Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    I'm confused. Wouldn't the GM play a major part in interviewing and choosing an OC? Why hire the same day? Who's calling the shots then?
    Rex calls the shots with hiring his staff. Woody said as much.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    But mucc did have success on his own running the offense and team in San Fran.

I do agree with your second point in entirety!
    My thought is simply this... Woody decided that he wants to commit to Rex. I don't think it is money related. He has not been a cheap owner. I think Woody really believes in what Rex brings to the table and prefers to not play musical coaches every 4 years. Continuity is something he believes in. He figures he needs a new GM... He had 10 or so years to evaluate Mike T and wants to go in a different direction.

Given the above... I think we did as good as we possibly could. Both hires are appear to be competent and from what a number of NFL people have said, our new GM is a very promising candidate... I think Woody is going to give Rex two years to get this thing turned around and barring an absolute collapse in 2013 Rex will have that chance. This is not what I would have wanted, but we are all going to see how it plays out. Anyone who thought that we would get a Gamble or Caldwell with Rex don't understand the situation. I think the report that Gamble wanted Rex gone is probably correct and is why he was dismissed from consideration. The rumor that he interviewed poorly probably hurt his chances of getting another look this year. That forced us to go the second tier route and Woody did a bunch of due diligence and found a guy who was onboard with his plan.

The only thing to get upset about here if you don't like this is Rex staying. That decision was what set the stage. Given that, I think the Jets did a nice job of filling in the parts. Only time will tell if Woody has a better feel for this than some of us fans and local media give him credit for.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha. I guess that makes sense.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Yes.

I've watched almost every one of their games since I moved down here and he has done a good job with play calling. He gets a little pass happy for my liking but I think Rex will keep that in check.

They moved the ball well and had a ton of red zone turnovers, which I blame on Vick.

I would have preferred Wisenhunt but I like this.
    He hasnt called plays since 2007 in Philly. I do not know how Rexs defense and a wco are going to get along

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    He hasnt called plays since 2007 in Philly. I do not know how Rexs defense and a wco are going to get along
    I don't understand that remark.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the end of that season and the next (07). After an average showing Reid to it back over.
    He hasnt called plays since 2007 in Philly

False.

Mornhinweg has called plays in Philly since the end of 2006...

From 2007

Paul Domowitch, of Philadelphia Daily News, reports Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg will continue to call the offensive plays next season.
    From 2011

Philadelphia Eagles defensive line coach Jim Washburn questioned offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's playcalling in Week 12 following an early Eagles interception, which led to a heated exchange between the coaches.
    From 2012 seasonReid said he was going to evalute everything -- play-calling included -- but it sounds like Mornhinweg will still call plays and Michael Vick remains the quarterback.

from 2012 season
    Last edited by Montana; 01-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My thought is simply this... Woody decided that he wants to commit to Rex. I don't think it is money related. He has not been a cheap owner. I think Woody really believes in what Rex brings to the table and prefers to not play musical coaches every 4 years. Continuity is something he believes in. He figures he needs a new GM... He had 10 or so years to evaluate Mike T and wants to go in a different direction.

Given the above... I think we did as good as we possibly could. Both hires are appear to be competent and from what a number of NFL people have said, our new GM is a very promising candidate... I think Woody is going to give Rex two years to get this thing turned around and barring an absolute collapse in 2013 Rex will have that chance. This is not what I would have wanted, but we are all going to see how it plays out. Anyone who thought that we would get a Gamble or Caldwell with Rex don't understand the situation. I think the report that Gamble wanted Rex gone is probably correct and is why he was dismissed from consideration. The rumor that he interviewed poorly probably hurt his chances of getting another look this year. That forced us to go the second tier route and Woody did a bunch of due diligence and found a guy who was onboard with his plan.

The only thing to get upset about here if you don't like this is Rex staying. That decision was what set the stage. Given that, I think the Jets did a nice job of filling in the parts. Only time will tell if Woody has a better feel for this than some of us fans and local media give him credit for.
    Don't agree. if Gamble was that hot of a commodity he would have landed a job somewhere, teams do their due diligence with any front office type candidate , no matter what the Jets said they would have interviewed Gamble and formed their own opinions. Caldwell simply used the Jets as leverage, he put himself in a situation where he's not expected to win right away and will come under much less media scrutiny. I still contend if the candidate had true confidence then the Jets job is the best position, if your going to shoot for the stars there's no better place to do it then in NY or East Rutherford

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel pretty good about this guy as OC and sanchez... I think he's done a decent job with the philly QB's over the past few years, i.e. kolb, foles, even vince young had his moments in that system. with an absolutely awful OL at that

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could be wrong but doesn't the WCO use more zone than man blocking schemes? So back to zone blocking for the OL? And does Gugs fit that as an OL coach or does he go now ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I could be wrong but doesn't the WCO use more zone than man blocking schemes? So back to zone blocking for the OL? And does Gugs fit that as an OL coach or does he go now ?
    Yes it is a zone blocking scheme in a true WCO... I assume that is where we would be going... I think Mangold is better in that scheme as opposed to what I saw from him this year vs. previous years...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It depends on the coach /OC. Walsh's WCO was more man blocking while others have been primarily zone.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reid took him in Philly because he knew he wouldn't be a threat since he would be perceived as one of Reid's guys. Hes never been seriously considered since - at least from what I can tell.

Raiders interviewed Mornhinweg for their HC spot just last year...While the Browns, Colts, and Niners were all rumored to have had interest in him as a HC at various times over that span as well.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    2002 was Brad Johnson not Brad Smith.

Brad Smith is running the wildcat for the Bills right now - former Jet, remember?
    My bad, wishful thinking.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Rex calls the shots with hiring his staff. Woody said as much.
    I do not believe that for one moment. Rex prides himself in his defense. Game in question he puts his faith in his defense. Every year Rex wants a top 5 defense,and a wco, almost always overshadows the defense. It is fast paced,quick strikes and high scoring. It put a defense very often in tough situations and it will be extremely hard for Rex to have a great defense if our WCO is producing at a high level. We also have very few parts to be successful next yr with a wco offense. We need a qb,pass catching rb,at least 2 wco wrs( I have to assume Holmes (salary ,maybe someone will need a number 2 with cap room and take him) and Kerley have to stay. I think the wco will mean we might try to trade Hill or he will drop to number 4 on depth chart. Plax is not a wco guy so he is probably gone. The o-line needs 2 guards and a tackle ( none of the guys we have are a good fit to run a wco offense). I think if some how we can afford him Keller would be a get fit. I doubt we can afford him.
    Also keep in mind Rexs defense has a ton of needs. D-line depth,linebackers,safeties .
    If Rex had a true say he would have hire a Cam Cameron ,who could do some small moves on offense and still allow Rex to re-tool his defense. I believe he are seeing Rex being de-nutted in front of us.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets wait and see. The GM hire pleases me. Not the OC...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I do not believe that for one moment. Rex prides himself in his defense. Game in question he puts his faith in his defense. Every year Rex wants a top 5 defense,and a wco, almost always overshadows the defense. It is fast paced,quick strikes and high scoring. It put a defense very often in tough situations and it will be extremely hard for Rex to have a great defense if our WCO is producing at a high level. We also have very few parts to be successful next yr with a wco offense. We need a qb,pass catching rb,at least 2 wco wrs( I have to assume Holmes (salary ,maybe someone will need a number 2 with cap room and take him) and Kerley have to stay. I think the wco will mean we might try to trade Hill or he will drop to number 4 on depth chart. Plax is not a wco guy so he is probably gone. The o-line needs 2 guards and a tackle ( none of the guys we have are a good fit to run a wco offense). I think if some how we can afford him Keller would be a get fit. I doubt we can afford him.
    Also keep in mind Rexs defense has a ton of needs. D-line depth,linebackers,safeties .
    If Rex had a true say he would have hire a Cam Cameron ,who could do some small moves on offense and still allow Rex to re-tool his defense. I believe he are seeing Rex being de-nutted in front of us.
    What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I am not happy or upset about these hires at this point. I would probably only be upset if the hires were completely wrong. The problem in NY is not just the personnel or coaches or players, it's the media, the fans, and the culture of the organization overall (maybe the water?).

Idzik needs to help change that. MM needs to help the fans forget about Sanchez circa 2012.

Rex needs to have learned from his mistakeS <----------- capital "S"

It's not happening overnight, so prepare for the long haul.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mornhinweg has nowhere to take this offense but up. Things have been so bad the past 2 seasons that getting this offense to simply sustain some drives and not finish in the bottom 25% of the NFL would be considered success.

If I'm Marty I expect to get Holmes, Hill and who knows...maybe even Braylon back. Keller was absent most of the season and a lot of the offense started to shift towards newer role players like Kerley and Powell. The entire planet thinks that Sanchez is a backup caliber QB so if Marty salvages Sanchez even just a little bit he may be deemed a success.

I'm sure he'll ask for a new offensive toy during the draft too. The Jets need so much help that maybe they trade back and grab a top TE or RB.

Expectations are low on offense, let's hope Marty does more than just meet them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said it 4 years ago, I said it last week and I'll say it again,

the wco is what Sanchez needs. great hire.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Ted_Sundquist: Taking EVERYTHING & EVERYONE interviewed into account, Marty Mornhinweg a good selection for OC of the #JETS.

@Ted_Sundquist: #MartyMornhinweg has overseen 10 Top 10 passing attacks, 9 total OFF, as an OC or QB coach. That includes 5 different QB's. #Jets
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.