Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly and thats why I keep harping on how strongly I feel that Sanchez took his last snap as a starter vs the Bills....the man sucks period....to think he can just be turned around is nuts.....Sanchez is nothing more than a backup NFL qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Oh gosh, it has only taken the community a whole month to forget just how bloody god awful our QB is. Pick any offense in the world that you like, choose any offensive guru you wish and Sanchez will stink.

He has ALWAYS been innacurate.
    He has poor pocket presence.
    He cannot find the open receiver on any given play.
    He is a walking turnover.

Can we please move on from this guy. There is no faint hope.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Yep. My list of Sanchez's problems in order of importance.

Terrible accuracy.
    Terrible pre snap reads.
    Inability to quickly make reads and get to check-downs after the snap.
    Absolutely horrendous anticipation with regard to receivers coming in and out of breaks and determining whether they will be open.
    Awful pocket and general game presence (fumbles, picks in the red zone, taking bad sacks at the worst times.)
    Did I mention accuracy?

Outside of that I think it's a go.
    He has played poorly....but since hes owed so much money we might as well try to fix him with an established QB coach....now that Cavenawfuls gone who knows....maybe hell have an Epiphany...time will tell

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    He has played poorly....but since hes owed so much money we might as well try to fix him with an established QB coach....now that Cavenawfuls gone who knows....maybe hell have an Epiphany...time will tell
    I just hope someone gets a fair shot and beating him out. Good teams don't play players because they get paid the most. Look at the Seahawks. That said.. if he comes in because the starter goes down or beats someone out and takes us to the SuperBowl I'll be getting a tattoo of Rex's wife wearing a Sanchez jersey that day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After this past season can you really see him just being given the starting job??? I just cannot see it...the man is just no good....no one is goign to risk his job by starting a QB thats not even average in the league...we have the draft and free agency....I may be in the minority but I am confident that he will nto be our starter....and he will not be the starter due to his salary....that makes no sense.....JOBS are on the line.

I just hope someone gets a fair shot and beating him out. Good teams don't play players because they get paid the most. Look at the Seahawks. That said.. if he comes in because the starter goes down or beats someone out and takes us to the SuperBowl I'll be getting a tattoo of Rex's wife wearing a Sanchez jersey that day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    After this past season can you really see him just being given the starting job??? I just cannot see it...the man is just no good....no one is goign to risk his job by starting a QB thats not even average in the league...we have the draft and free agency....I may be in the minority but I am confident that he will nto be our starter....and he will not be the starter due to his salary....that makes no sense.....JOBS are on the line.
    From your lips to god's ears.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    correct.

given the contract situation, Sanchez will in all likelihood be a Jet in 2013.

but being on the roster does not have to equal being the starter. make him earn it for the first time in his career.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Plus I think this ensures that Sanchez will not be the starter in any way, shape or form as he simply does not have anything close to the accuracy required to run the WCO
    I disagree a bit. Sanchez is very accurate on the move (ie moving pocket) and when given great protection. I think he is better suited for a WCO. Bottom line, the FO will not go into next season with the same QBs. We will draft a QB in the first 3 rounds and let him compete with Sanchez and McElroy. It's also possible they try to trade for Flynn but I think Idzik after seeing Wilson up close will want to get his own guy to groom. I am tired of trades, lets bring a young guy that's a baller.

Mornhinweig has a track record for grooming QBs. That's something we have lacked the past 4 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Valid points but please look back on the 2013 season and his play....the blatant terrible decisions...Sanchez played worse than any QB I have seen in a long time in 2013....I just do not see a turn around....I wish I felt differently but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I disagree a bit. Sanchez is very accurate on the move (ie moving pocket) and when given great protection. I think he is better suited for a WCO. Bottom line, the FO will not go into next season with the same QBs. We will draft a QB in the first 3 rounds and let him compete with Sanchez and McElroy. It's also possible they try to trade for Flynn but I think Idzik after seeing Wilson up close will want to get his own guy to groom. I am tired of trades, lets bring a young guy that's a baller.

Mornhinweig has a track record for grooming QBs. That's something we have lacked the past 4 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your wrong it makes absolute sense. If there was no salary cap then I'd agree with you . We can't just bring in a quality NFL QB without screwing the abillity to fill in other holes on this team. The only way Sanchez is not the starter is a) he get's hurt B) a rookie draft pick lights it up in TC/preseason like Russell Wilson. Cutting him throws away 17M of cap space, no one will trade unless we take back salary. Its simple NFL economics. In addition our new oC has worked wonders with other Qb's, perhaps he wanted that challenge with Sanchez.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Valid points but please look back on the 2013 season and his play....the blatant terrible decisions...Sanchez played worse than any QB I have seen in a long time in 2013....I just do not see a turn around....I wish I felt differently but I don't.
    Be honest, can any QB have been good with the offensive weapons the Jets fielded this year. A raw Stephen Hill, Holmes lost in game 3, Keller injured most of the season. Greene/Powell/McKnight as the G&P workhorses. These are some of the starters we has this year at the skill position - Clyde Gates, Mardy Gilyard, Chaz Schilens, Jeff Reuland, a hobbled Braylon Edwards. The offensive talent was putrid , Sanchez tried to make plays when none were there , instead of eating 10 sacks per game like we saw with McElroy he actually tried to make plays.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree, he was absolutely terrible. He has terrible pocket presence under pressure. Defenses have figured him out ie he folds under blitz/pressure.

My point is he will probably be on the roster competing for the starting gig. He will do better in an offense with designed roll-outs and moving pocket to give him more time to throw.

I think he has been rattled since the start of 2011 season given the bad protection, lack of power running game, and lack of receiving weapons. His confidence is shot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    what a concept...
    only four years too late
    Honestly - truly bizarre

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I believe its more Andy wants complete autonomy over his team, Marty's hands would be tied as an OC under him. Now hopefully Rex has truly learned his lesson and allows Marty to run his offense. It will only work if Rex is flexible in this area. Two seasons ago when Shotty tried to open up the offense Rex shut him down.
    Because it wasn't working. That's when Sanchez started floundering, and Schitty didn't seem to have a coherent plan as to what he was aiming towards anyway. Everyone has always accused Rex of being too hands off the offense, not too meddlesome.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Because it wasn't working. That's when Sanchez started floundering, and Schitty didn't seem to have a coherent plan as to what he was aiming towards anyway. Everyone has always accused Rex of being too hands off the offense, not too meddlesome.
    Don't confuse hands off with not having a vision on how he wanted the team to operate. He wanted a running offense that could chew the clock , keep his D fresh and win close hard fought games. The passing game scared the crap out of him for various reasons, but instead of working with his OC to come up a better plan to take advantage of his players skillsets he mandated G&P with workhorse backs like Greene/Powell.

The offense worked the first two years because the Oline played really well, they had Jones , LT and Trich , when the O talent eroded so did Rex's dream for the G&P but he stubbornly stuck with it and as a byproduct rendered Sanchez useless.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Don't confuse hands off with not having a vision on how he wanted the team to operate. He wanted a running offense that could chew the clock , keep his D fresh and win close hard fought games. The passing game scared the crap out of him for various reasons, but instead of working with his OC to come up a better plan to take advantage of his players skillsets he mandated G&P with workhorse backs like Greene/Powell.

The offense worked the first two years because the Oline played really well, they had Jones , LT and Trich , when the O talent eroded so did Rex's dream for the G&P but he stubbornly stuck with it and as a byproduct rendered Sanchez useless.
    Quoted for truth!!! This why I never wanted Rex as a head coach. The offense should be the strongest unit in you team. Most of the draft and quality free agents went to the defense. Hill is not a quality pick other than raw talent. Since Rex is the coach this year and seems like a very smart football guy, I hope he learns his lesson. Lets stay away from...run right...run left...third and 6...can you pick up a first down Sanchez, with Gilyard, Gates and Schillens?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You must not watch any football besides the Jets.
    OK, let's try this again. When Rex announced he wanted an attacking style offense, was WCO the first thing that came to mind?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, reflecting on this hire I am more stoked than the GM hire. Morningwood is an experienced OC with demonstrated success.

This could be a coup. Think about how explosive the Eagles offense was. Predicated on speed at the skill positions. We need a speed back as top priority, and obviously QB to compete. I think the WRs can be successful, especially Holmes.

Idzik, Ryan, and Mornhinwig need to be on the same page in terms of players to fit the scheme. Huge draft for us. Look out for potential Eagles players coming over too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, let's try this again. When Rex announced he wanted an attacking style offense, was WCO the first thing that came to mind?
    Have you seen Phillys offense last season? They barley run the ball.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P5IaujKxwc

Here is our new offense...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really just because you throw every down doesn't make it's opening up the offense. When the coach runs slow developing routes to the same area of the field, and the line is not blocking anyone, then you pound ball security into the qbs head, it's a recipe for disaster. How about mixing it up. I think Rex waited to long to pull the plug on that, and then went to far. Blame Tanny for holding on to that genius. It's probably to late to fix Mark, at least in live games. Maybe he needs a year or two off, and a change of scenery.