Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Flynn possible trade

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think it will depend on how much Flynn would cost. Best I could come up with is that he is scheduled in 2013 to make 2 million guaranteed and through playing time escalators can make 5.25. So the 5.25 is probably the amount you have to use to account for Flynn.

Bottom line is that IF Flynn is brought in he is going to be given the starting job. I guess we have to trust Idzik on this one, he has watched him everyday in practice and should know best about him.
    I don't think Flynn will be given the starting job. Many said the same thing last year in Seattle. Now if the Jets don't draft a guy in the first three rounds (and find our Russell Wilson, then yes he will be starting).

But also consider this, if we bring in Flynn and hand him the keys for 2013, nothing guarantees he will be starting in 2014.

Look at what Seattle did the past few years at the QB position. They kept bringing in guys every year trying to find their QB. Whether it was Whitehurst, Tavaris Jackson, Flynn. They were aggressive until they go their guy. Now they claim they are going after another type of back up.

I think we need to be this aggressive. This is what doomed Herm. We were complacent with Pennington despite all the injuries. The last 4 years we were complacent with Sanchez despite the fact the signs have always been there that he wasn'tt going to develop. Look back at the opening day game against Baltimore. I knew after watching that game, he was never going to be able to carry this team on his shoulders.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    It didn't hurt that Sherman (the Miami OC) was Tannehill's college HC. It was probably a decision between the two and Ireland chose the rookie because of higher potential.
    And one has a rookie cap and one does not.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I think it will depend on how much Flynn would cost. Best I could come up with is that he is scheduled in 2013 to make 2 million guaranteed and through playing time escalators can make 5.25. So the 5.25 is probably the amount you have to use to account for Flynn.

Bottom line is that IF Flynn is brought in he is going to be given the starting job. I guess we have to trust Idzik on this one, he has watched him everyday in practice and should know best about him.
    What we pay him next year should almost be irrelevant. Next year should be about playing our bad contracts and trying to go d a QB for the future.

Draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd, pick up Matt Flynn and make Sanchez the 3.

(Although I would prefer cutting Sanchez and eating the 17mm rather than paying him 4 next year to be on another team)

Veteran
    It didn't hurt that Sherman (the Miami OC) was Tannehill's college HC. It was probably a decision between the two and Ireland chose the rookie because of higher potential.
    I understand your logic but it still doesnt add up. If Philbin wanted Flynn he would have got him. I dont care if the GM has final say or not. If you bring in a HC and he says thats our guy and we need him to win then the GM would have got him. Its not like they had to make a big trade or give some wild contract to him. He could have been had.

Also the Tannehill decision was only made after the fact. There was no way to know for sure that they could draft Tannehill. That connection did make sense after though.

Obviously QB is the biggest decision Idzik will make this offseason. However, nothing will happen until after the draft. I think the FO will be targeting a QB in the first 3 rounds and if they don't land someone they will look to pick up a veteran in FA or trade. Flynn doesn't excite me because he didn't beat out Wilson. Lets draft a young guy to groom.

Edited to add: I would be interested in a trade for Cousins. I think he could be a stud.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Obviously QB is the biggest decision Idzik will make this offseason. However, nothing will happen until after the draft. I think the FO will be targeting a QB in the first 3 rounds and if they don't land someone they will look to pick up a veteran in FA or trade. Flynn doesn't excite me because he didn't beat out Wilson. Lets draft a young guy to groom.

Edited to add: I would be interested in a trade for Cousins. I think he could be a stud.
    I think giving up a 4 th in either 2013 or 2014 draft isn't really a huge investment. Seattle brought different QBs in every year to find their guy. I think we will do the same.

No more 4 years of unwarranted patience and blind faith.

Veteran
    If Idzik thinks Flynn is a capable starter, he'll get him. I don't think there will be a lot of competition to get him.

I think giving up a 4 th in either 2013 or 2014 draft isn't really a huge investment. Seattle brought different QBs in every year to find their guy. I think we will do the same.

No more 4 years of unwarranted patience and blind faith.
    Seattle brought in low risk, journeymen quarterbacks. They didn't make a real investment in any of them, even Flynn (He got a 2 or 3 year contract, I think). If any of them had a contract like Sanchez's, they wouldn't have moved on so quickly.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Seattle brought in low risk, journeymen quarterbacks. They didn't make a real investment in any of them, even Flynn (He got a 2 or 3 year contract, I think). If any of them had a contract like Sanchez's, they wouldn't have moved on so quickly.
    Well other than journeyman QBs, what type of QBs are available via FA or trades?

And with rookie cap in place now, a first rounder won't cost as much and shouldn't require the same allegiance. And it was obvious that Sanchez was done a lot sooner than Rex and Tanny admitted. They can't possibly have any inclination of him being an optioning 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    1 good game does not a qb make

Jets Insider VIP
    Perhaps a solid QB coach and a good shrink can bring mark back to years 1 and 2. thats the best shot we hace cuz i dont think the 8 million dollar man is going anywhere this year

All Pro
    Well Flynn can probably be had for a 4th rounder.

Safer and cheaper bet than any QB in this draft.

Safer and cheaper bet than any of the veteran options out there.

Certainly, better than anything we currently have.

No one is saying guarantee him the starting job. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Let them compete. If he is the best come August he plays. We wouldnt guarantee him a 4 year starting gig like we did Sanchez.

That's what got Tanny fired and what led to Rex Ryan being neutered.
    He would also come with considerably less upside than a rookie QB... backup QBs that you trade for rarely get you to the promised land...

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    ok then give them sanchez and a 4th.

get it done idzzy.
    4th for flynn straight up.. With sanchez part of the deal it would probably have to be a 2nd rounder not a 4th.. Unless they have some terrible contract baggage they too would like to dump.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I'm wondering if Kevin Kolb might be a possibility now that Morninweg is our new OC. Kolb was pretty good with Philly

Listen, Mark is awful, we know that. However this offense is set up for any incoming QB to fail. If Flynn came in he would probably fail to.

Alex Smith is perfect for a WCO.....and the Niners can cut him prior to April 1st and only be dinged with 1 million in dead cap space, which I suspect they'll do.

Depending on how many suitors Smith has, and what the market then dictates his value to be, he'd be my choice to sign if he can come affordably on a not too terribly long contract.

Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    If Idzik thinks Flynn is a capable starter, he'll get him. I don't think there will be a lot of competition to get him.
    i agree and can see this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Alex Smith is perfect for a WCO.....and the Niners can cut him prior to April 1st and only be dinged with 1 million in dead cap space, which I suspect they'll do.

Depending on how many suitors Smith has, and what the market then dictates his value to be, he'd be my choice to sign if he can come affordably on a not too terribly long contract.
    Smith will be the #1 target for KC, Jacksonville and the Vikings,being 2nd IMO.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but what is affordable dollars? The jets can pay a couple of mill for a qb, do you think he is going to sign for something like that or 4 years and 25 mill?

Flynn might be better than Sanchez, but the problem is that he, like Sanchez is expensive. If he turns out to be a bust, and we don't know if he will or won't, the team will have lots of money tied up with two losers.

I really like the Idzik hire and would give him years to sort this mess out, but unless he was certain that Flynn was a starting QB in this league, I would be very hesitant to bring in another big-ticket, potentially non-factor QB, if I were him.

He'd have to be right on this one. That's a big fvcking risk to take in the first 6 months on the job. He has much safer paths to travel than bringing in Flynn.

hope Smith doesn't come here. Harbaugh is the reason for his success.