Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cimini, Myers rips the John Idzik hire....did you expect anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Yes very transparent attack by Myers. I wanted to cut him some slack because he did a good job presenting Curtis Martin's case to HOF committee but this just isn't right. I guess some of these guys just can't help themselves.
    I lost all respect for Myers once he wrote an article attacking Rex for his reaction in front of the media after the Manish 'unnamed source says Rex wants to be fired" story.

So his troll buddy writes a story attacking Rex on a Thursday

Rex responds to it on a Friday.

Myers attacks Rex for his response in a column immediately following that Friday.

Could it be any more transparent that these NYDNTMZ guys are not fair minded journalists?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Predictable.

The NY Sports Media, and select JI Posters, will hate the move regardless of who we hire, sign or employ. They'll alwasy be "bad choices, we coulda done better" because tat way, they can always complain about how they "were rght" about it later. They root for failure, enjoy it more than wins, and wallow in it for the attention it brings them when they extoll thier wisdom about it.
    I'm as SOJF as they come and I'm just ecstatic for no other reason than it wasn't Scott Cohen.

Like any organization in dire need of a change of process, this hire should at least do that. Infuse a new view, cut emotional ties to prior decisions and turn the page.

I hope he is the guy and he definitely deserves our support.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    They're paying Holmes like a top-10 receiver; any personnel man worth his stopwatch will tell you he's not even in the top 20.
    The only thing that was spot on in this article.

Any other exec would have given Sanchez and Harris that money too, coming off their 09 and 10 seasons. Sanchez was our franchise QB, and the Giants had their radar on Harris, and would have paid him more.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 01-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.

I'll be first to say that two years ago I was right there with everyone else ripping 'ol dick semeni apart for his Jet Bashing nonsense.

However, the guy has tempered much of his crap this year and actual was readable IMHO.

There are definitely much more knowledgable writers, but dick was ok this year ... I year when piling on would have been the easiest way to make a buck, he chose not to do that.

Anyway .. I feel like a lot of guys here establish an opinion and don't deviate regardless of the situation on the ground.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

When I read threads like this, I have to remind myself that at least 60% of the Jets fans on this discussion forum have never known the team to be anything other than a playoff contender. Anyone under the age of 30 only knows the Jets post-Parcells, and that means averaging 9 wins per season for 15 seasons when we have a healthy starting quarterback.

Rich Cimini, Gary Myers, Mark Cannizaro, Steve Serby, Mike Lupica, and Mike Francesa have been covering this team since the early 1980s. Not only do they know a thing or two about our team, but unlike all of these newb 'writers' with their blogs they have deep connections to the NFL and the Jets as a franchise.

What many of you view as negativity is, in fact, truth. These guys are not piling on the Jets, they just know a thing or two about what's going on. In fact, I challenge any of you to copy and paste an article from any of these writers during the past 15 years where they were flat out wrong. I'd be surprised if you could even come up with one or two articles out of the thousands that these Jets experts have written that weren't correct.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    When I read threads like this, I have to remind myself that at least 60% of the Jets fans on this discussion forum have never known the team to be anything other than a playoff contender. Anyone under the age of 30 only knows the Jets post-Parcells, and that means averaging 9 wins per season for 15 seasons when we have a healthy starting quarterback.

Rich Cimini, Gary Myers, Mark Cannizaro, Steve Serby, Mike Lupica, and Mike Francesa have been covering this team since the early 1980s. Not only do they know a thing or two about our team, but unlike all of these newb 'writers' with their blogs they have deep connections to the NFL and the Jets as a franchise.

What many of you view as negativity is, in fact, truth. These guys are not piling on the Jets, they just know a thing or two about what's going on. In fact, I challenge any of you to copy and paste an article from any of these writers during the past 15 years where they were flat out wrong. I'd be surprised if you could even come up with one or two articles out of the thousands that these Jets experts have written that weren't correct.

SAR I
    Agreed. The kind of optimistic enthusiasm many of the posters bring is nice, it's refreshing but we saw it when Walton. Coslett, Carroll came in under the guise of WE ARE JETS FANS, always positive.

Well...here we are, 2013 , perhaps one home playoff game in what 15 years?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed. The kind of optimistic enthusiasm many of the posters bring is nice, it's refreshing but we saw it when Walton. Coslett, Carroll came in under the guise of WE ARE JETS FANS, always positive.

Well...here we are, 2013 , perhaps one home playoff game in what 15 years?
    I can't believe after what they witnessed in 2011 and 2012 that they even remotely can think we're headed in the right direction.

Optimism is one thing, ignoring the obvious something very different.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I can't believe after what they witnessed in 2011 and 2012 that they even remotely can think we're headed in the right direction.

Optimism is one thing, ignoring the obvious something very different.

SAR I
    The truth hurts... with that said, I just as soon prefer to be optimistic. Some changes have been made and if you just look at the Woody era we are something like 5-4 in playoff games. Some of us are not interested in just moaning, complaining and being generally negative... I am not going to be any less disappointed with a losing season regardless of whether I choose to be optimistic of negative... New GM, some coaching changes... I just as soon wish and hope for the best!!!!

Some posters take a universally negative opinion on new moves before a single front office move, playcall or down.

As posted in another thread:

Since 1997, the year Parcells took over, as my starting year.

i.e. The "New" Era of the New York Jets.

In that period, the Jets rank 12th in the NFL in Wins with 134.

In our Division, Pats are obvious at #1 with 178
    Miami are 18th with 127
    Buffalo is 25th with 109

Over the same period, playoff games, the Jets are 9th in total playoff games (14) and 9th in playoff game wins (7 wins)

In our Division, again, Pats obvious #1 with 26 playoff games and #1 with 18 wins.
    Miami are 18th with 9 playoff games (only 3 wins, ranking 21st)
    Buffalo is 31st, with 2 playoff games (and no wins, ranking last in the NFL)

i.e. in Wins and playoffs, the Jets are (since 1997) a fringe Top 10 NFL Franchise.

Yes, you read that right.

The self-flaggelating Same Old Jets Fan is overdone. We're not the Jets of the 70's, the early and lte 80's or the early 90's, which WAS a joke of a franchise most of that time, which was a losing franchise most of that time, which was not exactly competative most of that time.

The entire modern era of the Jets, over 15 years now, we are a very competative, top 10 NFL Franchise.

Put simply, while we havn't won a Super Bowl as yet, there is no automatic curse that bars us from it, nor are we a dregs of the league with no chance to get near success such as it.

A healthy cynicism is all well and good. Overdoing it, and over stating it, for effect and attention is just boring. No one wants to hang out with the guy wallowing in his own self-pity and negativity for 40+ years....

Some posters take a universally negative opinion on new moves before a single front office move, playcall or down.

As posted in another thread:

Since 1997, the year Parcells took over, as my starting year.

i.e. The "New" Era of the New York Jets.

Miami are 18th with 127
    Buffalo is 25th with 109

Over the same period, playoff games, the Jets are 9th in total playoff games (14) and 9th in playoff game wins (7 wins)

In our Division, again, Pats obvious #1 with 26 playoff games and #1 with 18 wins.
    Miami are 18th with 9 playoff games (only 3 wins, ranking 21st)
    Buffalo is 31st, with 2 playoff games (and no wins, ranking last in the NFL)

i.e. in Wins and playoffs, the Jets are (since 1997) a fringe Top 10 NFL Franchise.

Yes, you read that right.

The self-flaggelating Same Old Jets Fan is overdone. We're not the Jets of the 70's, the early and lte 80's or the early 90's, which WAS a joke of a franchise most of that time, which was a losing franchise most of that time, which was not exactly competative most of that time.

The entire modern era of the Jets, over 15 years now, we are a very competative, top 10 NFL Franchise.

Put simply, while we havn't won a Super Bowl as yet, there is no automatic curse that bars us from it, nor are we a dregs of the league with no chance to get near success such as it.

A healthy cynicism is all well and good. Overdoing it, and over stating it, for effect and attention is just boring. No one wants to hang out with the guy wallowing in his own self-pity and negativity for 40+ years....

fair post. Seriously. But.....

How many second place trophys do they give out?

For that matter we haven't even been second in 43 years.

fair post. Seriously. But.....

How many second place trophys do they give out?

For that matter we haven't even been second in 43 years.
    I assure you that I know where you are coming from... Heck if my father was not internet illiterate, I would think he was you... But lets be realistic here, most of the negative posters on this site are Jets fans. You root for the team, you care about the team, you bleed green!!! We are all in the same boat it is just that some fans manage their feeling in different ways. The positive and negative guys annoy one another because misery loves company and regardless of our individual perspectives, we are all miserable fans because we have not seen a Jets Superbowl Victory since 1969.

Jets Insider VIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    The truth hurts... with that said, I just as soon prefer to be optimistic. Some changes have been made and if you just look at the Woody era we are something like 5-4 in playoff games. Some of us are not interested in just moaning, complaining and being generally negative... I am not going to be any less disappointed with a losing season regardless of whether I choose to be optimistic of negative... New GM, some coaching changes... I just as soon wish and hope for the best!!!!
    AGREED!!! I have been a Jets fan since 1960. I love the Jets and always will. I get down from time to time with mediocrity and futility. But I say my piece and move on. I refuse to let negativity consume me. I have been down because of this season and the clown act I feel WRECKS brings to the team. I do not care for Sanchez as our QB and want him gone! yet the hiring of a new GM and OC lifted my spirits and I am hoping for a brighter future. Heck I have been doing that since 1960 and I hope that our time is coming soon! What amuses me more then anything are some of the hypocrites I see on this board. One day they attack anyone who might have a down view of the Jets. The next day they are downing the Jets themselves. That way they are always running with the "in" crowd. At least with one negative nabob we all know what negatives he will say about the Jets and we can all have a good laugh. At least he is constantly negative under the guise of whatever he wants to call it.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 01-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I have been a Jets fan since 1960. I love the Jets and always will. I get down from time to time with mediocrity and futility. But I say my piece and move on. I refuse to let negativity consume me. I have been down because of this season and the clown act I feel WRECKS brings to the team. I do not care for Sanchez as our QB and want him gone! yet the hiring of anew GM and OC lifted my spirits and I am hoping for a brighter future. heck I have been doing that since 1960. What amuses me more then anything are some of the hypocrites I see on this board. One day they attack anyone who might have a down view of the Jets. The next day they are downing the Jets themselves. That way they are always running with the "in" crowd. At least with one negative nabob we all know what he will say about the Jets and we can all have a good laugh. At least he is constantly negative under the guise of whatever he wants to call it.
    I keep telling myself that all we go through as fans is what will make it so sweet "if" the Jets lift that Lombardi trophy in our lifetime!!!!

I assure you that I know where you are coming from... Heck if my father was not internet illiterate, I would think he was you... But lets be realistic here, most of the negative posters on this site are Jets fans. You root for the team, you care about the team, you bleed green!!! We are all in the same boat it is just that some fans manage their feeling in different ways. The positive and negative guys annoy one another because misery loves company and regardless of our individual perspectives, we are all miserable fans because we have not seen a Jets Superbowl Victory since 1969.
    I assure you.. I LOVE being a JETS fan. I live in the south. I have a JETS towel on my golf bag, JETS cap every Saturday in a private southern golf club. I have JETS sticker on my car. In the south.

Doesn't mean I have to stay silent over Bullhsit moves like Tebow, Braylon, Vlad, etc.....

Great teams are not by accident. they repeat. PATS, GIANTS, PITT etc...

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with you. IMO life is too short to be consumed with negativity over a game! Some of these guys are just full of themslves and want everyone to be negative. I feel bad that they feel that way but I do not want to be negative everyday of my life. Hope springs eternal and whoever does not like it can kiss my butt!

Jets Insider VIP
    I keep telling myself that all we go through as fans is what will make it so sweet "if" the Jets lift that Lombardi trophy in our lifetime!!!!
    I am getting up in age. I worry that I might not see that day! But I will never give up hope that we will win aSuper Bowl again! I am as critical as some of these fans over issues like the clown act by WRECKS and Sanchez' regression and even sharing the stadium with the hated gi-aints! I do come here to vent from time to time like others do. But I refuse to let negativity consume me. I'd rathetr believe that we will turn it around and win a Lombardi.

What some of these all-knowing fans forget to say is that for decades the PATRIOTS were considered AFL/NFL jokes. The Gi-aints were more popular in NE then they were! The Steelers were the subject of many jokes. The 49ers were also losers for years. Then one day it all changed for them! If it happend for them , why not us? Now I am sure the negative nellies will have some snide remarks to say but I firmly believe it will happen! I just hope I live long enough to see it! But I will never stop being a Jets fan nor will I make a jerk out of myself with constant negativity under the guise of being realistic.

I assure you.. I LOVE being a JETS fan. I live in the south. I have a JETS towel on my golf bag, JETS cap every Saturday in a private southern golf club. I have JETS sticker on my car. In the south.

Doesn't mean I have to stay silent over Bullhsit moves like Tebow, Braylon, Vlad, etc.....

Great teams are not by accident. they repeat. PATS, GIANTS, PITT etc...
    Doesn't bother me... I just laugh at us calling each other out over how we decide to root for our team. I admit I have been guilty of it at times. Emotions run high, particularly during the season and we all need to vent. Typically it is either on the team or each other when it comes to this board!

Cimini also thought that the Jets should have hired Jerry Angelo, that would have been a good move by Cimini's standards.

Miami are 18th with 127
    Buffalo is 25th with 109

You are very selective with the stats.

Over last 20 seasons, 20th in Wins, 12th in playoff games. Low end of mediocre over 20 seasons.

Last 10 seasons, 19th in Wins, 9th in playoff games. Low end of mediocre over 10 seasons.

Last 5 seasons, 13th in Wins, 6th in playoff games. High end of mediocre over 5 seasons.

6 of the 14 playoff games over the last 20 years were in 2 seasons, and that was boosted by the fact that they can't ever get a bye.

How's this for a stat: 7 home playoff games over the last 45 years, 2nd worst of all teams that have been around that long, behind only the Lions. Here are some teams that have more home playoff games in their history than the Jets: CIN, NO, CLE, SEA.

In the last 25 seasons, the Jets are tied for the fewest home playoff games (2) among all NFL teams with Detroit and Houston -- a team that came into the league in 2002.

I have had season tickets for 13 seasons and have been to 1 home playoff game, half as many as a similar Jaguars fan.

Not good.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

I look at it this way:

I'm a fan, I'm bought in for 60 years of my life, I'm a season ticket holder, you know the drill.

But there are some offseasons that make you feel good and some offseasons that make you feel bad. This one is all-time bad. Because it's not just the roster getting older and needing rebuilding. I'm good with that. In retrospect, we've had a good 15 year run, a legit chance to do something. Sucks that we didn't, but we were a good team for many many years.

The issue isn't the roster, isn't a 2-3 year rebuild. The issue is that our owner isn't thinking rationally and set a whole set of wheels in motion when he fired the GM, retained the HC, created a lame-duck situation, made us the last franchise that any GM candidate would want to work for, became the only franchise to eschew a personnel-first guy and went after a cap-first guy.

So, yeah, I will support the team. But no, I can't be optimistic about the team. Those can be two separate things, and a feeling I haven't had to have since the Kotite days. I want us to win, but I know we won't. I want the new guy to succeed, but I know he can't in this situation.

I wish and hope for the best, but I know it won't end well. It seems that some fans can project positivity, that's cool. I just can't yet. As a Jets fan, haven't been in that hopeless situation since 1996.

SAR I