Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Cleveland Hires Mike Lombardi as VP Player Personnel

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    No clue. But I never pass up an opportunity to post an erection quote. Especially if it's Bill Belichick's.
    LOL.

    I didn't even notice the "erection" part until you said that. Just makes it all the better now.

    Beli is a freak.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Did anybody ever ask Belichick about this. Seems really out of character for him. But then again this was before he was "Belichick".
    It does not make any sense, BB had personnel control In Cleveland. I can see Lombardi talking him out of it, but never over ruling BB.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I do know his previous jobs including working for Al Davis during the darkest period in Raiders history and a Cleveland team that was so talent deprived that even Bill Belicheck couldn't win with them. His resume doesn't include anything that would remotely qualify him for this position. Maybe he's a smart guy who was in some ****ty situations, that's possible I suppose, but his resume is terrible, there's no getting around that.
    The raiders went to the SB with him, and to the playoffs 3 times and they probably would have kept being a good team if Davis and not Lombardi fired Gruden. I am not saying he is god or bad, but saying that he was tied to the worse part of riader history without giving him credit for the playoffs is wrong. Davis in his last 12 years ruined that team Not his GMs.
    Last edited by patman; 01-18-2013 at 11:55 AM.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    @JasonLaCanfora: Joe Banner made a great point about the hire, noting not just an eye for playing talent, but how to build front office/find talented scouts

  5. #25
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    It does not make any sense, BB had personnel control In Cleveland. I can see Lombardi talking him out of it, but never over ruling BB.
    Perhaps Belichick is simply attracted to large black men and when in their presence finds himself developing a boner.

    Maybe that's why he wears long baggy sweatshirts.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Did anybody ever ask Belichick about this. Seems really out of character for him. But then again this was before he was "Belichick".
    I'm sure something of that nature was said, but it was 2 months before the draft - it was BS chatter. No one's board is even remotely put together. I'm sure it was simply nonsense talk - blowing smoke up a draftee's ass.

  7. #27
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    491
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman in indy View Post
    ! would love for Mayock to be in the Jets scouting dept.....
    I like Mayock. I was very impressed on how his draft board hit on almost every selection a few years ago, and he is very insightful at times.

    What bothers me though is it seems that he can overstate the level of success a draftee will have in the pros.

    He was extremely high on Sanchez the day he was drafted.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Perhaps Belichick is simply attracted to large black men and when in their presence finds himself developing a boner.

    Maybe that's why he wears long baggy sweatshirts.
    I don't think he tries to hide it, I think the guy is so football focused he does get excited physically.

  9. #29
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF View Post
    I like Mayock. I was very impressed on how his draft board hit on almost every selection a few years ago, and he is very insightful at times.

    What bothers me though is it seems that he can overstate the level of success a draftee will have in the pros.

    He was extremely high on Sanchez the day he was drafted.
    I think Mayock is one of the best in the business, if not THE best.

    The one prediction he made that stands out to me was his adament support of Matt Ryan and how good he was going to be while others were hedging their bets on him.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    If the Jets had hired a guy like this, the media - including bloggers like Lombardi - would have killed them for it.

    +1...lol

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I think Mayock is one of the best in the business, if not THE best.

    The one prediction he made that stands out to me was his adament support of Matt Ryan and how good he was going to be while others were hedging their bets on him.
    It's all about location with Matt Ryan and by that i mean where he plays. Compare Matt Ryan's record at home to his record on the road. Now take out the Games played in less than ideal temperatures . The Falcons play in the NFC south division where most of the team either play in warm weather or in domes.
    Falcons - Dome
    Saints - Dome
    Tampa - Hot Florida sun
    Carolina - Ideal weather


    If Matt Ryan was drafted by the Bills or the Pats or any other north east or cold weather teams, would his record be the same. His arm strength is perfect for where he plays in the offense he plays in.

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It's all about location with Matt Ryan and by that i mean where he plays. Compare Matt Ryan's record at home to his record on the road. Now take out the Games played in less than ideal temperatures . The Falcons play in the NFC south division where most of the team either play in warm weather or in domes.
    Falcons - Dome
    Saints - Dome
    Tampa - Hot Florida sun
    Carolina - Ideal weather


    If Matt Ryan was drafted by the Bills or the Pats or any other north east or cold weather teams, would his record be the same. His arm strength is perfect for where he plays in the offense he plays in.

    +1

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It's all about location with Matt Ryan and by that i mean where he plays. Compare Matt Ryan's record at home to his record on the road. Now take out the Games played in less than ideal temperatures . The Falcons play in the NFC south division where most of the team either play in warm weather or in domes.
    Falcons - Dome
    Saints - Dome
    Tampa - Hot Florida sun
    Carolina - Ideal weather


    If Matt Ryan was drafted by the Bills or the Pats or any other north east or cold weather teams, would his record be the same. His arm strength is perfect for where he plays in the offense he plays in.
    The weather did not seem to bother him at BC

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The weather did not seem to bother him at BC
    Dude i was 1 of the people that wanted the Jets to trade up for Matt Ryan. With this knowledge that at BC he threw almost as many INTs as he did TDs. His arm strength is not the same in the cold as it is in the domes or the warm weather climates.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Dude i was 1 of the people that wanted the Jets to trade up for Matt Ryan. With this knowledge that at BC he threw almost as many INTs as he did TDs. His arm strength is not the same in the cold as it is in the domes or the warm weather climates.
    Besides Flaco and Cutler who isn't

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Besides Flaco and Cutler who isn't
    Definitively stronger arms than Ryan (off the top of my head and in no particular order):

    1) Stafford
    2) Flacco
    3) Cutler
    4) Rodgers
    5) Kaepernick
    6) Roethlisberger
    7) Brady
    8) Locker
    9) Weeden
    10) Newton
    11) Freeman
    12) Eli
    13) RGIII
    14) Vick
    15) Romo
    16) Tannehill

    This is not to say that Ryan isn't phenomenal because he is. Ryan has incredible football acumen and elite accuracy. I'm merely pointing out the facts. There are plenty of excellent QBs with average to below average arm strength (Peyton, Brees, Luck, etc.)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us