Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey SAR...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I think you're mixing your terms and/or getting caught up in a Rex Ryanism.

A stroong rushing game (i.e. "ground and pound") can definitely score points.

It simply has to be done right, and have the talent.

Ours wasn't.

And we don't.

Yet.

What Ryan's G&P was primarily designed to do was cover Sanchez's obvious shortcoming. The more we put on Sanchez, the worse our O became.
    I think that's the problem, ground and pound is a Rex Ryanism - it otherwise doesn't exist in today's football. A run heavy offense in today's game is still less than 50%. No one else talks about G&P except for Rex.

And I think we are agreeing here - Ryan's G&P was designed as a band aid - it started out to protect a rookie QB, they tried to move away from it and realize they couldn't because of their limitations at QB.

I think the only other team you can put a label of G&P on is the Vikings and that's on account of 1. Having the best RB you and I have ever seen and 2. Having a ****ty QB. Other teams with good running games aren't G&P - they simply have good running games in the context of their entire offense.

Reverse SAR-Callout-That-Actually-A-Ryan-Supporter-Callout-Thread.

1. Top 10 Defenses every year since he's been here. His side of the ball, even this year, is not why we lose. with that said, he needs to do more on the other sides of the ball too.
    He's the HC of the NYJ. He doesn't have a "side of the ball". I would love to have Rex as my defensive coordinator, and when Woody finally gets the sack to fire him, he will be out of work for less than an hour. If only he would take a demotion.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    He's the HC of the NYJ. He doesn't have a "side of the ball". I would love to have Rex as my defensive coordinator, and when Woody finally gets the sack to fire him, he will be out of work for less than an hour. If only he would take a demotion.
    Sorry but every head coach has a side of the ball, and every great coordinator gets signed away as a HC somewhere. All we need is a good OC and now we have one, so now Rex can stop messing with the offense, and a good GM so he can stop messing with the roster, and media relations policy. Maybe he can actually learn from Marty and gain more of a well rounded approach, but how was he supposed to know offense when he was a DC? The only person he had to learn from was Shotty. Bellicheck learned offense, but it took him a good 7 years or so as a head coach to do it, and then his defenses started to suffer. The Jets have had a pretty damn good record with no offense to speak of, and with Pettine gone, and Marty running the offense he can get back to making the defense great again. BTW Woody needs to put his sack away and let Idzik run the team now.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Good post....it's truly idiotic to want to Fire Ryan after a 6-10 year and one losign season out of 4 with a team thats just not very talented. We now have a GM and a more than competent OC......I am excited at where we are. I can already tell that this team will look vastly different in 2013.

Reverse SAR-Callout-That-Actually-A-Ryan-Supporter-Callout-Thread.

Epic.

Ten reasons?

1. Top 10 Defenses every year since he's been here. His side of the ball, even this year, is not why we lose. with that said, he needs to do more on the other sides of the ball too.

2. I, for one, like the Defense Wins Championships, Ground Game-based Style. I want to see Rex be more involved on O 9at least making people accountable), but really I like winning with D and running. I'm old school.

3. I think the players do play well for him, despite claims of "lost the team" Ryan himself has made. May be too much of aplayers coach, and clearly loves some players too much, but I think job on the lne, he can fix that.

4. I think he's passionate about New York and the Jets, and truly cares about winning here. Of course, so would anyone we'd hope....but thats not always the case (i.e. see Mangini).

5. I'd like to see what a Ryan-led Team can do without Shotty/Sparano on O-Co.

6. I'd like to see what a Rayan-led Team can do without Mark (Worst QB Of Past 4 Years" at QB.

7. I think he's done well developing younger talent, especially on D, and we're young in alot of places. The process is only partially complete.

8. One losing year in four is not enough for me to fire (a second, in a row, tho, and he's a canned ham).

9. Revis back, Holmes back, hopefully Sanchez/Tebow gone, D looks good going forward (few holes to fill), I want to see Ryan again with that.

10. Who is a better option that is available/was available and was a realistic choice? If I heard a good enough name, I could be convinced to go with someone else.

All due respect to all of the other people that post messages on this website, SAR I is right and the most informed and logical. Ryan's situation is a lost cause and much of it is his own doing. The Jets will compete for the #1 draft pick in 2014 - hopefully there is a QB worth taking in that draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's a Wrecks issue re Sanchez. He is the HC and tells everyone That Sanchez gives him the best chance to win. Yet he gives other no other QBs time to prove him wrong. He is set in his ways and it is hurting the team.

On vacation he had a vision that his offense sucked for four years. Who was his QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Jets!

[QUOTE=SAR I;4783134]We go back a long ways, but if you're going to continue to attack me personally please don't respond to this.

I know all the facts, I know the reasons why Rex Ryan had success with a veteran team in 2009 and 2010 and why he deserved his job on opening day 2011. That's what you're recapping. Thank you, got it, knew all those things three seasons ago. That's not what the issue is now.

We're entering 2013 with a rebuilding squad, new coaching staff, new GM, new everything. So what makes Rex Ryan the choice for a different job like this? And don't say "Because in 2009 he....." because it's not 2009 anymore.

So you are implying there is a shelf life on what Rex has done for the NYJ? Ok, I got it.

So to you, it is completely about "What have you done for me lately or in this case, this very SECOND". Frankly, I find that to be ridiculous.

First of all, the shelf life on Rex's accomplishments have not come and gone. Herm Edwards lasted in NY for 5 years with much success to focus on.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    It's a Wrecks issue re Sanchez. He is the HC and tells everyone That Sanchez gives him the best chance to win. Yet he gives other no other QBs time to prove him wrong. He is set in his ways and it is hurting the team.

On vacation he had a vision that his offense sucked for four years. Who was his QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Jets!
    Which other QB? Tebow or McElroy?

Too funny, people dream that those two useless QB's can't be as bad as Sanchez. They can be and are. That you dont accept it doesn't mean someone who has proven he can coach and lead a team should be fired. This tired argument that is based on someone has to go theory is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Which other QB? Tebow or McElroy?

Too funny, people dream that those two useless QB's can't be as bad as Sanchez. They can be and are. That you dont accept it doesn't mean someone who has proven he can coach and lead a team should be fired. This tired argument that is based on someone has to go theory is silly.
    EXACTLY. I was calling Rex's devotion to Sanchez an "illogical loyalty", I was wrong because, as much as I HATE to say it, Sanchez was the best QB on the team, unfortunately.

So Rex should not be blamed for Sanchez's failures IMO. He was given every supporting player he could ever want or need in his first two seasons. Then, when the time was right, he was expected (and for good reason) to do more with less.

Sanchez fell on his face. Even having been given a mulligan with Schotty, he was given another chance. This, only to have the very same disastrous results.

Then, to top it all off, Rex was right. Sanchez WAS the best QB on the team in 2012. That is not Rex's fault. EVERY HC, at one time or another, has drafted a very highly touted player with a high pick only to find out the guy is simply not capable of being an NFL player. That is what happened with Mark Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Rex is certainly no Bill Belichick....yup, you sure got me there. I hope the Pats don't fire Rex's inferior.
    lol

Let's be real for a second. Put Brady in green and let the Pats start Sanchez at QB.....Rex would win 9 out of 10 times.

Somehow the Jets have beaten Belichick and the Pats 3 times in 4 years (with Brady playing in all 3 games). I'm not saying Rex is great, or even very good at this point, but the guy can coach and can win. Going to 2 AFC Championships is more than luck.