/should in the top 10. I’d rather we get someone who can replace Moore or Slausen.
    Yes with chance warmack.

I really just want to see the Jets stockpile talent. Take the best player available, whether it be on offense or defense. The Jets need to start building depth if they want to have success in the long term.

I seen the highlights of this guy Mingo.....and i came away thinking two words: Aaron Maybin.....NO!!!

Chance Warmack or bust!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    With the 9th overall pick, Kiper has us taking Lennay Kekua.
    We've picked that one several times. Look great in pics, on the phone, but don't show up.