Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Media narrative already starting to form

Media narrative already starting to form

The jets have not even made an official announcement on who their next GM will be and already the gossip columnists are creating their own version of reality.

At this point information is pointing to the hiring of Idzik as GM although nothing hs been made official yet. But that has not stopped fiction writers like rich cimini, Gary Myers and manish Mehta from creating a fictional narrative about the potential hire. They refer to him as a cap guy, despite him spending 11 years working the personnel side for Tampa Bay. Even national writers at rotoworld have labeled Idzik a cap guru only in their daily jets bashing blurbs.

The jets organization has done itself no favors by its actions over The past few seasons much to the delight of the gossip columnists posing as reporters that cover the team. But it's unfortunate when the team attempts to do the correct thing in hiring a promising candidate at a vital position, only to have the gossip columnists create a false narrative to fit the jets circus story that has become profitable for them.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-17-2013 at 07:32 PM.

yeah it pisses me off, too.

Maybe the narrative is taking form because it already exists.

There is no conspiracy here people. Nobody is out to get the Jets. If anything, the media has been more than patient especially in light of all of Rex Ryan's antics over the past three seasons.

The narrative exists because the candidate that we are focusing on is simply not a pro player personnel guy. The record speaks for itself, it's been over 10 years since this guy was intimately involved in understanding college talent and picking players. The Seahawks have a GM, that's his job. This guy was making sure that contracts were being signed, the cap was under control, the office staff bought enough Windex, that the charter jet was booked, and that the toilet paper was stocked properly in the bathrooms.

Our owner is going in a bizarre direction. It is perfectly normal for fans and the media to call that out. You guys are living in a dream world where everything is everybody's fault except Rex Ryan. Next year, you'll be singing a different tune.

SAR I

While we wait to hear whether John Idzik will be announced as general manager of the Jets today, it might be worth considering what Seahawks fans think of him. Below is what SB Nation's Seahawks blog, Field Gulls, wrote yesterday.

In addition to all this coaching carousel talk, Seattle stands to lose a central figure in their front office, VP of Football Operations, John Idzik, as he interviews with the Jets for their vacant GM position for a 2nd time today. Idzik, from what I understand, has been an integral piece of Seattle's rebuild and the man behind the salary cap management over the past few years. The Seahawks have been tight with their money, but this frugality has led Seattle to become one of the best-managed franchises in the NFL over the past two or three years, a stark contrast to teams like the Raiders and Ravens, for instance, who face the possibility of dropping key players because of cap overages.

According to the Seahawks' website, Idzik "oversees player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations."

Albert Breer also pointed out yesterday that the final sentence up there is true, Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late. This dual ability - a business management acumen plus an ability to evaluate talent - is what makes him so valuable to the Seahawks and attractive to the Jets. I don't know if it's warranted, but I'm almost more worried about losing Idzik than I am about losing Bevell or Bradley.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

There is no conspiracy here people. Nobody is out to get the Jets. If anything, the media has been more than patient especially in light of all of Rex Ryan's antics over the past three seasons.

The narrative exists because the candidate that we are focusing on is simply not a pro player personnel guy. The record speaks for itself, it's been over 10 years since this guy was intimately involved in understanding college talent and picking players. The Seahawks have a GM, that's his job. This guy was making sure that contracts were being signed, the cap was under control, the office staff bought enough Windex, that the charter jet was booked, and that the toilet paper was stocked properly in the bathrooms.

Our owner is going in a bizarre direction. It is perfectly normal for fans and the media to call that out. You guys are living in a dream world where everything is everybody's fault except Rex Ryan. Next year, you'll be singing a different tune.

SAR I
    Wait... So he from having no pro player personal creds and a "cap guy" to not having experience in the last 10yrs.

"of late" isn't good.

Unless he has been scouting colleges during the regular season as he runs all of the Seahawks operations, when exactly was he getting first-hand knowledge of the next group of NCAA players coming up?

He's not to take this job anyway, this is just fun and games.

SAR I

Banned

SAR I

Lookatme

Quote Originally Posted by dmitexxi View Post
    Wait... So he from having no pro player personal creds and a "cap guy" to not having experience in the last 10yrs. :
    You could at least read my posts before responding or engaging in personal attacks.

The guy has 11 years of player personnel experience. The issue is it's been 10 years since he was intimately involved on that side of the front office. If he were such a hot shot helping build the Super Bowl team in Tampa bay, why didn't he become a GM then? Why did he move laterally and become the head of football operations instead?

This guy is a "C" level candidate of no interest. The only reason for any pseudo-optimism is because the Seahawks look like a good team and he is helped by that association. As we hypothesized three weeks ago when Rex Ryan was retained, no one is going to want this job and we are going to wind up settling for the wrong person and someone who is going to be a dice roll project.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this. But I know what I read, and I know what I hear, and everyone is singing the same story.

Everyone, except you.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think they are falsely portraying him. Idzik is a "cap guy" with some personnel experience as well as some coaching experience.

That is worlds better than just having a "cap guy" like Tanny.

His bio clearly points out that he is heavily involved on the cap/contracts side of things and only makes a small mention of him being "active" in player evaluations. That can mean anything.

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the team’s compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the club’s primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.
    What I like is the last part. It seems that he has relationships throughout the league and that should benefit us.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    The jets have not even made an official announcement on who their next GM will be and already the gossip columnists are creating their own version of reality.

At this point information is pointing to the hiring of Idzik as GM although nothing hs been made official yet. But that has not stopped fiction writers like rich cimini, Gary Myers and manish Mehta from creating a fictional narrative about the potential hire. They refer to him as a cap guy, despite him spending 11 years working the personnel side for Tampa Bay. Even national writers at rotoworld have labeled Idzik a cap guru only in their daily jets bashing blurbs.

The jets organization has done itself no favors by its actions over The past few seasons much to the delight of the gossip columnists posing as reporters that cover the team. But it's unfortunate when the team attempts to do the correct thing in hiring a promising candidate at a vital position, only to have the gossip columnists create a false narrative to fit the jets circus story that has become profitable for them.
    The Eagles have all the talent in the world. They paid a fortune to Michael Vick and they were expected to win their division and maybe make a Super Bowl run and they go 4-12 and they are not laughing stocks like the Jets. The Jags pick a QB bust and go 2-14 and they don't get picked on. Buffalo was supposed to take a big step this season . They got Mario Williams and they stink again. Jets have playoffs what 5 out of last 10 seasons and had no talent on offense and were not expected to make playoffs and the Jets are the biggest laughing stock of them all? Why is that? Honestly I could give a crap because they will always be my team but guys like Cimini should be shut out by the Jets. He's done actual damage with his reporting. He's probably lost players and coaches jobs. Jets need to shut him out. ESPN would have to fire or reassign him to a different team.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    The Eagles have all the talent in the world. They paid a fortune to Michael Vick and they were expected to win their division and maybe make a Super Bowl run and they go 4-12 and they are not laughing stocks like the Jets. The Jags pick a QB bust and go 2-14 and they don't get picked on. Buffalo was supposed to take a big step this season . They got Mario Williams and they stink again. Jets have playoffs what 5 out of last 10 seasons and had no talent on offense and were not expected to make playoffs and the Jets are the biggest laughing stock of them all? Why is that? Honestly I could give a crap because they will always be my team but guys like Cimini should be shut out by the Jets. He's done actual damage with his reporting. He's probably lost players and coaches jobs. Jets need to shut him out. ESPN would have to fire or reassign him to a different team.
    Exactly Tannenbaum was a cap guy with pro-player personal responsabilities well before he took his job as GM. As you pointed out Tanny did a great job and we are replacing him with a guy with a very similiar background.

Good move Woody!

Jets Insider VIP
    Im ok with this hire as long as he brings in his own scouts. Get buttway and the other clowns out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Im ok with this hire as long as he brings in his own scouts. Get buttway and the other clowns out of here.
    +1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    They have no time. The combine is 5 weeks away. I can't see how this guy can clean house, bring in a new staff, prep, and have a productive experience in Indianapolis.

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I

They have no time. The combine is 5 weeks away. I can't see how this guy can clean house, bring in a new staff, prep, and have a productive experience in Indianapolis.

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I

And you're the Angel of Darkness apparently.

give me a break.....

Simply put, Delusional. If the team wanted to do the "right thing" Rex Ryan would have been FIRED!

Every piece of Jets news is a bashing blurb. Even pro football talk decided to tie in Manti Teo's death hoax to the Jets GM hiring.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

SAR I

SAR stop ****ting on every thread or I will ban you...the shtick is painful at this point, for the membership and the mods

SAR I
    I got to take issue with everything you just typed. Explain to me the media patience in regards to Rex Ryan's antics over the past few seasons. There has never been a more media friendly head coach than Rex Ryan. When Eric Mangini was the head coach. He treated the media like they were the enemy. Rex treats the media like they are his friends and look at what he gets in return, enemy treatment. What are the antics you are implying? Dressing up like his brother? Is it the tatoo of his wife?

John Idzik has been involved in all personnel decisions. Just go look at the facts and then come back to me. Use some windex on your computer screen when you are reading next time.

How is Woody's direction bizarre exactly?. Was it hiring KornFerry who hired Seattle's current GM? Was that the bizarre direction that you speak of?

As for Rex, Everyone knows that this is a make or break year for him. If the Jets are a failure in 2013. He will not be the head coach in 2014. He knows it, every fan knows it and the whole Jets organization knows it. There are no different tunes but I will tell you who plays the same tune over and over and over again. That would be you. I don't mind someone who is cynical or takes a negative stance or viewpoint but it's all that you can or ever do. So it's hard to give you any credit or respect because you all do is sing the same old tune. That's all you bring to the table.
    Last edited by LeonM; 01-17-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    SAR stop ****ting on every thread or I will ban you...the shtick is painful at this point, for the membership and the mods
    Thank you!