Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    IT WASN'T HIS OFFENSE!!!!!!

Everyone is praising what he did in Philly, but it was Reid's show. This the the equaivlaent of buff. Getting excited now that they have Pettine because of how the jets ranked the past four years. He was a coordinator in tittleand totally comfortable sitting in Reid's shadow for nearly 10 years. WTF is there to get so excited about here. He's not shades!?!?
    He's been in the WCO his whole life

One of his high school coaches was Mike Holmgren, who later coached the Green Bay Packers to a Super Bowl win. As a prep standout at Oak Grove High School, Mornhinweg guided his team to a championship and was named Northern California Player of the Year his senior year.

Then he got a big break. Holmgren, his former high school coach, hired him as offensive assistant/quality control coach for the Green Bay Packers in 1995. After one season he was promoted to quarterbacks coach, tutoring Brett Favre as the team went on to win Super Bowl XXXI. With Mornhinweg and Favre working together, the star quarterback won his second MVP award. Both earned shiny new Super Bowl rings in 1997, and the former Griz had earned a reputation as an NFL quarterback guru.

Mornhinweg then served as offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers from 1997-00, working with weapons such as quarterback Steve Young and the NFL's all-time-leading receiver, Jerry Rice. Then late in his 49er tenure, Mornhinweg helped groom Jeff Garcia, an import from the Canadian Football League, into one of the NFL's top passing threats.

http://www2.umt.edu/urelations/mainhall/302/detroit.htm

I'm confused. Wouldn't the GM play a major part in interviewing and choosing an OC? Why hire the same day? Who's calling the shots then?

Thumbs up

Will look even better if foles is somehow on this roster next year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    This is not even close to Pettine.... from 1997 - 2000 he was the offensive coordinator of the 49ers under Steve Mariucci... That led to him becoming a head coach... Maybe his entire career has been built around running Mariucci and Reid's offense but to completely disregard the success he has had when acting as OC is .....
    True, kind of, well no... The lions hired Marty and then fired him after a terrible record. He was replaced by mariucci when it became apparent that he was the brains behind the offense.

Take it a step further, he was even lower on the totem pole in green bay when he was under both mucc and Reid. Reid took him in Philly because he knew he wouldn't be a threat since he would be perceived as one of Reid's guys. Hes never been seriously considered since - at least from what I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    I'm confused. Wouldn't the GM play a major part in interviewing and choosing an OC? Why hire the same day? Who's calling the shots then?
    And you know that Idzik didn't recommend Mornhinweg how?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He's been in the WCO his whole life

One of his high school coaches was Mike Holmgren, who later coached the Green Bay Packers to a Super Bowl win. As a prep standout at Oak Grove High School, Mornhinweg guided his team to a championship and was named Northern California Player of the Year his senior year.

Then he got a big break. Holmgren, his former high school coach, hired him as offensive assistant/quality control coach for the Green Bay Packers in 1995. After one season he was promoted to quarterbacks coach, tutoring Brett Favre as the team went on to win Super Bowl XXXI. With Mornhinweg and Favre working together, the star quarterback won his second MVP award. Both earned shiny new Super Bowl rings in 1997, and the former Griz had earned a reputation as an NFL quarterback guru.

Mornhinweg then served as offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers from 1997-00, working with weapons such as quarterback Steve Young and the NFL's all-time-leading receiver, Jerry Rice. Then late in his 49er tenure, Mornhinweg helped groom Jeff Garcia, an import from the Canadian Football League, into one of the NFL's top passing threats.

http://www2.umt.edu/urelations/mainhall/302/detroit.htm
    I'd hardly give credit to someone for coming in as a position coach and helping a player win his second MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I have a really hard time thinking he would have time to do his due diligence in hiring an OC. Only so much he can do before being hired.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    No one here can, but if he did, why not wait for him to make it his first announcement.

I'd hardly give credit to someone for coming in as a position coach and helping a player win his second MVP.
    Way to look at one thing and disregard his career and mentors

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    I have a really hard time thinking he would have time to do his due diligence in hiring an OC. Only so much he can do before being hired.
    Maybe he knows him. Maybe he doesn't care who the OC is as he just plans to get rid of Rex in a year anyway.

True, kind of, well no... The lions hired Marty and then fired him after a terrible record. He was replaced by mariucci when it became apparent that he was the brains behind the offense.

Take it a step further, he was even lower on the totem pole in green bay when he was under both mucc and Reid. Reid took him in Philly because he knew he wouldn't be a threat since he would be perceived as one of Reid's guys. Hes never been seriously considered since - at least from what I can tell.
    How much better did Mariucci do in Detroit? You going to blast the guy because he was on Green Bay's staff as he was getting his professional career going. If we hired Lombardi from the Saints would that make people happy. Could that be a similar scenario to what you state?

Whether we as fans like it or not this was the best we could do if you look at guys with existing OC experience. That is the case because Woody wants to keep Rex. It is a domino effect from keeping Rex around. You let a HC pick his staff. Maybe we get lucky and Woody is right. Maybe Rex turns into a heck of a head coach. Only time will tell... If they fall flat on their faces Rex his fired in the next year or two. Then our new GM will get the chance to build his own HC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Originally Posted by Untouchable
    I like it

Mornhinweg runs a traditional west coast offense.

Which means not only no more wildcat or goofy ass motion all over the place before the snap, but it also virtually guarantees that Sanchez won't be our QB next year.

The west coast offense is predicated around accuracy and quick decision making, two of Sanchez's weakest areas.

Welcome to New York, Matt Flynn.

I hope that you are right! I am sick of Suckchez and his illogical fans on this board.
    Dream on folks, it will be a competition heavily weighted in Sanchez's favor. Rex ain't given up.

Veteran
    Way to look at one thing and disregard his career and mentors
    I have no problem with his mentor careers, it's him I'm not excited about. Everyone from that green bay era went on to bigger and better achievements on their own - except Marty. He will be on his own here because lord knows Rex is not going to help out in any creditable way on offense. We needed someone who has some stand alone success and/or a record of developing talent and getting the most out of a below average roster. That is not Marty.

This is why they interviewed both positions at the same time. So that they could get both out of the way quickly and and get to more staff hirings and scouting.

I imagine that the selection and agreement to Marty was part of the discussions when Idzik was hired.

I like this hire of Marty. It shows that Rex meant it when he said he wanted to ditch the G&P.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    How much better did Mariucci do in Detroit? You going to blast the guy because he was on Green Bay's staff as he was getting his professional career going. If we hired Lombardi from the Saints would that make people happy. Could that be a similar scenario to what you state?

Whether we as fans like it or not this was the best we could do if you look at guys with existing OC experience. That is the case because Woody wants to keep Rex. It is a domino effect from keeping Rex around. You let a HC pick his staff. Maybe we get lucky and Woody is right. Maybe Rex turns into a heck of a head coach. Only time will tell... If they fall flat on their faces Rex his fired in the next year or two. Then our new GM will get the chance to build his own HC!!!
    But mucc did have success on his own running the offense and team in San Fran.

I do agree with your second point in entirety!

I have no problem with his mentor careers, it's him I'm not excited about. Everyone from that green bay era went on to bigger and better achievements on their own - except Marty. He will be on his own here because lord knows Rex is not going to help out in any creditable way on offense. We needed someone who has some stand alone success and/or a record of developing talent and getting the most out of a below average roster. That is not Marty.
    Who was your OC choice that fits your criteria?

So you don't like him because he bombed out as a HC in Detroit? I'd hardly rule the guy out for bombing in Detroit as a HC. Many others have bombed there as HCs and go on to prove they are better fit as a Coordinator or position coach.

Veteran
    Who was your OC choice that fits your criteria?

So you don't like him because he bombed out as a HC in Detroit? I'd hardly rule the guy out for bombing in Detroit as a HC. Many others have bombed there as HCs and go on to prove they are better fit as a Coordinator or position coach.
    Fair point, but I just don't like the fact that he never had standalone success anywhere else. The hc was always a WCO guy.

I was a norv guy.

Fair point, but I just don't like the fact that he never had standalone success anywhere else. The hc was always a WCO guy.

I was a norv guy.
    Norv was never coming here.

By the way, the Browns are going to have to go get WRs.

I was a norv guy.
    Me too. But he was never coming to NYJ.

Veteran
    Me too. But he was never coming to NYJ.
    I knew it to. I just keep going back to the idea that coach's don't count against the cap