Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media narrative already starting to form

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    SAR stop ****ting on every thread or I will ban you...the shtick is painful at this point, for the membership and the mods

Thank you !

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are three examples, all from Rotoworld and most likely written by Evan Silva, that show fictional writing and story telling instead of reporting;

Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.

The last line is simply false and creates or adds to the false narrative that is well on its way to taking shape. When (if) Idzik takes his seat for his press conference the narrative by the gossip columnists will already have been established.

Here is the previous blurb from the same site;

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets will decide who will be the team's next general manager on Thursday.

The Jets wrapped up their final interview with Seattle's John Idzik on Wednesday night, and he is considered a finalist along with Pittsburgh's Omar Khan. Trailing behind those two by what is considered a wide margin is incumbent assistant GM Scott Cohen. None of the three would be classified as "name" hires, but after being spurned by several other candidates, the Jets are just trying to get the process complete.

So "several" other candidates have now spurned the team?

Finally there was the ridiculous narrative that Giants front office man Marc Ross turned the Jets down;

The New York Post reports Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Jets' GM vacancy.

It's unclear why Ross pulled out of the Jets' search, but it's quite clear there's something pushing candidates away from Gang Green. Ross was a finalist for the Panthers' GM job, but was beaten out by fellow Giants' front-office man Dave Gettleman. Ross will remain with the Giants as perhaps GM Jerry Reese's top assistant. The Jets, meanwhile, will continue to search high and low for someone willing to take on their cap issues and Mark Sanchez.

We know that Ross realized that the Jets were not going to hire him so he saved face by "pulling his name out of the process" much in the same way that I decided I was not going to ask out scarlett johansson.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-18-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Here are three examples, all from Rotoworld and most likely written by Evan Silva, that show fictional writing and story telling instead of reporting;

Seahawks cap guru John Idzik has emerged as the favorite for the Jets' general manager job.

Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Idzik has overtaken in-house candidate Scott Cohen and Pittsburgh's Omar Khan as the "clear frontrunner" to replace Mike Tannenbaum in New York. Schefter reports Idzik could be offered the job "as early as tonight." Idzik's title with Seattle is "VP of Football Administration." He has little to no background as an evaluator of personnel and talent.

The last line is simply false and creates or adds to the false narrative that is well on its way to taking shape. When (if) Idzik takes his seat for his press conference the narrative by the gossip columnists will already have been established.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets will decide who will be the team's next general manager on Thursday.

The Jets wrapped up their final interview with Seattle's John Idzik on Wednesday night, and he is considered a finalist along with Pittsburgh's Omar Khan. Trailing behind those two by what is considered a wide margin is incumbent assistant GM Scott Cohen. None of the three would be classified as "name" hires, but after being spurned by several other candidates, the Jets are just trying to get the process complete.

Finally there was the ridiculous narrative that Giants front office man Marc Ross turned the Jets down;

The New York Post reports Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross has withdrawn his name from consideration for the Jets' GM vacancy.

It's unclear why Ross pulled out of the Jets' search, but it's quite clear there's something pushing candidates away from Gang Green. Ross was a finalist for the Panthers' GM job, but was beaten out by fellow Giants' front-office man Dave Gettleman. Ross will remain with the Giants as perhaps GM Jerry Reese's top assistant. The Jets, meanwhile, will continue to search high and low for someone willing to take on their cap issues and Mark Sanchez.

We know that Ross realized that the Jets were not going to hire him so he saved face by "pulling his name out of the process" much in the same way that I decided I was not going to ask out scarlett johansson.
    Geezus, they cite each other for information instead of a valid source. And they can go on and on and on, just quoting each other. Media tools.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The writers are essentially writing to cover up all the crap they've been delivering over the last few months. If they're wrong they'll continue with the next spicy nugget of a rumor they can spin into a news article.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    as a respected newspaper journalist friend of mine told me the other day, we are on our way to becoming the most misinformed, uninformed and disinformed generation in history.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Its very annoying

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    SAR stop ****ting on every thread or I will ban you...the shtick is painful at this point, for the membership and the mods
    I/ve been posting on JI for a month now, and SAr is by far the most annoying, predictable poster here.He just posts to fan the flames,and to sing his one note song

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    as a respected newspaper journalist friend of mine told me the other day, we are on our way to becoming the most misinformed, uninformed and disinformed generation in history.
    Mostly because media writers are in a race to produce 'news' no matter if it is fact or fiction. People seem to think they 'need' to know now. Is it going to change any of our lives if the GM is hired today or 2 months from now ? No. It will affect the Jets ... A football team that none of us have ANY control over. I find it hilarious how people scramble to pick up the latest gossip with Twitter.

Wake me when a real story breaks. Then I will have something informative and interesting to read and debate over.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Mostly because media writers are in a race to produce 'news' no matter if it is fact or fiction. People seem to think they 'need' to know now. Is it going to change any of our lives if the GM is hired today or 2 months from now ? No. It will affect the Jets ... A football team that none of us have ANY control over. I find it hilarious how people scramble to pick up the latest gossip with Twitter.

Wake me when a real story breaks. Then I will have something informative and interesting to read and debate over.
    Twitter is killing real journalism. put what you want, nobody to hold you accountable.

The Te'o story was also butchered. In this case, when a football player says his girlfriend dies and you are going to put it in a story, you better make dang sure she is dead. It took them months to finally check it out. pitiful.

there's the old saying for reporters: if your mother says she loves you, check it out.

doesn't seem like journalists do as much of that anymore. way too much dot connecting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Twitter is killing real journalism. put what you want, nobody to hold you accountable.

The Te'o story was also butchered. In this case, when a football player says his girlfriend dies and you are going to put it in a story, you better make dang sure she is dead. It took them months to finally check it out. pitiful.

there's the old saying for reporters: if your mother says she loves you, check it out.

doesn't seem like journalists do as much of that anymore. way too much dot connecting.
    Look, no one has less respect for the sports media than I, but why would a sportswriter check on the death of a players girlfriend, unless the player was somehow involved. Why didn't they check on the grandmother dying either then.

This is not Manny Rameriz showing up late for training camp because his grandfather/mother died for the 2nd time.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot on!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    There are far worse posters than SAR. Although those "men" are on vacation and I applaud whoever responsible.
    Your posting while on vacation??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Look, no one has less respect for the sports media than I, but why would a sportswriter check on the death of a players girlfriend, unless the player was somehow involved. Why didn't they check on the grandmother dying either then.

This is not Manny Rameriz showing up late for training camp because his grandfather/mother died for the 2nd time.
    most of the time, those things are true. but a big part of the journalist job description is fact checking. you attach your name to a story, you better be sure ALL the facts have been checked -- name spelling, numbers, life events, etc. This was a big story that was going to be picked up by every media outlet. a simple phone call usually does the trick. but it's not done nearly enough and this time it came back to get them.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Well if a journalist reports something and gets paid to do it as a "professional" than they should be held accountable for a false report!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean American history? 200 years of it. As the establishment gets bigger that's bound to happen as the new religion takes over, but the world in fact has become more informed thanks to the interwebs. We don't just have to buy what they're selling us, but most people still do. Hopefully the government doesn't take it over, but I have a feeling it's only a matter of time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Intelligent Post, Intelligent (LOL)! You're right - good reporters seem to be a thing of the past, and ESPN / Sports Media are just as bad as gossip columnists. At least news reporters are held to a higher standard - didn't Dan Rather get fired for reporting false information a year or two ago? But nothing happens to these sports guys - they're not held accountable for the damage they do. Especially with the "anonymous sources" on the Jets - I bet most of those are made up.

See, because I didn't do my due diligence, I didn't know that Idzik was a football guy before he became a personnel / cap guy. That makes a big difference. Assuming his past football experience was in evaluating and scouting talent. Oh crap, now I'll have to fact check your post LOLOL! But even without verifying your report, I tend to believe it as you have more integrity than these TMZ Sports Reporters.

24 hour news and sports channels killed investigative journalism. They need fodder to blab about 24/7, and how much real stuff is there to talk about? I'm sure a lot of it is imaginary. Geez, I just had a flashback to the 24/7 news coverage of Chandra Levy, when the news media made Congressman Condit look guilty as heck for years until her murder was finally solved. Did any of them lose their jobs? No. And don't get me started on Nancy Grace - it's all about "Baby Skye" until the next missing kid ... then you never find out what happened to "Baby Skye".

I don't respect journalists anymore. Now I'm going to listen to the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry", cuz it's true.
    Excellent post, and thank you for the kind words.

You are spot on about our worthless media; journalism is dead for the most part. Don Henley wrote that song in the 80s and its sad that it has only gotten worse in 2013.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post, and thank you for the kind words.

You are spot on about our worthless media; journalism is dead for the most part. Don Henley wrote that song in the 80s and its sad that it has only gotten worse in 2013.
    You're welcome The media really do a great disservice when they repeat a rumor or opinion ad infinitum as if it's the truth. After a while people start to believe it, or say "Where there's smoke there's fire." That old adage doesn't hold water in the post-millenium media world.

Don Henley had it right x100000000! He comes up with some great lyrics.

Off topic, but one of my favorite Henley lines is "You cross a lawyer with the godfather, he'll make an offer that you can't understand" LOL

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I/ve been posting on JI for a month now, and SAr is by far the most annoying, predictable poster here.He just posts to fan the flames,and to sing his one note song
    Wrong.

SAR posts his opinions, just like everyone else here. That's it, plain and simple.

Most Jets fans on this forum are flat-out wrong. "Rex Ryan is a great coach!" Wrong. "The Jets are going 12-4!" Wrong. "Rex says this is the most talented team he's ever coached!" Wrong. "Everything is Mark Sanchez fault!" Wrong. "The media is to blame!" Wrong.

If you find me 'annoying', it's because your opinions are the polar opposite of mine. I find many posters here 'annoying' too, but I don't call them out- I debate the subject matter, which is what we're here to do. You think I'm fanning flames? It's not the intent. It's what happens when some posters are too far to one side of an argument. I'm guilty of that as well, doesn't make it wrong.

I am active in no more than 3-4 threads in a given day. There are 100's of active threads on Jets Insider. You don't need to read the handful I post in, don't need to respond to me, don't need to interject yourself into a conversation I'm having with others.

This is a discussion forum, not a fanclub. Not every poster is going to be full of glee right now. The team is not headed in the right direction. We're allowed to voice our opinions.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Wrong.

SAR posts his opinions, just like everyone else here. That's it, plain and simple.

Most Jets fans on this forum are flat-out wrong. "Rex Ryan is a great coach!" Wrong. "The Jets are going 12-4!" Wrong. "Rex says this is the most talented team he's ever coached!" Wrong. "Everything is Mark Sanchez fault!" Wrong. "The media is to blame!" Wrong.

If you find me 'annoying', it's because your opinions are the polar opposite of mine. I find many posters here 'annoying' too, but I don't call them out- I debate the subject matter, which is what we're here to do. You think I'm fanning flames? It's not the intent. It's what happens when some posters are too far to one side of an argument. I'm guilty of that as well, doesn't make it wrong.

I am active in no more than 3-4 threads in a given day. There are 100's of active threads on Jets Insider. You don't need to read the handful I post in, don't need to respond to me, don't need to interject yourself into a conversation I'm having with others.

This is a discussion forum, not a fanclub. Not every poster is going to be full of glee right now. The team is not headed in the right direction. We're allowed to voice our opinions.

SAR I
    All that said, however, you were given an ultimatum by one of the mods.

You don't heed it, you'll get burned.

THE END.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/

Brilliant post and dead on. You earned your name with this post.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    But, But... Have you heard about his leased Light Beige Entry Level BMW????

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    All that said, however, you were given an ultimatum by one of the mods.

You don't heed it, you'll get burned.

THE END.
    And it's about time. It's starting to look a lot like kellybot