Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cap manager what a joke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

cap manager what a joke

how can you have a guy or even consider a guy for your GM that has never had a job evaluating talent -this is a football job

all this talk of a cap guru is nonsense-it is not rocket size-everybody gets to spend the same amount and you have to structure contracts to maximize that-

I have a MBA from a top school-I am good with numbers does this mean I would make a good GM or any contract lawyer would?

a football GM's number one job is to help put a quality roster together not be a number cruncher and the numbers are what they are-sanchez contract and cap number wont change...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    how can you have a guy or even consider a guy for your GM that has never had a job evaluating talent -this is a football job

all this talk of a cap guru is nonsense-it is not rocket size-everybody gets to spend the same amount and you have to structure contracts to maximize that-

I have a MBA from a top school-I am good with numbers does this mean I would make a good GM or any contract lawyer would?

a football GM's number one job is to help put a quality roster together not be a number cruncher and the numbers are what they are-sanchez contract and cap number wont change...
    Read his bio.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/staff/J...0-c4b074b07c45

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Find it hard to believe that anyone who writes like that has an MBA.

Or someone who just speaks without knowing the facts.

Or so attention starved that they have to create their own thread to be heard.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    was not referring to him directly but the concept of a cap guy in general-we need a guy that judges talent and has a history of building a team through the draft and free agency

but since you went there I will throw this out there and can find a million just like it

Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.
    Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post

how so the facts are a number of candidates mentioned were mentioned for their "cap skills" not their talent evaluating skills

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

um yeah shocking somebody would create a thread on a message board-strong reply

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

will also throw out u must be really attention starved based on the number of posts you have and threads you have started -your key board warrior skills are strong

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

do some research on the guy..then come back to us..thank you

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    do some research on the guy..then come back to us..thank you
    as I stated I was not speaking to a specific guy but the concept and then I put what was posted by adam schefter-Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.
    Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    kmsurfs likes to complain for the sake of complaining without doing proper research on Idzik.

Sounds like SAR has a spare account.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    kmsurfs likes to complain for the sake of complaining without doing proper research on Idzik.

Sounds like SAR has a spare account.

talk to Adam Schefter you must not like his research it was his comment I posted

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    as I stated I was not speaking to a specific guy but the concept and then I put what was posted by adam schefter-Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.
    Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzik’s first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

What is a Pro Personnel Assistant in the NFL?

A Pro Personnel Assistant performs duties related to scouting and assesment of players throughout the NFL. Duties generally consist of evaluating personnel (free agents, opposing teams, and his own roster), advanced scouting (scouting of upcoming opponents), and data maintenance. The assistant usually works closely with the Director of Pro Personnel, coaching staff, and General Manager to produce reports related to the assesment of individuals and teams for scouting and game planning purposes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    apparently they'll give out MBA's to just about anyone at Smurf College

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    apparently they'll give out MBA's to just about anyone at Smurf College
    Smurfs = Blue Midgets.

Could it be that OP is.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik hasn't even accepted the position yet, and the OP is whining.

Go light yourself on fire.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    whats with everyone being a dick? i don't get the philosophy of:
    cap guy>talent guy.
    aren't there people in the front office who hold job titles specifically for working out cap numbers? if so then wouldn't you want the top talent evaluator as your gm. and i know there are jobs within an org. as a talent scout, but the GM is the guy with the final word

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    "it is not rocket size"?

I shudder to think what that means...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    talk to Adam Schefter you must not like his research it was his comment I posted
    that wasn't Schefter's comment, you azzclown, that was rotoworld's uneducated editorial spin.

as everyone else has stated, take 5 minutes and read the man's bio. He's not even close to being Tanny Part Deuce.