Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Jets hire John Idzik as new GM

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I like what I've read about him. Hope Woody gives him the power he needs to rebuild this team how he wants without interference. And I'd love if his first move was cutting Tebow.
    I'd rather his first move, trading tebow for picks somehow... Then we know, this GM will be worth having.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    I'm shocked the Jets hired another cap guy. Roster needs to be overhauled. Thought for sure they'd go with a personnel guy.

Costello, Cimini, and Manish are the absolute WORST beatwriters in the world. Thank God for Connor Orr.
    Manish is actually supporting the hire.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    John Idzik isn't a clone of Mike Tannenbaum. I was told that Idzik spent time this season on the college scouting trail. #nyj

John Idzik is more than just a salary cap man. He's had some experience in coaching/scouting. However, his forte isn't on personnel side.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I like what I've read about him. Hope Woody gives him the power he needs to rebuild this team how he wants without interference. And I'd love if his first move was cutting Tebow.
    Id rather he trade Tebow and get a draft pick for him. Then he should trade Suckchez get another draft pick. Its pretty silly to cut and run from players if there is a chance for any kind of compensation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The term "cap guy" is very broad anyway ... Tanny was a "cap guy" in a wheeler-dealer sense, making trades left right and centre; Idzik comes from a Seattle team who looked a bit more frugal - getting value players rather than splashy free agents.

Right now, we need all the value guys we can get.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    I'd rather his first move, trading tebow for picks somehow... Then we know, this GM will be worth having.
    Id rather he trade Suckchez. If he does that and it helps our cap problems, we have hired us a real GM. Then he can trade Tebow for another pick and bring in Matt Flynn and draft a young QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannys sin was not being a cap guy in my opinion. It was deferring to Rex too much and not being his own man as far as building the team. He also had almost a disdain for late round draft picks, where you can help build team depth and development.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Jets identified Idzik as their man on Thursday, negotiated last night and through today to get it done.
    John Idzik is more than just a salary cap man. He's had some experience in coaching/scouting. However, his forte isn't on personnel side.
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Jets and John Idzik still working through "details" according to source but two sides finalizing deal. Idzik will be Jets GM, as expected.

The Jets will hire Seahawks exec John Idzik as their next general manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Id rather he trade Suckchez. If he does that and it helps our cap problems, we have hired us a real GM. Then he can trade Tebow for another pick and bring in Matt Flynn and draft a young QB.
    No one's giving up a pick for Teblow, lol. We'll be cutting his ass, plain and simple.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is going to trade for Sanchez? The guy's not a magician.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finally.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    YESSSSS

Excited for this hire!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no more SOJ fan in the country than Joe Benigno. And even he was all right with the hire. So shut it for the moment.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This long time Jets fan wishes Idzik all the best. With the poor cap management, poor personnel, and poor contract decisions made by his predecessor, this LTJF recognizes that its going to take time to turn this thing around.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Seahawks sat Flynn in favor of Russell Wilson despite what they were paying Flynn. They believed in cutting their losses and moving on. I'm sure this guy was involved in the decision. Maybe he will cut the cord on Sanchez? Please????

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Jets make Idzik hiring official. #nyj

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Jets announce John Idzik is the team's new G.M.

Jets make it official, announce that John Idzik is the team's new general manager.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one's giving up a pick for Teblow, lol. We'll be cutting his ass, plain and simple.
    Id rather the new GM decide then you. You could be right but then we traded for him. Lets just wait and see.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    only problem is he was not the guy that put the seattle team together
    John Schneider is the guy that did that-if he was hired for our gm I would be excited but he was not
    This is interesting and something I'm hoping we could find out a little bit more on. What role did he play in finding the talent on Defense and the discovering of Russell Wilson? or was it all John Schneider? At the presser I would love to find out specifically what acquisitions did he have his hands directly in.

I'm encouraged we have him by his past teams success, looking forward to some new blood, but am really curious to see where specifically he made his mark in finding talent. Hopefully those answers will come out in time if there are in fact any.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    The Seahawks sat Flynn in favor of Russell Wilson despite what they were paying Flynn. They believed in cutting their losses and moving on. I'm sure this guy was involved in the decision. Maybe he will cut the cord on Sanchez? Please????
    You are going to upset the Sanchez fans by saying things like that! But I agree with you! One thing for sure is that he knows Flynn. If he feels the guy is the real deal he will make a move for him I think. The new OC can not win with an inaccurate QB at the helm. That is proven.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the Idzik hire, I think he is going to be an excellent GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Id rather the new GM decide then you. You could be right but then we traded for him. Lets just wait and see.
    Only two teams wanted him last year: Jets & Jags. We CLEARLY don't want him, and Jacksonville has already said they don't want him even if he's cut. You honestly think someone's going to give up a draft pick for a terrible QB that brings controversy and distraction everywhere he goes? Haha, that's cute. I remember my first beer, too.