Thread: Seahawks fans on Idzik....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Seahawks fans on Idzik....

http://www.fieldgulls.com/latest-new...radley-darrell

In addition to all this coaching carousel talk, Seattle stands to lose a central figure in their front office, VP of Football Operations, John Idzik, as he interviews with the Jets for their vacant GM position for a 2nd time today. Idzik, from what I understand, has been an integral piece of Seattle's rebuild and the man behind the salary cap management over the past few years. The Seahawks have been tight with their money, but this frugality has led Seattle to become one of the best-managed franchises in the NFL over the past two or three years, a stark contrast to teams like the Raiders and Ravens, for instance, who face the possibility of dropping key players because of cap overages.

According to the Seahawks' website, Idzik "oversees player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations."

Albert Breer also pointed out yesterday that the final sentence up there is true, Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late. This dual ability - a business management acumen plus an ability to evaluate talent - is what makes him so valuable to the Seahawks and attractive to the Jets. I don't know if it's warranted, but I'm almost more worried about losing Idzik than I am about losing Bevell or Bradley.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post

In addition to all this coaching carousel talk, Seattle stands to lose a central figure in their front office, VP of Football Operations, John Idzik, as he interviews with the Jets for their vacant GM position for a 2nd time today. Idzik, from what I understand, has been an integral piece of Seattle's rebuild and the man behind the salary cap management over the past few years. The Seahawks have been tight with their money, but this frugality has led Seattle to become one of the best-managed franchises in the NFL over the past two or three years, a stark contrast to teams like the Raiders and Ravens, for instance, who face the possibility of dropping key players because of cap overages.

According to the Seahawks' website, Idzik "oversees player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations."

Albert Breer also pointed out yesterday that the final sentence up there is true, Idzik has a role in scouting players, and the Seahawks have sent him on the road with this function of late. This dual ability - a business management acumen plus an ability to evaluate talent - is what makes him so valuable to the Seahawks and attractive to the Jets. I don't know if it's warranted, but I'm almost more worried about losing Idzik than I am about losing Bevell or Bradley.
    Ridiculous post, Cimini and the Jets beat writers said he is a capologist, so it must be true.

Great find!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always like to read the comments for some laughs.

Jets GM job = worst place in football
    by DigDug5 on Jan 16, 2013 10:19 AM PST reply

You would think that after Tannenbaum...
    …the Jets would realize they need a personnel guy to be GM, not another cap-ologist.

by Ian Lozada on Jan 16, 2013 1:00 PM PST up reply

I dont see Idzik going to the Jets unless he wants to commit career suicide.
    I mean, that whole team is a cancer upon that city and the league.
    Plus, he’ll have to deal with Mark Sanchez’s salary. LOLZZZZ
    I'm not even FROM Seattle and I love the Seahawks!!

by kermdawg on Jan 16, 2013 3:40 PM PST up reply

This is an opportunity to show how Great he can be.
    Sometimes it only takes one person to change an organization(Walsh). sometimes it is a pair (JS and PC) and sometimes there is no helping (Clippers)
    by Oliudyen on Jan 16, 2013 4:14 PM PST up reply

NFL GM's are rarely fired after only a couple of years
    No one is going to blame the next GM for having to deal with the Sanchez and cap problems. I think the reason people are shying away from the Jets job is they aren’t sure what the ownership needs to see in 2013 in order for the GM to fire Rex Ryan. A GM who might be perfectly willing to go into a bad team and make it better become unwilling when they find out that they won’t be able to get started on that turnaround until year 2-3, even if they know they’ll get six years before they’re on the hot seat.
    Well, Buhner was a good prospect, no question about it. But my baseball people loved Ken Phelps’s bat. They kept saying, ‘Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps.’
    by Trenchtown on Jan 16, 2013 11:24 PM PST up reply

Woody Johnson is why people are shying away from the job.
    He’s as meddlesome as Jerry Jones, but worse results.

70% of space is covered by dark matter, the rest by ET.
    by hazbro24 on Jan 17, 2013 9:58 AM PST up reply
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job Pete

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Good job Pete
    Actually Mehta has also sided with Breer on this one. Said that Idzik is not a Tannenbaum clone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

And that is the difference between a reporter like Albert Breer and the gossip columnists that follow the Jets. To be honest, it did not take any great journalist skills; all Breer had to do was read Idzik's bio and maybe talk to a person or two in the Seahawk's front office. What was it; a 10 minute phone call and a few minutes to find his bio on the website?

Sadly, that small effort by Breer was either too much work for the gossip columnists or (more likely) ignored because it does not fit their story line that has been so profitable for them that the Jets are a circus.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No idea if Idzik will do a good job but if you read his resume he's not
    Tannenbaum at all. Just the fact that he played college football and
    coached at a couple of colleges totally seperates him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Actually Mehta has also sided with Breer on this one. Said that Idzik is not a Tannenbaum clone.
    He will be drowned out by the endless prater from NFL savants like mike francesa who will push the narratives that they choose.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    He will be drowned out by the endless prater from NFL savants like mike francesa who will push the narratives that they choose.
    Yep, just hope the Jet Pr department doesn't let Idzik, or whoever the GM is going to be on Fatso's show.

For what It's worth Idzik's father was a pretty good OC under Walt Micheals. 77-79 seasons.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    but SAR said he's a cap guy, so it must be true

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    So, in other words, that's what Cimini tweeted earlier?

Fcuk Manish. Sorry, in my book you don't get to go from tabloid trash journalist in December to straight FB reporting in January and expect to be taken seriously.

I'd urge all of you to stop visiting the NYDN website and/or following this douche on twitter.

The more you click on their trash links, the more they're going to crank out garbage lies about "Rex's inner thoughts" based on mythical sources.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    No idea if Idzik will do a good job but if you read his resume he's not
    Tannenbaum at all. Just the fact that he played college football and
    coached at a couple of colleges totally seperates him
    Apparently, being smart nowadays means that you are a "cap guy" and have no instincts for talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Idzik's father was a football man through 'n through. Was OC for Walt Michaels and the NYJ.

"Idzik has a family tie to the Jets. His father, also named John, was the teamís offensive coordinator from 1976-79"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...o3A6WKmmexN2UI

Idzik was born into football. He played the game and coached some. He can scout and evaluate talent too. He's also a mathematician. So maybe he has the correct equations/formulas, that will return the team once again into a playoff contender by 2014-15.

This is a talented well rounded individual. Who knows...maybe Idzik and Rex can get along fine, and be a good combination.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Seahawks make most personnel decisions via a 3 man committee. Carroll, Schneider and Idzik. Its been that way since they hired Schneider after Carroll was already there.