Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets hire Mornhinweg as OC

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like it

Mornhinweg runs a traditional west coast offense.

Which means not only no more wildcat or goofy ass motion all over the place before the snap, but it also virtually guarantees that Sanchez won't be our QB next year.

The west coast offense is predicated around accuracy and quick decision making, two of Sanchez's weakest areas.

Welcome to New York, Matt Flynn.
    Yeah, and McPic was one of the most inaccurate Qb's I have ever seen. If Sanchez can get back to where he was 3 years ago, and that's a big if, I think he could make it work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    It will be a radical change from the crap that we have been seeing over the last 2 years. I dont know if we have the personnel to run a west coast offense.

Hopefully our new GM can get the new OC a QB that he can work with.
    do u think idzik had input on this hire..i know rex has final say on coaches..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Source confirms that Marty Morhinweg will, indeed, be the Jets new offensive coordinator, as @caplannfl noted. #nyj

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    60 passing plays 17 rushes here we come.
    who cares as long as we win? If we are innovative and win what will you complain about then?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    and marty can call a game..as per eagles site since 2006 when marty took over play calling eagles offense lead nfl in 25+ yard plays(unheard of in Jetland) 3RD IN TOTAL NET YARDS..5th in points per game..has orchestrated 4 of the 5 highest scoring years in eagle history..http://legacy.philadelphiaeagles.com...nhinweg_1.html
    Good stuff. As much as I love defense the rules have been skewed towards the offense in such a way that you have to be able to score and in bunches. I'm just excited to never have to look at Sparano's or Tannenbaum's face ever again.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    He's a little too pass happy for my tastes. we wanted excitement in the offense, here it comes.
    A lot of short passes to backs, and tight ends.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Source confirms that Marty Morhinweg will, indeed, be the Jets new offensive coordinator, as @caplannfl noted. #nyj
    He is an improvement from Shades.

That's about the only nice thing I can say about this one.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he can manage to field a top 10 offense, with Rex's defense this team will be in playoff contention for sure.

There's a lot of work to be done, but there's a lot to look forward to, considering where the Jets came from.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    A lot of short passes to backs, and tight ends.
    Which with out limited talent at WR could be an asset.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good question. Rex err WRECKS did say he was straying from Ground & Pound a bit. He saw the light while he was sitting on the beach and stated he did fail on offense for the first 4 years. If so, this could have been his hire.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would hope that the new GM would at least have input on the type of offense he wants to run since he will need to get players who fit into the new offense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    History tells us that coaches without talent don't do well. Look at Bellichick in Cleveland. Then he gets brady and insta-genius. But thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Not saying its a GREAT hire, but seems alittle early to hate the move.
    History does not tell us that my friend. There are plenty of the of cords and HC's who have done above average (read top 15) without a ton of talent. He won a SB with Farve on a loaded team, $hit the bed in Detroit, and took shelter under Reid's shadow for several years. He was handed the keys to the so called dream team, after Reid lost his mind and was tossing the ball 60 times a game, and did nothing. Most of the record breaking achievements were organizational records.

Sure Belly had a bad run with ONE organization, but was a winner every well else. Even when Brady went down.

It never too early to hate a bad hire! Especially, when its done before the new GM is in the building.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    everyone say hello to matt flynn.
    How is this going to happen? Unless the Jets trade a good pick I can't see Seattle taking the cap hit for trading him and then having to go out and get another backup.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Surprised at the hate for this hire. He's had a ton of success developing QBs and scoring points. Most of that was with Andy Reid (which scares me a little) but his resume (outside of a HC stint in Detroit which was a disaster) is pretty damn good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    +1. Knowing offense inside and out does not mean you can call a good game. It's a chess match mentality that guys like Sparano clearly did not possess.
    Sh1tty's failing. Everyone thought he had the knowledge, could design great plays. But he couldn't design a game plan and/or couldn't make adjustments during a game.

Too important to throw the job to someone just because he was around a good QB

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I am missing something here, he may not have done much as a HC but Mornhinweg's resume as an OC looks pretty damn impressive to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    How is this going to happen? Unless the Jets trade a good pick I can't see Seattle taking the cap hit for trading him and then having to go out and get another backup.
    not according to those who don't merely root for the Pats

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very important note from his wiki:

Coach Andy Reid gave Mornhinweg the play calling responsibilities after the Eagles' disastrous loss to the Indianapolis Colts, 45-21. The Eagles won all six games, employing a more balanced run/pass attack. The wins included an unprecedented three consecutive December divisional road games, all with a back-up quarterback, Jeff Garcia. It was the only time Reid yielded play calling responsibilities, a role Mornhinweg continued through the 2007 season.

So he can make Jeff Garcia look good too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    McElroy might work well in his system.

But we do not have Westbrook or McCoy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    everyone say hello to matt flynn.
    Or Eagles Mike Vick.