Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Jets hire John Idzik as new GM

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    This is interesting and something I'm hoping we could find out a little bit more on. What role did he play in finding the talent on Defense and the discovering of Russell Wilson? or was it all John Schneider? At the presser I would love to find out specifically what acquisitions did he have his hands directly in.

I'm encouraged we have him by his past teams success, looking forward to some new blood, but am really curious to see where specifically he made his mark in finding talent. Hopefully those answers will come out in time if there are in fact any.
    look at his record in Tampa.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    It's official: Jets announce Idzik as new GM. Press conference likely Tuesday. And, yes, Mornhinweg is hired as OC. #Jets

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rex Ryan wanted an attacking style of offense. Mornhinweg will bring West Coast/pass-friendly scheme to the Jets now. Ground & Pound is gone

Could Michael Vick & Mart Mornhinweg reunite with the Jets? Source tells me it's unlikely as of right now. But never say never. #nyj

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Thursday RT @nyjets: A news conference to introduce John Idzik to fans/media will be held Thursday, Jan. 24, at 11 am ET.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Seattle had Idzik involved in every part of its operation. He even hit about 10 schools in the fall to scout. Had to be attractive to Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Idzy!!

Jets announce they will have news conference to introduce John Idzik to "fans/media" Thursday, Jan. 24, at 11 am ET #nyj

All League
    Charter JI Member

From a respectable analyst without an agenda:

@adbrandt Expected Jets to move away from GM with Cap/contract bckground, but (1) Idzik has scouted, and (2) situation demands Cap expertise.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Jets will introduce Idzik next Thursday at a news conference. Hopefully, he doesn't escape to the Bahamas in the meantime. #Jets

More Woody Johnson: "Drawing on 20 years of NFL experience, John, working with Rex, will get the Jets where all of us want to be."

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    #Jets presser coming on Thursday to introduce Idzik.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    No tattoos, right? Right?!? RT @RichCimini Jets will introduce Idzik next Thursday. Hopefully, he doesn't escape to the Bahamas in meantime

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    Finally.
    The Jets traded Brooks Bollinger .

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    You are going to upset the Sanchez fans by saying things like that! But I agree with you! One thing for sure is that he knows Flynn. If he feels the guy is the real deal he will make a move for him I think. The new OC can not win with an inaccurate QB at the helm. That is proven.
    I'm not concerned about upsetting both of them...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The Jets traded Brooks Bollinger .
    And Leberfeld is still crying giant tears over that one.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Jets hire Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, which has already triggered Vick speculation http://wp.me/p14QSB-6UNp

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Jets announce they will have news conference to introduce John Idzik to "fans/media" Thursday, Jan. 24, at 11 am ET #nyj

"I am eager to get started building on the foundation that is already in place.” -- John Idzik, new #Jets GM

Sound like a guy that is strictly going to be contracts?

All Pro
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    It's official: Jets announce Idzik as new GM. Press conference likely Tuesday. And, yes, Mornhinweg is hired as OC. #Jets

Rex Ryan wanted an attacking style of offense. Mornhinweg will bring West Coast/pass-friendly scheme to the Jets now. Ground & Pound is gone

Could Michael Vick & Mart Mornhinweg reunite with the Jets? Source tells me it's unlikely as of right now. But never say never. #nyj

Thursday RT @nyjets: A news conference to introduce John Idzik to fans/media will be held Thursday, Jan. 24, at 11 am ET.
    Is this correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    "I am eager to get started building on the foundation that is already in place. -- John Idzik, new #Jets GM

Sound like a guy that is strictly going to be contracts?

How did you come up with this from his quote?

All Pro
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Jets hire Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator, which has already triggered Vick speculation http://wp.me/p14QSB-6UNp
    Coincedence this was announced after the GM was hired. Is Rex covering his tracks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Id rather he trade Suckchez. If he does that and it helps our cap problems, we have hired us a real GM. Then he can trade Tebow for another pick and bring in Matt Flynn and draft a young QB.
    So tired of reading these childish monikers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Id rather the new GM decide then you. You could be right but then we traded for him. Lets just wait and see.
    Watch out everybody!

KJ's back on the "so you know better than the GM?" train!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Right from the horses mouth.....

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...9-32ea6f97f5b0

Jets Name John Idzik General Manager

Posted 36 minutes ago

By Jets Media Relations Department

An introductory press conference will be held for Idzik at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on [Thursday, January 24, at 11 am]The New York Jets have named John Idzik as the team’s general manager. The announcement was made by New York Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson.

“After a thorough search in which we met many qualified and outstanding candidates, it was clear to me that John was the right choice,” said Johnson. “During his two decades in the NFL, John helped build a Super Bowl championship team in Tampa Bay, an NFC championship team in Arizona and, most recently, a team in Seattle that narrowly missed reaching the NFC championship game.

"John has seen first-hand what’s necessary to construct a winning team and has worked with some of the most innovative and successful coaches in the NFL, including Pete Carroll, Tony Dungy, Dennis Green, Jon Gruden and Mike Holmgren. Drawing on 20 years of NFL experience, John, working with Rex, will get the Jets where all of us want to be.”

Idzik has spent the past six seasons as the vice president of football administration with the Seattle Seahawks. There he was actively involved in player evaluations and player negotiations among other responsibilities. Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as senior director of football operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an NFC championship team. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with Tampa Bay and spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, eventually rising to assistant general manager in 2001.

“I am honored and extremely excited to be joining the New York Jets,” said Idzik. “It has been very enlightening getting to know Mr. Woody Johnson, Rex Ryan and Neil Glat, and I am very grateful for them making me feel very welcomed as a member of the Jets family. I am eager to get started building on the foundation that is already in place.”

Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik coached at Duke University, the State University of New York at Buffalo, and for the Aberdeen (Scotland) Oilers of the British American Football League.

Idzik’s father also had numerous coaching positions in the NFL, including serving as offensive coordinator of the Jets from 1977-79. John and his father are one of the few father/son teams to have each won a Super Bowl championship — John as assistant general manager with the Buccaneers in Super Bowl XXXVII, and his father as an offensive coach with the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl V.

Born in Detroit, Idzik graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth College in 1982, earning a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. At Dartmouth, he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League champion Big Green. He later earned a master’s degree from Duke in 1992.

An introductory news conference will be held for Idzik at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., on Thursday, Jan. 24, at 11 a.m. ET.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-18-2013 at 05:47 PM.