Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WCO- How are we going to make the Transition

WCO- How are we going to make the Transition

Football discussion Shocking huh??

What are going to be The challenges we will have going from Ground n pound to a WCO. How would our existing roster adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by King Pepa View Post

What are going to be The challenges we will have going from Ground n pound to a WCO. How would our existing roster adapt.
    Time to bring back Chad Pennington.

first the jets need to draft or pick up in FA some quality players in the skilled positions. we have no playmakers right now. its going to take some time. ive been waiting for 30 yrs, so a few more yrs in no biggie.

I would think it would start with cutting Sanchez, Greene

signing Reggie Bush (a pass catching, speedy/playmaking HB) would be a good start.

But our cap is such a mess, I doubt we'll be going that route.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by King Pepa View Post

Well its all about the QB. I think its going to take at least two years. First you have to find a competent QB---very difficult.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm not too worried about a transition period in that the Jets offense is transitioning from nothing.

New coaches, new front office, to sit back and enjoy the ride is my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Time to bring back Chad Pennington.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not thrilled about the WCO. But after these past two years, I will take any offense I can get.

To answer your question, I don't see Sanchez excelling if we run a WCO b.c the only thing worse than his accuracy is his decision making. I think McElroy might do better in a WCO but I do not see him as a long-term answer.

Alex Smith would be perfect but I do not want to give up picks for him.

No matter who we get to play QB, we are going to have to invest in and improve our OL. That is the key IMO. We can live with average RBs if we improve our OL.

What is going to be interesting is to see what we do with the TEs and WRs. With little money to spend in FA I do not expect much changes in personnel. Will Keller be back? I doubt it. I think Holmes and Kerley will be good in any offense. It will be interesting to see how much improvement Hill makes. He could add a really great dimension to the offense, but that is asking a lot of him.

Mornhinweg has his work cut out for him.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-18-2013 at 06:59 PM.

sanchez will be asked to take a pay cut if not he wont be given a legit chance at the starting qb job and he will sit and rot and we will go with either mcelroy tebow or ?.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think Greene is gone. We'll need an RB who can catch passes. McKnight showed some flashes... not saying he's our feature back at all, but he could be in line for a bigger role.

Keller could come back. You need pass catching TEs and he certainly fits the bill.

Holmes and Kerley would seem suited for the WCO. Hill, not so much. Not sure what we'll do with Edwards.

I think a change at QB is a coming..

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I think Greene is gone. We'll need an RB who can catch passes. McKnight showed some flashes... not saying he's our feature back at all, but he could be in line for a bigger role.

Keller could come back. You need pass catching TEs and he certainly fits the bill.

Holmes and Kerley would seem suited for the WCO. Hill, not so much. Not sure what we'll do with Edwards.

agree. edwards become a major contributor to this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    first the jets need to draft or pick up in FA some quality players in the skilled positions. we have no playmakers right now. its going to take some time. ive been waiting for 30 yrs, so a few more yrs in no biggie.
    Would see Reggie Bush as a great fit moving forward though not sure if we can afford him. at 28 I think Bush still has several good years in him and his receiving skills make him a very attractive option.I see a bit of a Thomas Jones style situation where he could be poised to have some of his bigger seasons as a late bloomer.

Wouldn't be shocked if the player to gain the most here with this move is Joe McKnight.I think he's been criminally under utilised up until now and going into a contract year I can see a scenario where he breaks out at last.

Would love to see Tavon Austin in green.electrifying player in a not-too-dissimilar mode to DeSean Jackson.

I can't see all 3 of the above happening but each alone isn't beyond the realms of possibility.Certainly agree we need playmakers.

Didn't Schottenheimer run a west coast offense?

All League
    I personally think the WCO offense is an ideal fit for most of our WR's, with the exception of Hill, but Hill can be the guy used to stretch the field vertically while guys like Holmes, Kerley and Gates work underneath.

I think McKnight is a fit for the WCO, Greene definitely is not, and I don't think Powell is too great of a fit either. A RB like Andre Ellington or Joseph Randle could be options in the 3rd round of the draft to help here.

The obvious elephant in the room is QB. Sanchez isn't an ideal fit for any scheme, but least of all the WCO. Timing and accuracy are key, and we don't have that QB on the roster. Ryan Nassib in round 2 could work in a WCO, but the best fit is Geno Smith, in my opinion. Worth the # 9 pick? Some think he'll go #1, some wouldn't touch him at 9. I don't know if they will or won't, and can't decide if they should or shouldn't yet, but the chances they will are more likely now than they were yesterday for Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Pretty sure Paul Hackett did too

All League
    No. I believe it was the Coryell Offense.

No he didnt, neither did Sparano. They ran the Erhardt system for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

this!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Well its all about the QB. I think its going to take at least two years. First you have to find a competent QB---very difficult.
    well lets see, how long did it take Wilson, Luck and RG3? Even Sanchez did fine in year 1. While it is difficult it can be done.