Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Flynn possible trade

Rookie
    He is better than sanchez...

Veteran
    I'd take him over any QB we have on the roster now.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He's pretty limited physically, no? His arm leaves a bit to be desired. What I do like is his quick, compact, straight over the top delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adud3fLmUJ8
    I have to say I agree with your assessment ... This video illustrated one point clearly ... He is much better than Sackchez. Flynn actually looks off the safety !

Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Im a fan of whoever wins us games. If that is Sanchez then great. Currently I am of the believe that we need to bring in someone else.

With that said we need to be smart about it. What has you so convinced that Flynn is the answer? Because he put up huge numbers against one of the worst defenses in the league with one of the most talented offenses? The guy performed for 2 or 3 games! Hell even Sanchez has done that.

Or how about the fact that he was the backup this year since week 1. I dont care what you think about Wilson or how good he is now the fact is they paid big money to Flynn and he couldnt even beat out a 3rd round rookie QB to be the week 1 starter.
    I agree with a lot of Jet31's points. Matt Flynn does come with some risks. But to me it seems like he's our best available option. I have no interest in Alex Smith or Vick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I have to say I agree with your assessment ... This video illustrated one point clearly ... He is much better than Sackchez. Flynn actually looks off the safety !
    When you have Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, J Finley, James Jones as weapons it creates mismatches for the defensive backs , it gives the QB the luxury to go through his reads , look off defenders and make a throw.

Try doing that same thing with Chaz Schilens, Mardy Gilyard, Clyde Gates and Dustin Keller.

Quote Originally Posted by @lex View Post
    He is better than sanchez...
    Was he better than Russell Wilson ??

Was Kevin Kolb better than Mike Vick

Was Scott Mitchell better than whoever he replaced.

Flynn sat the bench this year for a reason, he didn't end up in Mia for his old OC for a reason , he was overhyped because of a good game in a stacked GB offense.

Why do people keep denigrating Russell Wilson when noting that Flynn was beaten out by 'rookie'?

Wilson is probably the best of a very good bunch of rookie QB's this year - its no disgrace to get beaten out by him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Not sure if this is true or not, we know how media speculation is, but this only proves the point.

If Philbin thought this was his guy then you go get him. You dont low ball your franchise QB and hope he signs on!

He isnt the guy.
    Thank you!!!!!

Matt Flynn!!!

Good Grief!!!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Caught_Jetster View Post
    Why do people keep denigrating Russell Wilson when noting that Flynn was beaten out by 'rookie'?

Wilson is probably the best of a very good bunch of rookie QB's this year - its no disgrace to get beaten out by him.
    That is easy to say now but at the beginning of the season when you pay a lot of money to bring in Flynn and Wilson was only drafted in the 3rd round it says a lot when Flynn isn't the week one starter.

The job was Flynns to lose and thats just what he did.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    A friend of mine in Wisconsin is a die-hard Packers fan. I asked him last week if Flynn was actually any good. He said he's the real deal and should be starting somewhere.
    Make it happen, Idziky.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    A friend of mine in Wisconsin is a die-hard Packers fan. I asked him last week if Flynn was actually any good. He said he's the real deal and should be starting somewhere.
    LOL.....well that settles it then. Some Jet fans also thought Brett Ratliff was the real deal and should be starting somewhere too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Make it happen, Idziky.
    Turn on the gosh darn spell check.

Your a MOD for Christs sake!

Hall Of Fame
    Another piece of info to note is that Seattle hasnt had the best success in taking back up QBs from other teams and turning them into starters. In 2010 Seattle traded a 3rd round pick to San Diego for Charlie Whitehurst and gave him 8 million dollars to be their starter.

All League
    Well Flynn can probably be had for a 4th rounder.

Safer and cheaper bet than any QB in this draft.

Safer and cheaper bet than any of the veteran options out there.

Certainly, better than anything we currently have.

No one is saying guarantee him the starting job. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Let them compete. If he is the best come August he plays. We wouldnt guarantee him a 4 year starting gig like we did Sanchez.

That's what got Tanny fired and what led to Rex Ryan being neutered.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well Flynn can probably be had for a 4th rounder.

Safer and cheaper bet than any QB in this draft.

Safer and cheaper bet than any of the veteran options out there.

Certainly, better than anything we currently have.

No one is saying guarantee him the starting job. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. Let them compete. If he is the best come August he plays. We wouldnt guarantee him a 4 year starting gig like we did Sanchez.

That's what got Tanny fired and what led to Rex Ryan being neutered.
    How is he cheaper than drafting a QB?

Plus giving up a 4th for Flynn AND drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd would be foolish IMO. IF you bring in Flynn you are giving him the starting job. There is no way you pay him that money and sit him. There is already going to be a sizable amount of money tied up with Sanchez whether he is on the team or not and you can not bring in Flynn and pay him 7 million dollars to sit.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How is he cheaper than drafting a QB?

Plus giving up a 4th for Flynn AND drafting a guy in the 2nd or 3rd would be foolish IMO. IF you bring in Flynn you are giving him the starting job. There is no way you pay him that money and sit him. There is already going to be a sizable amount of money tied up with Sanchez whether he is on the team or not and you can not bring in Flynn and pay him 7 million dollars to sit.
    OK, without bringing in Flynn, the Jets will be forced to either play Sanchez, bring in another scrub backup like Garrard or Matt Moore.

So with that in mind, we can reach on a QB at 9 and start them when everyone knows they aren't ready or keep Playing Sanchez.

Giving up a 4th for Flynn is better than giving up a 1 for Barkley or Wilson.

At this point, the only thing that would be worse than playing Sanchez is paying and playing vick.

Flynn is a much better option than Moore, Garrard, Campbell. And he would be cheaper than going after Alex Smith.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    OK, without bringing in Flynn, the Jets will be forced to either play Sanchez, bring in another scrub backup like Garrard or Matt Moore.

So with that in mind, we can reach on a QB at 9 and start them when everyone knows they aren't ready or keep Playing Sanchez.

Giving up a 4th for Flynn is better than giving up a 1 for Barkley or Wilson.

At this point, the only thing that would be worse than playing Sanchez is paying and playing vick.

Flynn is a much better option than Moore, Garrard, Campbell. And he would be cheaper than going after Alex Smith.
    I think it will depend on how much Flynn would cost. Best I could come up with is that he is scheduled in 2013 to make 2 million guaranteed and through playing time escalators can make 5.25. So the 5.25 is probably the amount you have to use to account for Flynn.

Bottom line is that IF Flynn is brought in he is going to be given the starting job. I guess we have to trust Idzik on this one, he has watched him everyday in practice and should know best about him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Is Philbin the GM or owner of the fins.

How do you know that he didn't want him.
    Exactly, philbin is the head coach, not the gm. He may have input but not the final say. Sounds like the gm liked tannehil more

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Exactly, philbin is the head coach, not the gm. He may have input but not the final say. Sounds like the gm liked tannehil more
    And the offensive coordinator. I think he had much of the input on that decision.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    It didn't hurt that Sherman (the Miami OC) was Tannehill's college HC. It was probably a decision between the two and Ireland chose the rookie because of higher potential.