Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Jets could offer Idzik the GM job tonight

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    "With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the teamís compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the clubís primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings."

He's a god damn operations manager, not a player personnel guy.

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I
    **** this clown.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings."

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I
    Funny how you quote directly from his bio but fail to post the next paragraph...

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings."

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I
    Read about other jobs he has held in the past with other teams. The man is well rounded. If he is hired how about we give the guy a chance to prove himself before we try to act like comedians and dump on him? Thank you!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I
    Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001.

You may send the deed to me because I just took ownership of you. Co-ownership with Jordy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik has dealt with player personnel a bunch in the past... As Woody and REx have always said, the GM has had and will have final say. All coaches and GMs work together in some regard, but that is the fact.

I'd expect something more formal tomorrow but it was clearly down to Idzik and Khan according to all reports. Idzik being the choice is no surprise considering he looks even better on paper than Khan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the teamís compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the clubís primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings."

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I
    Nice job leaving out the part that actually proves that he is actually scouting aswell:

In addition to all this coaching carousel talk, Seattle stands to lose a central figure in their front office, VP of Football Operations, John Idzik, as he interviews with the Jets for their vacant GM position for a 2nd time today. Idzik, from what I understand, has been an integral piece of Seattle's rebuild and the man behind the salary cap management over the past few years. The Seahawks have been tight with their money, but this frugality has led Seattle to become one of the best-managed franchises in the NFL over the past two or three years, a stark contrast to teams like the Raiders and Ravens, for instance, who face the possibility of dropping key players because of cap overages.

According to the Seahawks' website, Idzik "oversees player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations."

Albert Breer also pointed out yesterday that the final sentence up there is true, Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late. This dual ability - a business management acumen plus an ability to evaluate talent - is what makes him so valuable to the Seahawks and attractive to the Jets. I don't know if it's warranted, but I'm almost more worried about losing Idzik than I am about losing Bevell or Bradley.

Field Gulls, Seahawks blog

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got our guy.

NOW, does he want us?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    We got our guy.

NOW, does he want us?
    If he didn't want us, why would he come here yesterday for the second interview?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001.

You may send the deed to me because I just took ownership of you. Co-ownership with Jordy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1esrEb9p0Wc

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rotoworld Spin:

Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.
    Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus Albert Breer pointed out that:

" Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I
    Unless you were in the room at Seahawk player evaluation meetings and the interviews with the Jets, your insights are useful or, for that matter, insightful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

AND Kentucky Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would he waste his and this organization's time if the decision would be "tough"?

If he made it through multiple interviews, and the Jets offered him the job, it should be a done deal. It's not like they told him in the last 3 minutes of the final interview that Rex is staying.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he didn't want us, why would he come here yesterday for the second interview?
    The snacks on Woody's private jet are pretty good.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    AND Kentucky Jet.
    Fair enough. We will have a Triumvirate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Rotoworld Spin:

Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.
    Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.
    Which proves that Rotoworld, like SAR, don't do much research.

NOTICE HOW SAR CONVENIENTLY IGNORES THE *FACTS* HE WAS PRESENTED EARLIER IN THIS THREAD JUST NOW?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The snacks on Woody's private jet are pretty good.

SAR I
    Make that deed out to Eckesg1, Kentucky Jet, and Jordy.

(Just in alphabetical order)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Why would he waste his and this organization's time if the decision would be "tough"?

If he made it through multiple interviews, and the Jets offered him the job, it should be a done deal. It's not like they told him in the last 3 minutes of the final interview that Rex is staying.
    As someone who's been through the executive search process, sometimes you go on several different interviews and several different phases just to get the experience.

To go through the process and say you were a finalist is a different story than being turned aside after one round.

The only reason this guy would take this job is if he was very desperate. We'll find out soon.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    so Idzik seems to have been involved in rebuilding and turning around perennially futile franchises such as the Bucs, Cardinals and Seacawks.

please don't snub us