Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Hires Mike Lombardi as VP Player Personnel

Cleveland Hires Mike Lombardi as VP Player Personnel

@AdamSchefter: Update: Michael Lombardi's title in Cleveland will be VP player personnel.

@AdamSchefter: Browns hired Michael Lombardi as GM.

No GM for Cleveland as speculated. Lombardi will be the personnel guy

lmao Lombardi is a ****ing joke

one less media hack to write bad stuff about the jets.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    one less media hack to write bad stuff about the jets.
    huge anti jet guy, wonder who simmons will use as his go to guy now?

Clearly Cleveland lost the game of offseason musical chairs.

All Pro
    If the Jets had hired a guy like this, the media - including bloggers like Lombardi - would have killed them for it.

Best news of the morning. We will no longer be subject to that disgusting toupee on NFL network every night.

What amazes me about this is that I've never come away from watching ML thinking "wow, this guy is smart." Maycock, Mangini, and maybe a couple of other guys always are specific and thoughtful in what they have to say about players and teams.

Put Cleveland down for another lost decade.

All League
    Totally clueless hire. In all his time on the NFL Network he NEVER brought
    anything to the table on breaking down players. CLE would've been better
    hiring Mayock

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I love hearing JI hacks act as if they know the 1st thing about Lombardi's qualifications....always good for a chuckle

Nonetheless, I hate that guy, and hope he fails miserably in Cleveland

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I love hearing JI hacks act as if they know the 1st thing about Lombardi's qualifications....always good for a chuckle

I mostly agree - we don't know jack ****, for the most part, about what these personnel guys do. But, as some folks here have suggested, we have seen him break down plays and talk about different aspects of the game, over the years. In that regard, there is something out there that people have to rate him on, just like how Mayock usually gets high grades as an analyst (if not announcer).

But I agree, most of the animus comes from him being anti-Jet.

! would love for Mayock to be in the Jets scouting dept.....
    Last edited by jetman in indy; 01-18-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: mispell

I do know his previous jobs including working for Al Davis during the darkest period in Raiders history and a Cleveland team that was so talent deprived that even Bill Belicheck couldn't win with them. His resume doesn't include anything that would remotely qualify him for this position. Maybe he's a smart guy who was in some ****ty situations, that's possible I suppose, but his resume is terrible, there's no getting around that.

Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    I
    would love for Mayock to in the Jets scouting dept.....
    Absolutely agree but why would he do that when he's probably making a boatload as a big fish in a small pond of pretenders?

Also, he has no real accountability for his draft projection misses.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I mostly agree -
    But I agree, most of the animus comes from him being anti-Jet.
    He was just hired by the Cleveland Browns...their new owner, a billionaire just said this is the guy for my team.

Have to trust Lombardi knows his sh1t.

I hope what we see on NFL network is what the Browns get, and opinionated jerkoff. Somehow, I believe the guy has to be a brilliant guy. I mean, he was hired by an NFL franchise.

Still, hope he fails

I know that he trained under mumbles in their first stint in Cleveland, then spent some years in Oakland. Dont like the guy, dont agree with his opinions or player views.

I'll say one thing about him. He was 100% correct about Gholston from day one. When every one else was pumping the guy up he said he was a total stiff and maintained that from day one until gholston was out of the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    "Warren Sapp, told ESPN Radio that at the NFL Combine two months before the draft, he met with then-Cleveland coach Bill Belichick and here’s what was said:
    “He said ‘I wanna draft you so bad that I have an erection right now. But [GM] Mike Lombardi will not let me draft you. I just want you to know it is not on me. I want you in Cleveland.’”
    Cleveland initially had the 26th pick in the draft, but traded up to the 10th spot, where it could have drafted Sapp. But Lombardi was scared of Sapp so he traded down to the 30th spot and took Craig Powell (bust)."

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    "Warren Sapp, told ESPN Radio that at the NFL Combine two months before the draft, he met with then-Cleveland coach Bill Belichick and here’s what was said:
    “He said ‘I wanna draft you so bad that I have an erection right now. But [GM] Mike Lombardi will not let me draft you. I just want you to know it is not on me. I want you in Cleveland.’”
    Cleveland initially had the 26th pick in the draft, but traded up to the 10th spot, where it could have drafted Sapp. But Lombardi was scared of Sapp so he traded down to the 30th spot and took Craig Powell (bust)."
    Did anybody ever ask Belichick about this. Seems really out of character for him. But then again this was before he was "Belichick".

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Did anybody ever ask Belichick about this. Seems really out of character for him. But then again this was before he was "Belichick".
    No clue. But I never pass up an opportunity to post an erection quote. Especially if it's Bill Belichick's.