Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fat man "Idzik is Tannenbaum" nothing has changed

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Idzik is not Mr. T. They are different people with different talents. Just because Idzik is smart does not mean he will make the same mistakes mr. t. Idzik played football and coached football. He isn't just a suit.

But you are already brainwashed by fatcessa to believe that Rex is in charge with ZERO proof, so there is no point in having a conversation with you.

Did Rex get a 5 year extension? Do you even know his contract status? he is a lame duck head coach that will need to win this year to stay. He had ZERO input in this decision and was just lucky he wasnt fired already. But keep thinking that Rex, with 1 year left on his deal, is somehow running this organization. Pathetic.
    Relax Revis, l donít come here to argue but exchange my point of view with others. Look, iíll give this guy the benefit of the doubt but IMO, Woody messed up by not bringing in the best guy available for this job. This guy wasnít even in their top 5 when the started the search. Doesnít that in itself tell you all need to know about the current state of affairs?

The Jets keep hiring first timers all the time and that to me, tells me that Woody just doesnít learn from the lessons of the past.

Iíll be glad to eat my words if iím wrong but the odds Revis are in my favor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    If we hired God , the fatman would have something negative to say. He just hates the Jets.
    In God We Trust

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Let us know when your brain thaws, my suggestion is stick your head in the oven for a couple of hours.Thank You
    you could tell that itís Friday, someone need s a drink.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    People are nuts if they think that Tanny and Idzik are the "same" Look at Tanny's work history and duties:

Pittsfield Mets
    Tannenbaum was an intern for the Pittsfield Mets during the 1991 season.[3]
    [edit]Cleveland Browns
    Tannenbaum worked in the Cleveland Browns' personnel department acting as an assistant under Bill Belichick.[1]
    [edit]New Orleans Saints
    Tannenbaum worked as an intern in the New Orleans Saints personnel department while he attended law school[1] In 1996, he worked for the team as a player personnel assistant.[1]
    [edit]New York Jets
    Tannenbaum was hired by the New York Jets on February 19, 1997 as the Director of Player Contract Negotiations.[1] Over the years, Tannenbaum served in numerous administrative positions with the team including Senior Vice President of Football Operations and Assistant General Manager.
    Tannenbaum succeeded Terry Bradway as the team's new general manager in 2006.[4][5]
    Tannenbaum signed a contract extension with the team through 2014.[6]
    Following the last game of the 2012 NFL regular season, Jets owner Woody Johnson announced that Tannenbaum would not return for the 2013 season.[7]

Now look at the work history of Idzik:

John Idzik begins his sixth season with the Seahawks after joining the club on February 16, 2007. With Seattle, Idzik oversees player negotiations, the teamís compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts, team travel and most aspects of the day-to-day football operations while also remaining active in player evaluations. In addition, he serves as the clubís primary liaison to the NFL Office and represents the club at League meetings.

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Idzik spent three seasons as Senior Director of Football Operations for the Arizona Cardinals, helping to build an eventual NFC champion. Idzik entered the NFL in 1993 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He spent 11 years with the Buccaneers, first as a Pro Personnel Assistant and then was elevated to Director of Football Administration in 1996 and Assistant General Manager in 2001. Prior to his tenure with the Buccaneers, Idzik spent the 1991-92 seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Duke University, where he assisted with the offensive line and running backs. In 1990 he was the offensive backfield coach for the Aberdeen Oilers (Scotland) of the British American Football League. Idzikís first coaching assignment came in 1982 as receivers coach at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

Raised in a football family, Idzikís father, also John, was the head coach of the Aberdeen club after serving as an NFL assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, and N.Y. Jets. They became one of the NFLís few father-son Super Bowl champions in 2003 when the younger Idzikís Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII, as his father was the offensive backfield coach of the Super Bowl V champion Baltimore Colts.

A native of Detroit, Idzik graduated with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors from Dartmouth College in 1982 earning a bachelorís degree in mathematics, where he also played wide receiver for the Ivy League Champion Big Green. He later earned a masterís degree in liberal studies from Duke University in 1992.

Now tell me they are the "same"..
    Good job. Was way to hard for Fatty to find this. And WAY to hard for the mindless sh1theads who worship him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parcellsguy View Post
    Rapid Reaction: Is Idzik a good hire?
    By Rich Cimini

Quick takeaways on the news that the Jets have decided to hire former Seattle Seahawks vice president of football administration John Idzik as their new general manager:

1. What they did: The Jets veered off course. They set out trying to find a GM with deep roots in scouting and personnel, but they chose a longtime executive who made his bones on the business side, dealing mostly with salary-cap management and contract negotiations. The Jets will present Idzik as a hybrid -- he attended personnel meetings in Seattle -- but that's not his area of expertise. Like former GM Mike Tannenbaum, he's a capologist making the crossover. They needed a leader who sees the world from a scout's perspective, not an executive who learned his football in a room.

2. Narrow view: This was a shortsighted decision. Owner Woody Johnson wanted someone to clean up the messy cap situation ($19.4 million over) and the number of bloated contracts. The real problem is a thin roster. One of the candidates told me the Jets need to replace 12 starters, conservatively. Yes, the Jets have contract issues, but they're in this cap predicament because of poor talent evaluations, overvaluing players such as Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and David Harris. They're paying Holmes like a top-10 receiver; any personnel man worth his stopwatch will tell you he's not even in the top 20.

3. Outside the box: This move smacks of the 1980s Jets, when they always left the league scratching its head because of against-the-grain decisions. Seven teams were in the GM market. The first six opted for executives with personnel backgrounds; the Jets went the other way. Are they smarter than everyone else? As one longtime GM told me, "This isn't the time to put a cap guy in charge."

4. The Rex factor: The big question is, what does this mean for Rex Ryan? In the short term, it could mean more influence in personnel matters. Like Tannenbaum, Idzik probably will lean heavily on Ryan for input. Ryan can pick defensive linemen (Muhammad Wilkerson), but that's about it. We all know he has a blind spot when it comes to offense. He pushed to draft Sanchez in 2009 when the scouts wanted Josh Freeman. This sets up a potentially dangerous situation: The coach should coach, the GM should pick the players -- except, in this case, the GM has never picked players. How do they fill the void? Maybe assistant GM Scott Cohen sticks around in a personnel role.
    This is a lousy bit of writing by Cimini that ignores all the positives of Idzik, as well as a good chunk of his own background. Does Cimini not realize this guy is coming from an organization that has made a number of brilliant moves the past few seasons? Wow way to bash a guy without really doing your homework or painting a full picture.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no issues with the hire. If he is a good as an executive as they say, then he will surround himself with top-notch talent evaluators.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody knows how this will turn out... The guy has an eclectic background and seems like a good candidate. I think Caldwell was the only guy the Jets really wanted and they made a move early. He decided to go to Jacksonville. After that the team went on the due diligence train and moved on from there. GM is the one area that I don't think you need a retread and fresh blood is better. The reason for this is that GMs usually get plenty of time to put their stamp on a team.

Furthermore, Tanny was not at all a horrible GM. While the past two seasons leave one wondering, over his tenure here the Jets have made the playoffs 5 times and gone to 2 AFC Championship games ( going off my head and did not look up) Under his watch we drafted some pro bowl players like Mangold, Ferguson, and Revis. Coples and Wilkerson look like keepers. I was ready to move on from him but it is not like Tanny was a complete failure in the position.

I am happy we have a hire and look forward to seeing what he does!!!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Good job. Was way to hard for Fatty to find this. And WAY to hard for the mindless sh1theads who worship him
    Much like the mindless sh1theads who call him names because he doesn't agree with your opinion of the Jets. But I'll forgive you if you're still in high school.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burger View Post
    Much like the mindless sh1theads who call him names because he doesn't agree with your opinion of the Jets. But I'll forgive you if you're still in high school.
    francessa is a POS and if you agree with him you are a self hating Jets fan.

The guy has an agenda against the Jets that is well know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    Albert Einstein once said ďThe definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
    Think about this quote for a second and ask yourself, does this quote apply to the way the Jets are being run?
    Do you want to give John Idzik a day o the job before you spew you foolish garbage.

Go whine somewhere else.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    With such contempt in his voice!! You'd think he would want to give a look at Idzik's credentials before he starts running his mouth...
    Just a reminder.

The fat man, when he ranted about the Tanny firing, said it NEVAH WORKS when a team hires a coach before a GM.

That's right. Never works.

Never mind that Carroll was hired before the Seattle GM, and that team is stacked and wins.

Never works, right Fatman?

Who cares what a guy that ill-informed has to say?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canadianjetsfan View Post
    Albert Einstein once said ďThe definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
    Think about this quote for a second and ask yourself, does this quote apply to the way the Jets are being run?
    Forget the fact that Idzik has a strong business background:

Idzik played and knows football.

Tanny did not play and does not know football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Lets be honest. After all that has gone over the last two years, one can understand Mike's issue with this pick. Factor in that some of the GM's who went before our choice, were definitely high end personal people, one should give Mike some credit. Having said that, I am hopeful that he is a great executive who will surround himself with top notch evaluators.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Can someone cue 32green's favorite gif?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Francessa will never shut his bias pie hole.

I don't understand why the lot of you continue to boost his ratings.

It's like someone gave SAR I a radio show.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    being that most jets fans hate this fat slob, all the jets fans in the tri state area should head to bar a in belmar in the summer when he does he show from down there, and heckel him while he tries to do his show.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's fair to say the jury's out. What I Hope more than anything is that he believes in bang for the buck. The NFL is the hard cap league. There is no getting around it. Tanny and Rex doled out stupid deals. Therefore, the Flynn deal worries me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Can someone cue 32green's favorite gif?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    this one??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Francessa will never shut his bias pie hole.

I don't understand why the lot of you continue to boost his ratings.

It's like someone gave SAR I a radio show.
    Mike Francesa is close with Mike Tannenbaum and scores of NFL insiders going back 20+ years.

I think I'd trust his take on the situation a wee bit more than a bunch of fanboy's on the Homer Strip.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mike Francesa is close with Mike Tannenbaum and scores of NFL insiders going back 20+ years.

I think I'd trust his take on the situation a wee bit more than a bunch of fanboy's on the Homer Strip.

SAR I
    Precisely. The rage on Mike is just a manifestation of the failures of our franchise. People, grow up.