Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Media narrative already starting to form

  1. #61
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    But, But... Have you heard about his leased Light Beige Entry Level BMW????
    Almost spit my coffee out when I read that.....LOL.

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Twitter is killing real journalism. put what you want, nobody to hold you accountable.

    The Te'o story was also butchered. In this case, when a football player says his girlfriend dies and you are going to put it in a story, you better make dang sure she is dead. It took them months to finally check it out. pitiful.

    there's the old saying for reporters: if your mother says she loves you, check it out.

    doesn't seem like journalists do as much of that anymore. way too much dot connecting.
    Accountability is a big problem because the truth is not as important anymore. If a story can garner a lot of attention and sell papers or get ratings then accuracy simply takes a back seat. Simply put; a better story is better then an accurate one.

    If someone becomes profitable like mike Francesca he is only held accountable if his statements are politically incorrect and deemed insensitive or inflammatory. But as for people like Francesa being held accountable for being incorrect or making false narratives within sports; forget it.

  3. #63
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Except that Idzik actually played college football and has been working in the NFL for 20 years. Oh, and his father was in the business his whole life.

    He's much more than "just a cap guy."

    If anything, Khan is the guy much more closely related to Tannenbaum.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. Tannenbaum had personal experience and put a team on the field that went to 2 straight AFC finals. I'm happy we hired the same kind of guy to run the organization. Now if we can just get ourselves a professional HC I will be thrilled.

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,683
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Maybe the narrative is taking form because it already exists.

    There is no conspiracy here people. Nobody is out to get the Jets. If anything, the media has been more than patient especially in light of all of Rex Ryan's antics over the past three seasons.

    The narrative exists because the candidate that we are focusing on is simply not a pro player personnel guy. The record speaks for itself, it's been over 10 years since this guy was intimately involved in understanding college talent and picking players. The Seahawks have a GM, that's his job. This guy was making sure that contracts were being signed, the cap was under control, the office staff bought enough Windex, that the charter jet was booked, and that the toilet paper was stocked properly in the bathrooms.

    Our owner is going in a bizarre direction. It is perfectly normal for fans and the media to call that out. You guys are living in a dream world where everything is everybody's fault except Rex Ryan. Next year, you'll be singing a different tune.

    SAR I
    Are you still upset that Jets did not replace Rex with Sporano?

  5. #65
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    yeah it pisses me off, too.
    +1 just annoying as it takes two seconds to check the guys bio.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,237
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have been totally misinformed. The guy went on scouting trips this year.


    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Maybe the narrative is taking form because it already exists.

    There is no conspiracy here people. Nobody is out to get the Jets. If anything, the media has been more than patient especially in light of all of Rex Ryan's antics over the past three seasons.

    The narrative exists because the candidate that we are focusing on is simply not a pro player personnel guy. The record speaks for itself, it's been over 10 years since this guy was intimately involved in understanding college talent and picking players. The Seahawks have a GM, that's his job. This guy was making sure that contracts were being signed, the cap was under control, the office staff bought enough Windex, that the charter jet was booked, and that the toilet paper was stocked properly in the bathrooms.

    Our owner is going in a bizarre direction. It is perfectly normal for fans and the media to call that out. You guys are living in a dream world where everything is everybody's fault except Rex Ryan. Next year, you'll be singing a different tune.

    SAR I

  7. #67
    Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    558
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Here are three examples, all from Rotoworld and most likely written by Evan Silva, that show fictional writing and story telling instead of reporting;

    Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.

    Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.


    The last line is simply false and creates or adds to the false narrative that is well on its way to taking shape. When (if) Idzik takes his seat for his press conference the narrative by the gossip columnists will already have been established.

    Here is the previous blurb from the same site;

    CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets will decide who will be the team's next general manager on Thursday.

    The Jets wrapped up their final interview with Seattle's John Idzik on Wednesday night, and he is considered a finalist along with Pittsburgh's Omar Khan. Trailing behind those two by what is considered a wide margin is incumbent assistant GM Scott Cohen. None of the three would be classified as "name" hires, but after being spurned by several other candidates, the Jets are just trying to get the process complete.


    So "several" other candidates have now spurned the team?

    Finally there was the ridiculous narrative that Giants front office man Marc Ross turned the Jets down;

    The New York Post reports Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Jets' GM vacancy.

    It's unclear why Ross pulled out of the Jets' search, but it's quite clear there's something pushing candidates away from Gang Green. Ross was a finalist for the Panthers' GM job, but was beaten out by fellow Giants' front-office man Dave Gettleman. Ross will remain with the Giants as perhaps GM Jerry Reese's top assistant. The Jets, meanwhile, will continue to search high and low for someone willing to take on their cap issues and Mark Sanchez.


    We know that Ross realized that the Jets were not going to hire him so he saved face by "pulling his name out of the process" much in the same way that I decided I was not going to ask out scarlett johansson.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

    Trying to be objective here, but it seems like you dismiss any rumors that you disagree with, but give full credibility to the ones that support your argument.

    You have the same certainty (absolutely zero) regarding Ross' motivations for removing his name from consideration as you do about any job responsibilities that Idzik may or may not have had. The comments on Idzik are libelous, but you say "we know" what happened behind the scenes with Ross.

    My reading of Idzik's player personnel responsibilities over the last 10 years are that he was thinking ahead to his next job and asked if he could be a part of that process.

    The fact that "while also remaining active in player evaluations" is a throwaway line listed after eight other responsibilities in his own bio indicates (to me) that it was of minimal significance. Sounds like that was as strong of a statement he could make in the bio without outright falsehoods.

  8. #68
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Killingworth, CT
    Posts
    460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Maybe the narrative is taking form because it already exists.

    There is no conspiracy here people. Nobody is out to get the Jets. If anything, the media has been more than patient especially in light of all of Rex Ryan's antics over the past three seasons.

    The narrative exists because the candidate that we are focusing on is simply not a pro player personnel guy. The record speaks for itself, it's been over 10 years since this guy was intimately involved in understanding college talent and picking players. The Seahawks have a GM, that's his job. This guy was making sure that contracts were being signed, the cap was under control, the office staff bought enough Windex, that the charter jet was booked, and that the toilet paper was stocked properly in the bathrooms.

    Our owner is going in a bizarre direction. It is perfectly normal for fans and the media to call that out. You guys are living in a dream world where everything is everybody's fault except Rex Ryan. Next year, you'll be singing a different tune.

    SAR I
    That's because our owner is bizarre.

    Boy you are consistent. But before you bury this guy too, lets see what he's about. Perhaps he'll hire a good personnel guy. Let's give the guy a chance. Good GMs aren't born, they are made. He's had some good organizational influences. He has a good background to run the organization and change the current circus atmosphere.

    Let's see what happens.

    Geez.

  9. #69
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeSauer View Post
    That's because our owner is bizarre.

    Boy you are consistent. But before you bury this guy too, lets see what he's about. Perhaps he'll hire a good personnel guy. Let's give the guy a chance. Good GMs aren't born, they are made. He's had some good organizational influences. He has a good background to run the organization and change the current circus atmosphere.

    Let's see what happens.

    Geez.
    Some of us need a longer time to heal from this past season before we move onto the next season.

    Speaking for myself, I still have not gotten over the fact that Rex Ryan has been retained and Mike Tannenbaum has been fired. I don't like what I read and hear from the experts that our new GM is a great executive, a top-notch NFL man, but is the only one out of seven new GM's that isn't a personnel guy.

    Come opening day we will all be on the same page and rooting for the Jets as we always have. This isn't the first time we've been at the disappointment rodeo. But I don't need fans telling me when I should feel better; I'll let you know when that happens.

    SAR I

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    Trying to be objective here, but it seems like you dismiss any rumors that you disagree with, but give full credibility to the ones that support your argument.

    You have the same certainty (absolutely zero) regarding Ross' motivations for removing his name from consideration as you do about any job responsibilities that Idzik may or may not have had. The comments on Idzik are libelous, but you say "we know" what happened behind the scenes with Ross.

    My reading of Idzik's player personnel responsibilities over the last 10 years are that he was thinking ahead to his next job and asked if he could be a part of that process.

    The fact that "while also remaining active in player evaluations" is a throwaway line listed after eight other responsibilities in his own bio indicates (to me) that it was of minimal significance. Sounds like that was as strong of a statement he could make in the bio without outright falsehoods.
    fair enough.

    That line may seem like a throw away in Idzik's bio but I can tell you what isn't; 11 years working in the player personnel department for a team that won a Super Bowl. And that is the part of his bio that is largely being ignored by the portion of the media that created a story line before he was even hired.

    As for Ross's motivation for taking his name out of the Jets search, I was repeating the sentiments of Boomer Esiason who essentially said on his show that Ross had no chance at the job so he tried to save face. It did not seem like Boomer was merely speculating and he does have sources inside the team and the NFL. But most of the gossip columnists used the actions of Ross, as well as the bogus story that Woody offered Caldwell a $1 million house credit-and still turned them down, to ram home the narrative/story line that the Jets are a joke and a mess at everything.

    To be clear, I am not an apologist for this owner, in fact I wish he sold the team. I do not like how he helped create this three-ring circus nor do I like the fact that he kept Ryan after firing Tannenbaum. I also do not like how he comes off to the public. With that said, he did well to hire Korn/Ferry, and my hope for Idzik comes from that fact as well as the quotes from actual NFL insiders about his talents and potential.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-20-2013 at 03:59 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us