Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In house Guard options

All Pro

In house Guard options

Now our two starting offensive guards are free agents and neither has performed great last year. Slauson and Moore could propably be resigned cheap but it has to be asked if we can't get an upgrade at the position. I would say the guard position propably can be addressed by investing the fewest money while still have a huge positive effect on the team. Edge rushers will cost a lost and propably have to be selected early in the draft. Same with quarterbacks where we already have a ton of money tied up in anyways.

We have two guards on the roster for quite some time now and the team in Vladimir Ducasse and Caled Schlauderaff. The question now is do we really want to connect the future of the offensive line on these two unknowns?! It would certainly help if we can invest picks and money into other positions but history has told us that the offensive line is one of the most important parts of the team, especially for a team that will rely on the run game as a big part of their identity....

Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Now our two starting offensive guards are free agents and neither has performed great last year. Slauson and Moore could propably be resigned cheap but it has to be asked if we can't get an upgrade at the position. I would say the guard position propably can be addressed by investing the fewest money while still have a huge positive effect on the team. Edge rushers will cost a lost and propably have to be selected early in the draft. Same with quarterbacks where we already have a ton of money tied up in anyways.

We have two guards on the roster for quite some time now and the team in Vladimir Ducasse and Caled Schlauderaff. The question now is do we really want to connect the future of the offensive line on these two unknowns?! It would certainly help if we can invest picks and money into other positions but history has told us that the offensive line is one of the most important parts of the team, especially for a team that will rely on the run game as a big part of their identity....
    i think we should resign Moore. He still could be productive for us for a year or two.Slauson isn't athletic enough to play left guard, we should spend a high pick to replace him

Re-sign Moore, draft Warmack at 9.

Problem solved.

Ducasse and Sclaghaoghapgaga are not NFL starters.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post

Problem solved.

Well done. Have they offered you the GM job?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I thought this was addressed 2 years ago, oh wait that was another team, my mistake.

I would be ok with taking warmack at nine, but I'd rather trade down to somewhere around 18 for a third round pick and go for one of the slightly less stellar prospects, considering how deep this draft class is for guards.

Either way, spending first round picks on Oline is what led the niners to such a dominating run game and was what led us to having arguably the best oline in the game a few years back. Lets start there!

All League
    Guys. David DeCastro was according to many a sure-fire All-Pro OG in the making last year. And where was he drafted?

24th

and some think that was too high based on the position he plays.

No to any OG going top 20.

At 9, it would be a crime.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    So many Guard houses, so little time.

There are no in house guard options. Mr T did a absolutely horrible job at this position. How in the world do you draft a guard bust in the second round? You cant do that if u tried. He scored a 13 on the wonderlic test - that is a 4th grade level. He has the brain of a 4th grader and a pro football players body. Good pick Mr T. As far as Schlauderaff - oh I heard several times that MrT liked him alot. Hes been on the Jets for what 3 seasons and I havnt seen him play a snap. Glad u held on to him. Glad you were fired Mr T!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post

Problem is, how do we properly evaluate Schauderaff? We'll have a new OC, Degug is probably a goner and Caleb S. never got any playing time. How can any staff go into the FA/Draft with any type of confidence that this bench warmer for 3 years has a legit shot at starting?

In hindsight, the Vlad rotation paid off somewhat as at least the team can see what they have in Vlad. I saw some good and some not as good, but my guess is that he's going to be a starter and that probably can work out OK - depending on what happens on the other side.

I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade at RT and see if Howard could move inside. He scares me being on an island out there.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Guys. David DeCastro was according to many a sure-fire All-Pro OG in the making last year. And where was he drafted?

24th

and some think that was too high based on the position he plays.

No to any OG going top 20.

At 9, it would be a crime.
    You want somebody in the top ten who in an obvious way affects the outcome of a game, a game changer, no guard can do that, not even Warmack. There should be good options in the 2nd round. If Jonathan Cooper drops, we might be able to trade up a few spots and grab him

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    You want somebody in the top ten who in an obvious way affects the outcome of a game, a game changer, no guard can do that, not even Warmack. There should be good options in the 2nd round. If Jonathan Cooper drops, we might be able to trade up a few spots and grab him
    +1

All League
    All the players below played for the Jets. All start/started in the NFL somewhere. The highest drafted of the listed was in the 5th round.

Jonathan Goodwin
    Rob Turner
    Matt Slauson
    Brandon Moore
    Will Montgomery
    Casey Weigmann

Maybe Schlauderaff is ready.
    Last edited by Yankeejet22; 01-18-2013 at 09:40 AM.

My first round pick, Apache

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    +1
    Ezekiel Ansah from BYU.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    All the players below played for the Jets. All start/started. The highest drafted of the listed was in the 5th round.

Jonathan Goodwin
    Rob Turner
    Matt Slauson
    Brandon Moore
    Will Montgomery
    Casey Weigmann

Maybe Schlauderaff is ready.
    From what I remember he played well in the preseason.

Problem solved.

Hmmm, I am hesitant to resign Moore. He's looking for his last contract and you are taking the chance that he could fall off a cliff at any time given his age. I'd almost go the opposite and sign Slauson and then look for a solid draft pick to replace Moore. Slauson is a decent player, good lunchpail type of lineman. I look at all these teams in the playoffs and around the league and they all have a "Slauson" or 2 on their line. You can't have all pros all along the line.

Hall Of Fame
    Ezekiel Ansah from BYU.
    I think your philosophy applies to LB's as well unless he is Ray Lewis, I also think we need someone one the other side of the ball, D is not our problem. Is this guy a QB killer, then maybe? What if they trade their first for more pics, to a team out of the Conference?

Problem solved.

Yes that is spot on watch our offense totally changed with a high draft guard

He's a game changer

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I think your philosophy applies to LB's as well unless he is Ray Lewis, I also think we need someone one the other side of the ball, D is not our problem. Is this guy a QB killer, then maybe? What if they trade their first for more pics, to a team out of the Conference?
    Under Ryan this guy, will become a QB killer, and is athletic enough to cover tight ends and backs. That guy in the first, a guard in the 2nd, a third down back, who can catch and break long runs in the third.Thats the way i would go.We still need another outside backer, a problem. Hopefully we do our homework and find a gem or two late

Jets Insider VIP
    i think we should resign Moore. He still could be productive for us for a year or two.Slauson isn't athletic enough to play left guard, we should spend a high pick to replace him

Problem solved.

From what I saw last year, Moore has lost any athleticism he once had. Whether that is a result of the double hip surgery or not is up for debate I suppose. Either way, the Jets need to address the position in the first or second round.