Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Which goes back to my original post on the subject:
    Yep, totally agree. Outside of his Lions days, his résumé is as good as you could hope for, in my opinion. I think outside of RB and QB, WCO is probably a great fit for the current roster, too. RB and QB were problems regardless of system.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    How about playoffs, and get your cold weather gear out playoff games, cause it's here.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to imply honestly. Are you saying his offenses failed in the playoffs and cold weather?

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    As @caplannfl reported, ex-Eagles OC Marty Morhinweg will replace Tony Sparano as Jets offensive coordinator.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You do know Lincoln Financial is an outdoor field, right?
    ??

I like it. Gives me hope that, should we improve at QB and a few other areas, we might actually have a halfway competent offense. I certainly didn't want Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Yep, totally agree. Outside of his Lions days, his résumé is as good as you could hope for, in my opinion. I think outside of RB and QB, WCO is probably a great fit for the current roster, too. RB and QB were problems regardless of system.
    Plus I think this ensures that Sanchez will not be the starter in any way, shape or form as he simply does not have anything close to the accuracy required to run the WCO

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Mornhinweg's Offenses in Philly in Yards (as OC) - 15th, 4th, 2nd, 11th, 9th, 6th, 2nd

But of course, a couple internet geniuses don't like the (rumored) move, so PANIC! PANIC! PANIC!

Really, he's regarded as an excellent offensive mind who can't get past one monumental screw up he made as a HC in Detroit. But I'm pretty sure we're not looking for him to be our Head Coach.
    I agree V! I have no problem with this move at all. I actually like it a lot.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Also confirmed Mornhinweg is the new OC.

The Jets are expected to name Marty Mornhinweg their offensive coordinator, according to a report from Adam Caplan of PhiladelphiaEagles.com.

The Jets had Mornhinweg in for an interview late last week. He has been the Eagles offensive coordinator since 2006.

A brief look at his numbers through the years shows a definite parallel to the want ad Rex Ryan placed for the team's next offensive coordinator. Mornhinweg has consistently had top 10 offenses in passing yards, points and yards per attempt, despite the fact that his teams have been susceptible to more turnovers.

Ryan wanted a more attack-style plan after the Jets offense, led in 2012 by Tony Sparano, sunk to the bottom of the league in nearly every major category except rushing.

Normally a champion of the "ground and pound" philosophy, Ryan said his insistence on building a game plan around the run held the team back over the last two years.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I'm not sure what you are trying to imply honestly. Are you saying his offenses failed in the playoffs and cold weather?
    no, plenty of playoffs, and deep into the real cold next rounds. I thought you were talking about Philly/Marty my mistake.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    When Brady went down the Patriots didn't even make the playoffs. Yes, 11-5, but in a very polarized AFC in which 11-5 didn't get you a playoff spot.

You need an elite QB in this league to win the Superbowl.

2011 E. Manning
    2010 Rodgers
    2009 Brees
    2008 Roethlisberger
    2007 E. Manning
    2006 P. Manning
    2005 Roethlisberger
    2004 Brady
    2003 Brady
    2002 Brad Smith <---------- Can it happen? Yes.
    2001 Brady
    2000 Dilfer <--------- Both 2002 and 2000 were record defenses. We don't have that.
    1999 Warner
    1998 Elway <-----------TD factor as well. We don't have a running game right now
    1997 Elway
    1996 Favre

We need a QB. Can Sanchez improve? Sure, anyone can. History with him tells us no.
    You point about the Patriots not making the playoffs if absurd. They’re first 11-win team since the expansion to a 12-team playoff in 1990 to not make the playoffs and only the second team since the NFL expanded to a 16-game regular season in 1978. They went 11-5 after losing their all start QB in the first game.
    I don’t disagree with you about the QB point. You point out 11 different QB’s winning the last 17 SBs. The QB is primary key to winning the big game. However, above average coaching is what puts the team ahead during the regular season and advance through the playoffs. Especially when your first string QB goes down in week one!
    Mornhinweg did not run the offence in Philly. He took over play calling when Ried realized that he lost the feel of calling a game. And he did a decent job at it at the end of the season. But 2007 was a pedestrian year for McNabb and the Eagles offense as a whole, which is why Reid pulled back the offense.
    I don’t like this hire for several reasons:
    • It was not announced by our new GM so is he explicitly tied to this?
    • Since Marty is a “named” offensive mind and a prior HC, does this allow Rex to focus on the Defense only? (Two HC type of organization)
    • He is a system guy that is the completed opposite of our team so we will definitely need to give 2-3 years for the personal to align. I agree we needed to change, but this feel like the 4-3 to 3-4 transition years.
    I hope I’m wrong, but I think we could have done better.

All I can say is Marty Mornhinweg is a big departure in offensive philosophy.

He runs a wide-open west coast style offense.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 01-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    All I can say is Marty Mornhinweg is a big departure in offensive philosophy.

He runs a wide-open west coast style offense.
    Matt Flynn is supposed to be a classic pocket passer, he might fit into Mornhinweg's offense pretty well....

Rookie
    I think the player who will benefit most from a switch to a WC offense is Kerley. He was misused under the past OC
    I think BPowell as a pass catching RB will benefit as well

I like the move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nclion View Post
    I think the player who will benefit most from a switch to a WC offense is Kerley. He was misused under the past OC
    I think BPowell as a pass catching RB will benefit as well

I like the move.
    I would like McKnight to be that back?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I would like McKnight to be that back?
    Yep-another guy who might benefit from the move.

Kerley
    Powell
    McNight
    Hill if he improves

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Well props to him for having the balls to take the job, there's little to no talent on our offense. Hopefully Izdik can at least add a couple playmakers and a new guard this offseason.

All Pro
    This is a much better hire than Sparano. He actually has experience calling plays and I think he could help develop a QB.

And I know he will get more out of underused guys like McKnight and Kerley.

Mornhinweg is a clown who hasn't called plays for five years and he'll be canned alongside Rex Ryan's staff after 2013, but at least this hiring all but cements the end of Mark Sanchez's career as a Jet. I don't care what his pre-draft bio said - he does not fit into Mornhinweg's schemes. No way, no how. And forget Vick, too. Can't afford him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like it

Mornhinweg runs a traditional west coast offense.

Which means not only no more wildcat or goofy ass motion all over the place before the snap, but it also virtually guarantees that Sanchez won't be our QB next year.

The west coast offense is predicated around accuracy and quick decision making, two of Sanchez's weakest areas.

Welcome to New York, Matt Flynn.
    Does this style offense meet Rex's requirement of an 'attacking' offense? It doesn't sound like it to me.