Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Matt Flynn possible trade

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    He would also come with considerably less upside than a rookie QB... backup QBs that you trade for rarely get you to the promised land...
    Ya never know what will happen until the fat lady sings!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
    Flynn might be better than Sanchez, but the problem is that he, like Sanchez is expensive. If he turns out to be a bust, and we don't know if he will or won't, the team will have lots of money tied up with two losers.

I really like the Idzik hire and would give him years to sort this mess out, but unless he was certain that Flynn was a starting QB in this league, I would be very hesitant to bring in another big-ticket, potentially non-factor QB, if I were him.

He'd have to be right on this one. That's a big fvcking risk to take in the first 6 months on the job. He has much safer paths to travel than bringing in Flynn.
    One would have to see what the deal is with Flynn... Seattle gives bonus money for contracts and prorates it over the life of the contract. Tanny gives guaranteed money and then likes to do conversions to signing bonuses to help spread out cap hits... Who is to say the if we traded for Flynn, that we would not easily be able to move on from him in 2014 if it did not work out. He is a good fit for the WCO, just not sure if he is good enough to be a starting NFL QB. However, if anyone would know that for sure it is Idzik...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Smith will be the #1 target for KC, Jacksonville and the Vikings,being 2nd IMO.
    We won't know that until the draft plays out.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but what is affordable dollars? The jets can pay a couple of mill for a qb, do you think he is going to sign for something like that or 4 years and 25 mill?

(a) I think we'll have more than 2 million to spend on a QB, when Idzik's done this offseason.

(b) We won't know what kind of contract it will take to land Smith, until we actually know who's going to be in the market for him. Which we won't have a clear picture of until after the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anyone really likes Flynn in the NFL besides Idzik so we should be able to get him for a couple mid-round picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    We won't know that until the draft plays out.

(a) I think we'll have more than 2 million to spend on a QB, when Idzik's done this offseason.

(b) We won't know what kind of contract it will take to land Smith, until we actually know who's going to be in the market for him. Which we won't have a clear picture of until after the draft.
    I'd much rather take my chances with Flynn than Alex Smith. I'm not high on Flynn but at least he's an unknown quantity. Maybe he turns out to be the next stallion out of the GB stable.

Alex Smith just sucks. JI posters are in love with him he's just Sanchez with a way better supporting cast.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    One would have to see what the deal is with Flynn... Seattle gives bonus money for contracts and prorates it over the life of the contract. Tanny gives guaranteed money and then likes to do conversions to signing bonuses to help spread out cap hits... Who is to say the if we traded for Flynn, that we would not easily be able to move on from him in 2014 if it did not work out. He is a good fit for the WCO, just not sure if he is good enough to be a starting NFL QB. However, if anyone would know that for sure it is Idzik...
    Flynn is owed about 3 years $15 mil left on his deal. It's not horrible if Idzik can make the necessary cap manuevers (cut dead weight like Tebow and Smith).