Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

Probably the best of the "name" candidates that were left. Obviously, we didn't want to go with an unknown and wanted somebody with a decent track record at OC after the Sporano disaster. I don't love it, but I'm higher on it than I was with the Sporano hire. If he's running WCO, Sanchez has to go (he does anyway), he simply does not have anything close to the accuracy required for the type of offense.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    History does not tell us that my friend. There are plenty of the of cords and HC's who have done above average (read top 15) without a ton of talent. He won a SB with Farve on a loaded team, $hit the bed in Detroit, and took shelter under Reid's shadow for several years. He was handed the keys to the so called dream team, after Reid lost his mind and was tossing the ball 60 times a game, and did nothing. Most of the record breaking achievements were organizational records.

Sure Belly had a bad run with ONE organization, but was a winner every well else. Even when Brady went down.

It never too early to hate a bad hire! Especially, when its done before the new GM is in the building.
    When Brady went down the Patriots didn't even make the playoffs. Yes, 11-5, but in a very polarized AFC in which 11-5 didn't get you a playoff spot.

You need an elite QB in this league to win the Superbowl.

2011 E. Manning
    2010 Rodgers
    2009 Brees
    2008 Roethlisberger
    2007 E. Manning
    2006 P. Manning
    2005 Roethlisberger
    2004 Brady
    2003 Brady
    2002 Brad Smith <---------- Can it happen? Yes.
    2001 Brady
    2000 Dilfer <--------- Both 2002 and 2000 were record defenses. We don't have that.
    1999 Warner
    1998 Elway <-----------TD factor as well. We don't have a running game right now
    1997 Elway
    1996 Favre

We need a QB. Can Sanchez improve? Sure, anyone can. History with him tells us no.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Which with out limited talent at WR could be an asset.
    And not accurately describe the Eagles offense

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Surprised at the hate for this hire. He's had a ton of success developing QBs and scoring points. Most of that was with Andy Reid (which scares me a little) but his resume (outside of a HC stint in Detroit which was a disaster) is pretty damn good.
    don't be surprised no matter who was hired people would be complaining.

Jets Insider VIP
    So we finally get a respected offensive mind who doesn't want to constantly "ground and pound" you like it's 1962...and people are still complaining?

LOL

You guys could have Scarlett Johanson sitting on your face and you'd complain about it being too chilly in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Or Eagles Mike Vick.
    I hope not. No more retreads of that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So we finally get a respected offensive mind who doesn't want to constantly "ground and pound" you like it's 1962...and people are still complaining?

LOL

You guys could have Scarlett Johanson sitting on your face and you'd complain about it being too chilly in the room.
    LOL. I wouldn't know what room I was in if that ever happened.

All League
    I like this hire because it guarantees Sanchez will ride the pine. His accuracy will never cut it for the WCO.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Which with out limited talent at WR could be an asset.
    Wouldn't hurt to have Celek and Westbrook.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    When Brady went down the Patriots didn't even make the playoffs. Yes, 11-5, but in a very polarized AFC in which 11-5 didn't get you a playoff spot.

2011 E. Manning
    2010 Rodgers
    2009 Brees
    2008 Roethlisberger
    2007 E. Manning
    2006 P. Manning
    2005 Roethlisberger
    2004 Brady
    2003 Brady
    2001 Brady
    2000 Dilfer <--------- Both 2002 and 2000 were record defenses. We don't have that.
    1999 Warner
    1998 Elway <-----------TD factor as well. We don't have a running game right now
    1997 Elway
    1996 Favre

We need a QB. Can Sanchez improve? Sure, anyone can. History with him tells us no.
    I knew we should have never let him go to the Bills.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

LOL

+100000000

I would only complain once she got up.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

2011 E. Manning
    2010 Rodgers
    2009 Brees
    2008 Roethlisberger
    2007 E. Manning
    2006 P. Manning
    2005 Roethlisberger
    2004 Brady
    2003 Brady
    2001 Brady
    1999 Warner
    1997 Elway
    1996 Favre

2002 was Brad Johnson not Brad Smith.

Brad Smith is running the wildcat for the Bills right now - former Jet, remember?
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-18-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Although Pep Hamilton seems to be fading from the mix, two more names have surfaced in the Jets search for an offensive coordinator: Former Browns coach Pat Shurmur and Saints QB coach Joe Lombardi.

Shurmur is interviewing with the team today, according to the Daily News. Lombardi came in on Wednesday, a person familiar with the situation confirmed. ESPN first reported the news.

We had Lombardi in the fold for our original list of possible OC candidates and it's easy to see why.

During his tenure as QB coach, Drew Brees as completed almost 70 percent of his passes while hurling 113 touchdowns. Plus, as former Jets OC Tony Sparano likes to note, the Saints do a lot of interesting things with the run game when the offense is firing on all cylinders too, so it's not like Ryan would have to abandon the ground game completely.

With Shurmur, the Jets would be looking at a candidate who has never had a top 15 offense in total points as a head coach or offensive coordinator. The 2010 Rams were closest at No. 19, but the 2009 Rams were dead last. He has not had a top-20 finish in total yards, either.

However, he does come in fresh off some head coaching experience and, by all accounts, did a serviceable job with Brandon Weeden in Cleveland (14 TDs, 17 INTs, 58 percent completion rate).

All League
    11 years as OC. 8 years those teams were top 10 in scoring, 7 years top 10 in yardage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    I like this hire because it guarantees Sanchez will ride the pine. His accuracy will never cut it for the WCO.
    Exactly. I've moved on to who we can get to replace Sanchez. The bottom line is the complaining would have come regardless.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    11 years as OC. 8 years those teams were top 10 in scoring, 7 years top 10 in yardage.
    Which goes back to my original post on the subject:

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan
    I guess I am missing something here, he may not have done much as a HC but Mornhinweg's resume as an OC looks pretty damn impressive to me.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Which goes back to my original post on the subject:
    Yeah and you gotta take anything Philly fans say about him with a grain of salt...

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    How about playoffs, and get your cold weather gear out playoff games, cause it's here.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets hired Marty Mornhinweg as offensive coordinator.

Mornhinweg spent the past seven seasons as Andy Reid's offensive coordinator in Philadelphia. He will replace Tony Sparano's spitball offense with a West Coast, pass-first system that will be very different from what the Jets have run in recent years. Mornhinweg's hire will be less impactful than the offensive roster moves the Jets make this offseason. They need better players. If Michael Vick is released by the Eagles, as expected, it will be interesting to see whether he reunites with Mornhinweg in New York. The NY Daily News reported in mid-December that Jets head coach Rex Ryan "loves" Vick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...e-jets-offense
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-18-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    How about playoffs, and get your cold weather gear out playoff games, cause it's here.
    You do know Lincoln Financial is an outdoor field, right?