Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Does this style offense meet Rex's requirement of an 'attacking' offense? It doesn't sound like it to me.
    Does to me in this NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This hire is fine.... We need a OC with experience and not a newbie... Don't kill the guy for his failure as a head coach... Remember that he must have been doing something right as an OC to get a HC opportunity. Look at coordinators that did not work out as HC but have done very well when then went back to be a coordinator...

Haslett
    Wandstadt
    Phillips
    McDaniels
    Crennel

to name a few... Our personnel is most closely fit for this style of offense then some of the others out there... My guess is Keller gets resigned because he is a perfect fit in Marty's O. McNight would get used better than he has. Even Homes and Hill are good compliments to one another in a WCO attack along with Kerley...It wont me Montana's 49ers but I like the direction.

Further, REX gets to build his coaching staff period. The owner gave him a new lease on life... He will let him pick his own staff. If you struggle with that thought then you struggle with keeping Rex period. No shame in that but in case some of you missed it. Rex isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Barring a 4-12 season next year he will be here for 2014 too... The owner is committed to him at this point. JMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Well props to him for having the balls to take the job, there's little to no talent on our offense. Hopefully Izdik can at least add a couple playmakers and a new guard this offseason.
    with an accurate QB there might be more talent then we have been led to believe. But we do not know who will be on the team at this point. Slauson & Moore& Holmes could be gone. Hopefully Sanchez and Tebow will be gone. McKnight has got to produce or he should be gone too. But Cumberland can step up with a more accurate QB. who knows about the rugby player? Hill can produce with more experience and who knows who we sign or draft.

I am hoping that between the new GM and OC we surprise many people!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this hire

2 for 2 on hires today

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Does this style offense meet Rex's requirement of an 'attacking' offense? It doesn't sound like it to me.
    The Eagles were always extremely aggressive on offense under Mornhinweg's tenure from the games I have watched them play over the years......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The Eagles were always extremely aggressive on offense under Mornhinweg's tenure from the games I have watched them play over the years......
    Yes.

I've watched almost every one of their games since I moved down here and he has done a good job with play calling. He gets a little pass happy for my liking but I think Rex will keep that in check.

They moved the ball well and had a ton of red zone turnovers, which I blame on Vick.

I would have preferred Wisenhunt but I like this.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Mornhingweg's Accomplishments

I hadn't thought too hard about this guy, so I greeted the rumors with a general "who?", but here's the bio on his agents' web site. Obviously they are going to accentuate the positive. But there are some accomplishments here:

Marty Mornhinweg
    Offensive Coordinator, Philadelphia Eagles

Marty Mornhinweg is in his ninth season in Philadelphia and his eighth as the Eagles’ assistant head coach/offensive coordinator. Known as one of the top offensive minds in the league, Mornhinweg has put together record-setting performances for two different franchises in the role of offensive coordinator.

For the third consecutive season, Mornhinweg’s offensive troops shattered the franchise record for points scored with 439 in 2010. That total ranked 3rd in the NFL. The Eagles ranked 2nd overall in total net yards (6,230), also a franchise record. The 2010 Eagles also became the first squad in NFL history to average 4.0+ rushing yards per attempt in all 16 regular season games and finished with a franchise record and league-best 5.4 average. For his efforts, Mornhinweg earned NFL assistant coach of the year honors from Pro Football Weekly.

Mornhinweg played a huge part of the rebirth of Michael Vick in 2010. Named comeback player of the year as well as earning a Pro Bowl berth, Vick became the 2nd quarterback in NFL history to throw for 3,000+ yards (career high 3,018), rush for 500+ yards (676), and accrue a 100+ QB rating (career high 100.2) in the same season, joining Steve Young in 1992.

Since Mornhinweg took over the play-calling duties in 2006, the Eagles lead the NFL in 25-plus-yard pass plays (184) and yards per touch (8.1), rank third in total net yards (29,396), and fifth in points per game (25.2). In fact, Mornhinweg has orchestrated four of the five best scoring outputs and yardage outputs in team history.

In 2008, Mornhinweg guided QB Donovan McNabb to franchise records in yards (3,916) and completions (345), while leading the Eagles to an NFC Championship game appearance.

The Eagles offense finished 6th in the NFL in 2007 with 358.1 yards of total offense per game. RB Brian Westbrook set a franchise record with 2,104 scrimmage yards, while finishing 3rd in the NFL with 1,333 rushing yards.

Mornhinweg joined the Eagles as a senior assistant coach in 2003 after spending the previous two seasons as head coach of the Detroit Lions. From 1997-2000, he served as the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. In 1998, the 49ers became the first team since the 1941 Chicago Bears to lead the league in gross passing and rushing yards en route to a franchise-best 6,800 yards.

Mornhinweg and Andy Reid coached together as offensive assistant coaches in Green Bay from 1995-96. In 1996, Mornhinweg tutored the Packers as Brett Favre captured MVP honors in leading the team to a Super Bowl XXXI win over New England. The two also coached together at Texas-El Paso in 1987 and at Missouri in 1991.

Five quarterbacks have earned Pro Bowl honors while working under Mornhinweg: Michael Vick, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia.

In all, Mornhinweg coached on the collegiate level for 10 seasons: Northern Arizona (1998 and 1994), Missouri (1991-93), Southeast Missouri State (1989-90), Texas-El Paso (1986-87), and Montana (1985).

Born in Edmond, OK (3/29/1962), Mornhinweg was the Northern California player of the year and an all-state performer as a senior at Oak Grove HS in San Jose, CA, where he played under Cleveland Browns president and legendary coach Mike Holmgren, an assistant coach at the school.

He went on to be a four-year starter at Montana, where he established 15 passing records for the Grizzlies. Mornhinweg has been inducted into both the Grizzly Sports Hall of Fame at the University of Montana and the Oak Grove High School Hall of Fame.

Mornhinweg also was a quarterback for the 1987 Arena Football League champion Denver Dynamite before suffering a career ending knee injury.

He earned a bachelor’s degree in health and physical education from Montana and a master’s degree in health and physical education /sports administration from Texas-El Paso in 1988. He and his wife, Lindsay, have four children, two daughters Madison and Molly Lynn, and two sons, Skyler and Bobby Cade, and they reside in South Philadelphia.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

marty mornhinweg...score!

absolutely stoked about this hire...

what possible reason could someone have for not liking this guy? the guy has proven that he can groom and work with QB's as opposed to say Sporano who had next to 0 experience with skill position players...and was the assistant head coach/OC/QB coach to one of the best coaches of our generation.

Favre, McNab, Garcia, Kolb (sure as hell made him look good), Vick...

exactly what we needed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    absolutely stoked about this hire...

what possible reason could someone have for not liking this guy? the guy has proven that he can groom and work with QB's as opposed to say Sporano who had next to 0 experience with skill position players...and was the assistant head coach/OC/QB coach to one of the best coaches of our generation.

Favre, McNab, Garcia, Kolb (sure as hell made him look good), Vick...

exactly what we needed.
    I agree, excellent hire.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I agree, excellent hire.
    people ***** just to *****...now lets see if if he likes flynn enough to go get him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would appear that Mornhinweg will be hired with the blessings of Idzik.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we are able to get a QB (Please God, Matt Flynn) and bring Braylon back, with a healthy Holmes to go along with Kerley and Butterfingers Hill (just kidding, hopefully he will hold on to the ball more) we might just be able to have an NFL caliber offense. I would also like to bring in true all purpose back ala Leon Washington if that were possible. I think that Bilal Powell and or McKnight (If he could ever stay healthy) could thrive in the WCO because they both can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Don't know if we plan on resigning Keller but he might actually be a very good fit in the WCO as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Dumb question, and maybe it's already been answered somewhere.. but I thought Reid had been getting blasted for his play calling in Philly - all pass, no run. Was it Mornhinweg calling the plays? According to his wiki, he called them in 2006 and 2007...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IT WASN'T HIS OFFENSE!!!!!!

Everyone is praising what he did in Philly, but it was Reid's show. This the the equaivlaent of buff. Getting excited now that they have Pettine because of how the jets ranked the past four years. He was a coordinator in tittleand totally comfortable sitting in Reid's shadow for nearly 10 years. WTF is there to get so excited about here. He's not shades!?!?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    IT WASN'T HIS OFFENSE!!!!!!

Everyone is praising what he did in Philly, but it was Reid's show. This the the equaivlaent of buff. Getting excited now that they have Pettine because of how the jets ranked the past four years. He was a coordinator in tittleand totally comfortable sitting in Reid's shadow for nearly 10 years. WTF is there to get so excited about here. He's not shades!?!?
    This is not even close to Pettine.... from 1997 - 2000 he was the offensive coordinator of the 49ers under Steve Mariucci... That led to him becoming a head coach... Maybe his entire career has been built around running Mariucci and Reid's offense but to completely disregard the success he has had when acting as OC is .....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    This is not even close to Pettine.... from 1997 - 2000 he was the offensive coordinator of the 49ers under Steve Mariucci... That led to him becoming a head coach... Maybe his entire career has been built around running Mariucci and Reid's offense but to completely disregard the success he has had when acting as OC is .....
    +1 eagle website states he took over playcalling duties in philly in 2006..http://legacy.philadelphiaeagles.com...nhinweg_1.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Don't like the hire. Sorry.
    Borgo, not a bad hire..he's a pretty good developer of QBs and a good OC. He's not Norv Turner as an OC but he's not bad..

It'll be interesting if Nick Foles can find his way to Jets land..I'd offer a pick and Tebow to Philly for Foles...Tebow could at least backup Vick for Chip Kelly

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the end of that season and the next (07). After an average showing Reid to it back over. It was Reid who traded Mcnabb and rejuvenated Vicks career. Marty has not called plays in five years and was not asked to come to kc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Or Eagles Mike Vick.
    Doesn't he fit Chip Kelly's offense better?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    If we are able to get a QB (Please God, Matt Flynn) and bring Braylon back, with a healthy Holmes to go along with Kerley and Butterfingers Hill (just kidding, hopefully he will hold on to the ball more) we might just be able to have an NFL caliber offense. I would also like to bring in true all purpose back ala Leon Washington if that were possible. I think that Bilal Powell and or McKnight (If he could ever stay healthy) could thrive in the WCO because they both can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Don't know if we plan on resigning Keller but he might actually be a very good fit in the WCO as well.
    We act like Matt fkin Flynn should be in Canton. The guy was a below average QB in college drafted in the 7th round. Had 1 great game in a high powered GB offense and now everyone thinks he's our savior.