Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS: Jets hire John Idzik as new GM

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    FWIW Adam Shien(sp?) from loud mouths just said Gamble said to fire Rex. So the Jets said he bombed...

BTW these two are killing the Jets on both these moves..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    If this is true then I'm ecstatic Gamble wasn't selected. He was actually stupid to the point where he probably just cost himself the only opportunity he may EVER have to be an NFL GM. Jobs like these don't come around often and this moron might have pretty much commited career suicide because he absolutely could not work with mean ole Rex for one friggin season. What a dunce.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I have strong reasons why I like the hire....to those who hate it...I truly would love to see the reasons why!

Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    WHERE IS THE POLL?

CAST YOUR VOTE ON THE IDZIK HIRE:
    LIKE IT:
    HATE IT:

I'LL BET ITS 50-50 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    The Jets are a calamity after a 6-10 season? Two years removed from getting to the AFC title game two years in a row followed by an 8-8 season.......The Jets are NOT a calamity....they just have little talent.....some of you truly are caught up in the media hype with the circus talk etc.....lol Calamity???? lol what would you call the lions, Browns etc then???? sheesh

Absolutely a calamity. I choose to measure myself not against the worst (Browns, Lions, etc.) but against the best. If you constantly say, "I may not be doing well, but just look at those other guys!" then you are a loser. I choose to measure the Jets against the best. And in that respect, they are a calamity.

If you are clinging to 2009 and 2010 I don't know what to tell you. For any objective observer, those were exceptions. Flukes. Peyton Manning doesn't sit in week 16 of '09 and the Jets aren't even in the playoffs. They are 8-8. The epitome of mediocre. Which is exactly what they've been every year other than 2010 - and that year they eeked out wins against mediocre competition week after week. That team was not as good as its record - as became obvious the very next season. The last two years are what this franchise is. Mediocre at best. And on the way downhill. But I guess not as bad as the Browns. Gee, let's celebrate.

At least in '09 and '10 we had an OL. Now that has fallen apart and there is no depth to fill the holes. The skill positions are a joke. We need 3 new starting LBs. We have zero edge pass rushers, for a primary 3-4 defense. Other than CB (only the two starters) and the DL, there are holes up and down the roster. We clearly have an owner who cares more about publicity than anything else. We have a coach who for two years has sounded like he has no clue what is going on around him. Half of his assistants bailed on him.

So yeah, a calamity. I hope Idzik can turn it around. But it is fair to have doubts when (so far) the only change has been one guy - Idzik for Tannenbaum. I will obviously give him a chance before judging the move, but initially I want to see who he surrounds himself with. If he does nothing, and retains the likes of Bradway, et al, as his advisors? The same people who have been here for mediocre year after mediocre year? That will be the first sign that this might not end well. But for now... show us what you got, Mr. I.

PS: Laugh at the Browns and Lions all you want. Since the NFL merger in 1970 - forty three years ago - the NY Jets have exactly 2 division titles.
    Last edited by Toooon; 01-19-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Absolutely a calamity. I choose to measure myself not against the worst (Browns, Lions, etc.) but against the best. If you constantly say, "I may not be doing well, but just look at those other guys!" then you are a loser. I choose to measure the Jets against the best. And in that respect, they are a calamity.

If you are clinging to 2009 and 2010 I don't know what to tell you. For any objective observer, those were exceptions. Flukes. Peyton Manning doesn't sit in week 16 of '09 and the Jets aren't even in the playoffs. They are 8-8. The epitome of mediocre. Which is exactly what they've been every year other than 2010 - and that year they eeked out wins against mediocre competition week after week. That team was not as good as its record - as became obvious the very next season. The last two years are what this franchise is. Mediocre at best. And on the way downhill. But I guess not as bad as the Browns. Gee, let's celebrate.

At least in '09 and '10 we had an OL. Now that has fallen apart and there is no depth to fill the holes. The skill positions are a joke. We need 3 new starting LBs. We have zero edge pass rushers, for a primary 3-4 defense. Other than CB (only the two starters) and the DL, there are holes up and down the roster. We clearly have an owner who cares more about publicity than anything else. We have a coach who for two years has sounded like he has no clue what is going on around him. Half of his assistants bailed on him.

So yeah, a calamity. I hope Idzik can turn it around. But it is fair to have doubts when (so far) the only change has been one guy - Idzik for Tannenbaum. I will obviously give him a chance before judging the move, but initially I want to see who he surrounds himself with. If he does nothing, and retains the likes of Bradway, et al, as his advisors? The same people who have been here for mediocre year after mediocre year? That will be the first sign that this might not end well. But for now... show us what you got, Mr. I.

PS: Laugh at the Browns and Lions all you want. Since the NFL merger in 1970 - forty three years ago - the NY Jets have exactly 2 division titles.
    Excellent post, spot on.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    If this is true then I'm ecstatic Gamble wasn't selected. He was actually stupid to the point where he probably just cost himself the only opportunity he may EVER have to be an NFL GM. Jobs like these don't come around often and this moron might have pretty much commited career suicide because he absolutely could not work with mean ole Rex for one friggin season. What a dunce.
    Well we don't know what was being discussed in the interview. The question could have been how would you deal with the circus like atmosphere in NY. His honest answer could have been fire Ryan.

I don't think hurts him long term. He still has the SF gig for as long as he wants it. And if Polian thinks that highly of him, and Polian has the ear of several owners, he will get another crack.

I would prefer a candidate be honest. If he thought the only way of getting this team going in the right direction was firing the HC, he should have said that. Now that is not a new way of thinking. Look at Mularkey. Only had one year AND he worked with Caldwell the year before in Atlanta.

If Gamble was hired and fired Ryan, there would be NO DOUBT who was in charge. Right now with Idzik, we really don't know who has his ear. Hopefully he comes in and is skeptical of Ryan and plays diplomat so as to not alienate Ryan but at the same time, he needs to put his stamp on this team starting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Adam Schein also said the Quinton Coples would be Vernon Gholston 2.0

that is the key!!! your right 1 guy wont make a difference...lets wait and see....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    What exactly has Matt Flynn done? He started a whopping 2 games in the league.....Sanchez will not be the starter in 2013 but I am confident that the Jets will do better than Matt Fylnn.
    I'm convinced Sanchez will start next season, and I'm also ok with it. Him improving to a competent level with maybe some actual talent around him and maybe an actual game plan is a much better possibility than finding a good QB to start. The only possibility of a better option is Matt Moore. And we don't really know if he is truly a better option. I know 2012 was disastrous for Sanchez, but 2013 will be better, because it has to be. There's NO way it can be THAT bad again. Right?

All Pro

I've clearly been in the dark the past 8 years or so. I really thought it was Tanny running the show this whole time, but turns out it was Bradway. It was Bradway who screwed up all those contracts. It was Bradway who traded all of our picks every year which causes us to have the fewest drafted players over the span of the last 4 years. It was Bradway who decided to draft a freakin FB in the 4th round. It was Bradway who TRADED a 4th round pick for tebow. It was Bradway who gave Holmes starter money. It was Bradway who neglected to improve OL, WR, TE, RB, S, LB, oh, and the ENTIRE depth of the team. Yeah. Bradway must go.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    that is the key!!! your right 1 guy wont make a difference...lets wait and see....
    Sorry but one man can make a differance. Scouting Dept. will rate players how those rateings are interpeted equals the choice. There would be no need for a GM if final decissions on players was based solely on the scouting dept. rankings. Charlie Casserly for one gives the Jets scouting det. very high grade. How Tanny and Rex viewed that info is up for debate. In my opinion Coach will rank by need, Scouts rank by talent, GM is the tie breaker.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    I'm convinced Sanchez will start next season, and I'm also ok with it. Him improving to a competent level with maybe some actual talent around him and maybe an actual game plan is a much better possibility than finding a good QB to start. The only possibility of a better option is Matt Moore. And we don't really know if he is truly a better option. I know 2012 was disastrous for Sanchez, but 2013 will be better, because it has to be. There's NO way it can be THAT bad again. Right?
    The last time the Jets implemented the WCO, it was several years in the process. Sanchez is not going to be here beyond next season due to the $8.3M cap savings for cutting him after 2013. So he won't be here to see this progress beyond what we have now. Holmes and Kerley, I see a fit. McKnight, maybe Powell, yes. Green, Hill, Edwards, not so much. Plus we have no TE. Keller is fragile and a FA.

So couple that with an inaccurate QB without the mentality needed to play the position at this level, I don't see it working. If he is the starter, it's because everything else we tried, failed.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Good point

Jets Insider VIP
    And that is partly the point. Good organizations don't get rid of good players because they don't fit the system - they build a system around those good players. Bradway has been a big part of that kind of flawed thinking.
    If you know anything about my posting here you know that I don't shy away from being critical.

But I think we have to separate Bradway the GM from Bradway the scout.

A lot of different dynamics are involved when you're the GM.

I have no evidence that suggests that since Bradway has been a scout for the Jets that he has made any bad recommendations. On the contrary, it appears that he's a good judge of college talent when he doesn't have to fit someone into someone else's scheme and can simply report on a player's skill set.

I've clearly been in the dark the past 8 years or so. I really thought it was Tanny running the show this whole time, but turns out it was Bradway. It was Bradway who screwed up all those contracts. It was Bradway who traded all of our picks every year which causes us to have the fewest drafted players over the span of the last 4 years. It was Bradway who decided to draft a freakin FB in the 4th round. It was Bradway who TRADED a 4th round pick for tebow. It was Bradway who gave Holmes starter money. It was Bradway who neglected to improve OL, WR, TE, RB, S, LB, oh, and the ENTIRE depth of the team. Yeah. Bradway must go.

Really, that is your response? Obviously Tanny was a failure and had to go. Guess who was the GM before him? Oh right, it was Bradway. He somehow survived and was basically Tanny's right hand man on personnel. Why does he continually get a pass? It is clearly time for a housecleaning, notwithstanding your sarcasm.

Really, that is your response? Obviously Tanny was a failure and had to go. Guess who was the GM before him? Oh right, it was Bradway. He somehow survived and was basically Tanny's right hand man on personnel. Why does he continually get a pass? It is clearly time for a housecleaning, notwithstanding your sarcasm.
    You mean the same Bradway who implored Tanny to take Russel Wilson??

I agree with what a poster said before: Seperate Bradway the GM from Bradway the scout. The jets seem to have selected some good players in the draft over the past few years with the small amount of picks they've had. I don't think our scouting department is as big a problem as some on here are making it out to be.

All League
    To the best of my recolection Tanny was brought in by Parcells to be the cap guy. When Parcells left he wanted Tanny to follow him to the Cowboys. Tanny got promoted and stayed. People worry about the new GM being a yes man to Rex. More concerned if he will be a yes man to Woody ie Tebow!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Did Bradway fail as a GM? Absolutely yes. But he hasn't been the GM for quite some time and you're blaming the last GM's mistakes on him too. When he was relieved of his duties, he had a good skill that we could still use so Woody kept him around, probably at Tanny's request. Since then, all blame falls on Tanny, and it did. Wanting to fire Bradway for Tanny's failures is dumb and short sighted IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    You can find who the haters are among our esteemed sports "journalists" who have their own hidden agendas. I have been critical in the past but I say now, give our new GM a chance. He has to make the 2013 draft work for us. And getting some good low priced FAs. And retaining some of our quality players who are entering the FA market. And getting us a QB. These are the tests that our GM is got to succeed in.
    This.......

Can we wait util the new GM comes in and makes his professional assesment before we call for his head!!!

Come on Guys

Did Bradway fail as a GM? Absolutely yes. But he hasn't been the GM for quite some time and you're blaming the last GM's mistakes on him too. When he was relieved of his duties, he had a good skill that we could still use so Woody kept him around, probably at Tanny's request. Since then, all blame falls on Tanny, and it did. Wanting to fire Bradway for Tanny's failures is dumb and short sighted IMO.

I am not blaming Bradway for Tanny's failures, I am holding him accountable for the NY Jets' failures. Our personnel is in shambles and he is part of the staff that failed miserably. Why should he be rewarded by surviving yet another change in power? All I'm saying is we just hired a new GM and he should be allowed, and encouraged, to bring in his own people rather than relying on people that have mostly failed for more than a decade. If you think there are not other talented scouts out there and Terry Bradway is the only option in the entire world, then fine, you win. Otherwise, Mr. Idzik would be wise to keep all options open.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    To the best of my recolection Tanny was brought in by Parcells to be the cap guy. When Parcells left he wanted Tanny to follow him to the Cowboys. Tanny got promoted and stayed. People worry about the new GM being a yes man to Rex. More concerned if he will be a yes man to Woody ie Tebow!!!!!!!
    a bigger concern woould be in overlooking how poorly Sanchez has played as our starter!